Pls Help Test Z9X with Oppo 203

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by B0RN, Apr 17, 2023.

1. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

Mark mentioned that FEL support may be coming in 2024 on Zidoo's so maybe it'll be supported in next year's models... pure speculation on my part.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2023
  2. Jimbo Randy

Jimbo Randy Active Member

@B0RN One thing I DO want to add though....if you search Reddit (i'm sorry), you'll see that there is no short supply of people complaining about how LG OLEDs DV looks better on the internal apps vs the nvidia shield. And the Shield does have the CMv.4.0......so it's very well possible that it's not necessarily an issue with external players....but maybe something that the LG OLED internal players are doing differently?

3. Jimbo Randy

@B0RN sorry for multiple replies, but can you tell me if there is a difference in PQ between Oppo and Zidoo is normal Cinema mode? (not home). I know there's a differene between the C9 internal player and Zidoo, but I'm wondering about Oppo vs. Zidoo.

4. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

Its because Shield has the red push issue most likely.

Jimbo Randy likes this.
  5. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

Havent done these comparisons yet as mentioned above. Just started using Cinema mode and only watched content in C9.

Jimbo Randy likes this.
  6. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

CMv2.9 is not an outdated product, it is still current. CMv4 simply gives more artistic choice and it's down to the customer to decide which way they want to go - there are a lot of variables to consider.

As you know, the Realtek 1619 series of SOCs uses the Dolby Vision VS10 engine which is essentially a black box in programming terms, so Zidoo and Realtek have no control of what rattles around inside its rusty innards. VS10 was released around 2015 from memory and incidentally the Oppo uses VS10 as do a lot of other products you wouldn't necessarily know about.

Whichever version is used, it's just content mapping metadata which only comes into play to a greater or lesser degree depending on how close the display matches the ability to display the Dolby Master without metadata, and LG displays come quite close. Differences between the two are subtle at best and yes you can create a test video and show that this trim does this and that trim does that but in reality, in a real world grade the changes are subtle and if you sit in front of a decent PVM with a Dolby Grade and the associated HDR10 grade, pound to a pinch of salt you're going to have a hard time telling which is which.

Whatever's going on with you guys, it's not down to the Content Mapping algo.

7. Reset_9999

Reset_9999 Member

LOL, that's true for the trim passes but CMv4.0 is a lot more than that!!!!
    CMV4.0 has more metadata levels. The mastering display color(L9) is declared shot by shot and there is the level 3 offset that works with L1 which makes a huge difference on brightness. L11 too is shot by shot and can adjust the color temperature.
    You obviously have done no comparison and you base your opinion on what you read online.

Similar to what you keep saying about FEL and how it has no impact and its just marketing BS which is totally not true.

8. Markswift2003

Not denying that CMv4 has a lot more options, but the question was why does Zidoo support CMv2.9 only.

And regardless, differences are subtle.

I base such opinions on friends & colleagues who do this for a living.

9. Jimbo Randy

I need clarification on something. What is the difference between VS10 and CMvx.x. I'm seeing both called "engines." I just wanted to make sure I understand the definitions of each.

10. Markswift2003

That's a bit like asking the difference between a motorbike and a toaster - they're just different things. I've never heard of content mapping referred to as an engine...

11. Jimbo Randy

Got it. I think we've all been calling CM the engine by mistake in this thread. So CM is the content mapper. Makes sense thx.

Markswift2003 likes this.
  12. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

Been doing some quick testing and in Cinema mode... I cant tell a difference between the 3 devices. This content is all web streams im testing.

13. Jimbo Randy

Didn't you say before though that you COULD tell a difference, even in Cinema mode? Or did we perhaps misunderstand each other? One sec, I'll try to link the comment.

http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?goto/post&id=193314#post-193314

14. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

Turns out picture settings werent switched at that time between sources. They needed to be manually changed on C9 plex. I made sure everything was identical now and no difference between them all 3.
    I will do more tests between z9x and oppo with UHDs but can't do that with C9 (its a massive pain to do conversion like that). Though i dont anticipate anything odd there either.

Jimbo Randy likes this.
  15. Jimbo Randy

Interesting. That would be quite funny if this ends up being the reason!

Hey @matien , are you perhaps using Cinema Home as well?

Hey @Reset_9999 , what are your thoughts on this? You said you were on a C2 or C3? Are you by any chance using Cinema Home as well when you were testing?

16. matien

matien New Member

I'm pretty sure I was using Cinema Mode when I did the test. The movie I tested in the post back up several pages was ripped from a UHD and remuxed into a ts file using Dovi_Tool so C9 internal player can play it as DV. I also tested some other movies in mp4 format ripped from streaming source like Bullet Train and John Wick 4. They all show pretty much the same difference between C9 internal player and Zidoo Z9x pro.

B0RN likes this.
  17. Jimbo Randy

Ah ok. I thought maybe we had figured it out.

18. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

Would MP4s work on c9?

19. matien

matien New Member

20. Reset_9999

Reset_9999 Member

My TV is calibrated (HDR10/DV/SDR) and is in a pitch-black room. I'm not using the inaccurate cinema home mode (never will).

EDIT:, if any of you guys have a capture card. Give me a LLDV capture sample and I can directly compare it to the Shield/x700/x800m2/chromecast (No TV involved when you use a capture card).

Last edited: Jul 1, 2023
    B0RN likes this.