New firmware v2.1.14 beta version for ZIDOO X9S released(Music 3.0 upgrade to 3.1.8)

Discussion in 'X9S Official Firmware Releases' started by zidoo, Sep 26, 2018.

1. deusexe

deusexe Member

And how play WEB-DL h264? I mean stutter every 11-12 minutes?

2. Sarco

Sarco Active Member Beta test group

I do not have web-dl ...

3. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Web-dl are grabs of streaming services which are very popular these days. Yet another format to support. A structural problem with this format is that it is impossible to be absolutely sure the source being grabbed was 100% prefect as no error recovery is done on it.

Will have a look at OpenWRT.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
  4. Sarco

I stream Netflix Dolby Vision with my tv, no need to download :)

5. vman

vman Member

Updated to new firmware and Movie Theater 2.0 won’t recognize Solo A Star Wars Story or Sicario Day of the Soldier. I tried using the IMDb number and searching the titles and it says not found.

What am I doing wrong?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
  6. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

Zidoo guys!

I think general consent is to get the player fixed first. Sure the cosmetic upgrades are nice but as you can see in this forum a lot of people downgrades to FW 2.0.15 or looking for alternative boxes to play videos.

I think the priorities are:
    1. Stutter in Web-Dl mp4 L4.0 and below.
    2. Random skipped frames on the rest of HD and 4K movies.

I'm sure there is the whole list of other issues throughout the forums but the main concerns are the 2 above.

Let us know if you have any progress or what the issue is.

If the player from 2.0.15 worked than maybe you could make a patch to reverse player only for people with frame related issues.

Thanks for new firmware and music updates but we all are waiting for player fix.

7. burton

burton Member

One positive thing is the aspect ratio options that fixed dvd ratios at last!
    But the problem with interlaced 2:3 pulldown etc movies (mostly from dvds) that are 23,976 29,97 and 59,94 still the player plays them at 20fps or 30,30fps with stutter

8. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

I have videos from my older Sony camcorder in 1080i 60fps. Really bad stutter, unwatchable.

9. zidoo

zidoo Member SUPER Administrator

Appie72 likes this.
  10. godalmighty

godalmighty Active Member

sorry to say but why dont you try download the hevc web-dl coz when i tried it show no stuttering
    and for other HD or 4K files, i dont see any frames skip
    usually my files is 1080p HEVC 10bit and sometimes 2160p hevc 10bit HDR, all in low bitrate
    but with hig bitrate like bd.iso/bdmv i still dont see any frames skip or stuttering :(
    maybe its just my eyes that cannot notice that issues, lucky me :D

11. Nice Monkey

Not included in the data-base yet is a very likely cause. These are very recent movies, just give it some time. :)

Looked at some movies on BD, UHD and DVD. I don't see any stuttering or frame skips on those and my DVD's (PAL 25 fps and NTSC 29.97 fps.) plus 1080i TV recordings are all de- interlaced as should be. The aspect-ratio options worked fine now for the DVD's I tried too. :)
    @3DBuff Sure this is not caused by a bottle-neck in IO transfers somewhere or somehow? Try a factory reset to cleanup the box, or do an emergency image-reload?

Had one crash of media-center requiring a manual power off "unfortunately media center has stopped". No idea what triggered this yet. :(

Using media-center watched videos are tagged automatically which is very nice, I am missing now a simple manual option to un-tag them if not watched completely for whatever reason. ;)

Overall I am happy with this update! Good improvements made. :cool:

12. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

HEVC files don't have the stutter issue. Only mp4 L4.0 typically Web-Dl and below with low CPU usage exhibit the stutter.
    Link to the sample slow motion video:
    http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?thr...or-zidoo-x9s-release.10134/page-17#post-44803

@godalmighty we already had this discussion. There is no point in finding files that work. Web-Dl mp4 is the source for hevc. Hevc is recompressed version of original mp4 file to save space. Those are early releases before BD versions. Sometime you run into it.

13. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

@Nice Monkey are we all on the same Zidoo X9S with the same firmware 2.1.12?

Didn't you read this thread from the first page? Can you go back to first page post #8 @Ekul is the first person testing and posting the list of issues. Next post #16 and look at #25. The stutter issue is still there exactly the same as before and documented in the link from my post above.

Single frame skips are a little harder to spot but if you can't see it it does not mean they are not there. I got @hdmkv confirming single frame skips over at Kodi thread :)
    https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=291943&pid=2777090#pid2777090

You can't deny it now ;)

14. Nice Monkey

Also tested one of the big new features being optical drive attachment: CD-ROM playback!
    For the test I ripped my LG Blu-Ray Burner from my PC temporarily, which next was connected using an External SATA cable to my X9S.

Findings:
    - Was immediately found at boot as a new CD-ROM device. Media Center has a special menu for that when selected.
    - The status of the drive is also correctly shown: Nodisk, open, mounting, CD/DVD/BD with the Volume label of the inserted.
    - Using the menu button there is an Eject option which correctly opens the drive when selected. One needs to go back to the root of the disc first before this option shows up.
    - First popped in a few of my "DTS Blu-RAY Music Demo Discs". These where recognized and also the BD-menu worked, but playback showed lots of freezes. Probably due to buffering problems. I know these discs ask a lot of the player as these run at very high bit-rates at 60 Hz Video frame-rate with 96 KHz Master HD for the Audio. Maybe this can be improved? I am available for further tests.
    - Next tried a few normal Video BD's which did not give these problems. Once running there is no difference between optical, HDD or network based playback except for loading times of BD-Menus which can take a lot of time.
    - It played also Audio-DVD next to standard Video-DVD. Obviously Audio CD's are not recognized (would require digital extraction).
    - Data files on either CD, DVD or BD are found and all media formats supported by the player will also play from optical discs.

Overall verdict "very nice" as CD-ROM really seems to work as a first impression and with a good user interface too. :cool:

@3DBuff Will pop-in a real optical Video-BD and look for the problem. ;)
    Are we talking ZDMC here? Never using KODI myself except for testing.
    Watched a BD movie but I still don't see it. Maybe its just me (too old)?

15. Sarco

I tried with my old Samsung SE-506B 2011 USB, all function like mount unmount open work. When trying to play original BD popup for play or BD menu is there. When starting movie black screen but info for BD are there, and unfortunately "Galery stop". Good start!

16. Nice Monkey

Never saw that error. Difference between CD-ROM drives or specific for USB? We need more people to try this.

17. Sarco

My BD drive is old 2011...

18. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

Here is my test for BD external drive to support Zidoo and forum community.
    External LG USB 2.0 BD player and recorder.
    All original BD disk black screen using BD menu and trying to play movie. 3D disk will switch TV output to 3D and black screen.
    Disks that were ripped into ISO and recorded back into writable disk play with strong stutter. Eject always works, it's a start :)

My 2 cents on this external BD Drive. Why would anybody waste the time on this if $50 BD player does it all.
    We bought Zidoo as file media player and please focus on fixing player issues.

19. Sarco

I think BD drive implementation would able developer to produce a multimedia plateform like X20 with one BD drive maybe 4K in the future.

20. blasiusx

blasiusx Member

Why should I connect a BD Drive to a MediaPlayer? For me only a gimmick, nothing more. If I want to watch a BluRay, I can do the same in the "real" BD player directly on the TV.

@zidoo
    Can you please reintroduce the function that you can skip videos directly during playback?! So, during playback, you can jump to the previous or next video file by pressing fast the chapter or "arrow up / down" button twice on the IR during playback. If there are chapters, that works no longer since this firmware. With the 2.0.34 was still working.

Now the "Arrow Up / Down" and "Chapter" buttons have the same function. This is actually illogical and wastes opportunities.

And the "Info" button does not exist on the "Basic" IR. So, the owners of a Zidoo can no longer access the video information simply by pressing a button with this Basic remote control. That was nice and clear before, in which you once pressed the cursor right or left, then you had the most important information at a glance, even during playback. But not anymore, since the GUI of the player was changed. These are many disadvantages, and we only have the "Basic" IR, without Info Button.