HDR10+

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by rozel, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Something odd is going on, I'm just not sure what.

2. mijacmad

mijacmad Member

I know, it's totally frustrating because there is judder on 50/60Hz which is completely resolved by using the framerate switch to 24fps, but you are then stuck with just standard HDR. Could it possibly be something to do with the additional settings that are available right at the end of all the normal settings (if that makes any sense)??

3. Markswift2003

Sorry not sure what you mean?

4. mijacmad

mijacmad Member

Settings/Other/About/Advanced Settings - Was wondering if it was something within those that could be causing issue with the HDR10+

5. cucnz

cucnz Active Member

i have mine set auto (so it usually sits on 2160p/60hz)
    When i play an HDR10+ like Alita or The Boys tv series , i set /Display/HDR to Mappping HDR10

Alita plays perfectly with no judders or the DV/DA issues the same file has if i set it for DV

my Z9X shows im in HDR10+ ar 23.976 fps
    My Panasonic oled shows HDR10+ at 24 Fps
    Watched 2 seasons of The boys in HDR10+ as well as Full alita and honest its Judder free

6. cucnz

cucnz Active Member

tried different HDMI cables to the Zidoo?

i had 8k hdmi chinese cables which wouldnt pass well
    got a local one and all DV HLG HDR10+ working fine now

7. Markswift2003

No, I don't think so - HDR10+ is just extra meta-data sitting on HDR10 video - it's just there or it isn't.

As I say, when playing 23~30Hz HDR10+ content, that metadata is definitely there - I can confirm that with the Vertex - so if indeed the Samsung isn't using that data, it would seem to be a compatibility issue.

8. mijacmad

mijacmad Member

It's strange that it works with other devices though right? Amazon Cube and inbuilt apps.

9. mijacmad

mijacmad Member

Yep all cables are certified - the HDR10+ works without flaw in the correct framerate with other devices and inbuilt apps but just the zidoo has issue playing only 50/60HZ HDR10+

10. mijacmad

mijacmad Member

Am going to borrow a HDR10+ compatible BD player, will report back with findings.

11. Markswift2003

That'll be interesting - particularly if that player allows you to play the files you've been trying...

12. mijacmad

mijacmad Member

Well if it plays through 24fps with HDR10+ showing as being received on the TV then it's definitely the Zidoo with issues and not the TV.

13. cucnz

cucnz Active Member

what HDR10+ content is in 50/60 hz ?

Alita The Boys hdr10+ stuff is in 23.976 hz and auto plays it fine
    why would you "upscale" it from 23.976 to 50 or 60 hz ?

14. mijacmad

mijacmad Member

I'm not trying to upscale anything. The only way I'm receiving HDR10+ is when it is set to 50 or 60Hz. When set to native framerate HDR10+ is disabled and it's just standard HDR. This is not happening though with Amazon cube set to native framerate or inbuilt plex/amazon prime of the tv - the tv reports 24p HDR10+ with all of them, all except the zidoo.

15. cucnz

cucnz Active Member

in quick settings mine is set to
    /Display /Framerate switch /frame rate and resolution ticked

/Display /HDMI mode/ auto ticked
    /Display/ colour settings / 4k 50-60 priority yuv420 10 bit
    /Display/ colour settings / 4k23-30 priority yuv422 10 bit
    /Display/ HDR / Mapping HDR10 for HDR10+

and its working ok
    any thing different in that lot ?

16. mijacmad

mijacmad Member

Are you sure your're TV is reporting HDR10+ correctly?

I have all those settings other than HDR Mapping which is set to auto, there is no need to have this set permanently as I don't want HDR constantly on.

Again using these settings, HDR10+ defaults to normal HDR. Change the setting for Framerate switch to off and resolution to auto and magically the TV reports HDR10+ but it's only at 60hz which when playing 24fps content naturally causes a judder. The TV reports the HDR10+ fine if framerate switch is set to off but only at 50Hz or 60Hz.

When I have used an Amazon Fire cube which supports HDR10+, you can also set the framerate on that device to automatically detect the native framerate. Playback of exactly the same file via plex app and the TV reports HDR10+ in 24fps without fault, the same goes for the TV's own plex and amazon apps, all can enable auto framerate, tv also detects HDR10+ 24fps.

The only device that is not reporting HDR10+ on the tv info at native framerate is the Zidoo.

17. cucnz

cucnz Active Member

sorry what i meant is IF i want HDR10+ at 23.976 framerate thats the settings i use

IF i want HLG or Dolby vision from the video file i set /HDR/ to auto
    If i want DV for old tv series like Space1999 from 1975 i use a forced DV setting (and it can look awesome if a lil crushed in blacks

using my settings heres S/s from Alita

Attached Files:

18. mijacmad

mijacmad Member

It's just odd that every other device and app reports HDR10+ 24fps to the Q90T but for the Zidoo. The Samsung doesn't support DV so automatically it would go to HDR10+ anyhow if set to auto, I did try the HDR option it just stayed on 100% of the time and still didn't report HDR10+

19. cucnz

cucnz Active Member

Dont know sorry

i can tell you what i use when i want HDR10+ ,and what i swap HDR settings to when im wanting to view other types ....AUTO wont choose HDR10+ (for Alita anyway since it has both hdr10+ and DV)

and show the s/s of the working outputs

its working fine for Zidoo with Panasonic Tvs

20. mijacmad

mijacmad Member

For me it will ignore DV anyhow being Samsung, I've also tried setting resolution on the zidoo to permanently 24Hz and still no HDR10+. The BD player Im borrowing this week is panasonic so will see if that responds the same way to HDR10+, but the Amazon cube and multiple apps haven't so far, they've worked with HDR10+ without fault.