HDR dropping every few minutes

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X9S' started by onek24, Mar 10, 2018.

1. onek24

onek24 New Member

No offense but i would appreciate it, if you could create a new thread for the ARC issue since this seems to be a topic which couldn't get resolved in 1 post.

Here is the version 2.0.15:

http://www.android-mediaplayer.de/i...FOR-ZIDOO-X9S-RELEASE/?postID=92703#post92703

I have already installed it and it seems to be working quite fine so far

2. onek24

onek24 New Member

I think that this still has something to do with the Zidoo or the cables.

A friend of mine has the exact same configuration (except for tv). He is using a Zidoo x8 with a Denon X1300W and for him this is working out quite fine. He never had such an issue... Since the Zidoo is also working with my TV, i think the error is somewhere with my Zidoo and my Denon.

Of course it might be that my Denon is bricked, but then again, why is only the HDR dropping sometimes? Everything else like 4:4:4 chroma subsampling, HDR 12 and 4k@60 is working

3. JohnS

JohnS Member

Have you tried YOUR unit with HIS setup to see if the problem persists?

4. onek24

onek24 New Member

Would have if he wouldn't be 300 kilometers away...

5. JohnS

JohnS Member

It's a good reason for visit! Barbecue and beers (zidoo is just an excuse!)

6. onek24

onek24 New Member

Update:

Tried new cables: Zidoo to Denon 0.5meters and Denon to TV 1 meter. So in total thats 1.5 meters and way less then the 4 meters before. Issue still occurs as frequently as before.

I'll try another pair of higher quality cables tomorrow, if that doesn't help ill try to discuss this issue with denon support.

Since i dont know if this is a zidoo issue or a denon issue, i will keep this thread updated.

7. JohnS

JohnS Member

I suppose your friend tried the same file with the same settings right? You have the same avr as him?

8. onek24

onek24 New Member

I have the same AVR. No HDR movies work, thats the thing...

Fun fact: My Zidoo can play 4k, 10 bit HDR movies with a video bandwidth of 140 Mbit/s without a Problem(except for HDR one)! How is it that 10 bit is an issue in general?

9. JohnS

JohnS Member

So if your friends zidoo plays the exact same file with the exact same settings and he is not having issues I believe it's your tv or player. You understand that the same file with the same equipment should be played exactly the same.
    I don't have an 4K tv or a Denon avr and cannot help any further, I just want to understand why some people having problems and others don't

10. Sarco

Sarco Active Member Beta test group

11. SaskMedia

SaskMedia Member

My previous non hdr Denon had issues with 3D. I had to disable video conversion on the receiver.

12. onek24

onek24 New Member

I dont have any conversation on mine. Just plain HDMI passtrough.

13. onek24

onek24 New Member

Cable is not the problem.

Any Ideas?

14. SaskMedia

SaskMedia Member

if the zidoo works fine connected to the TV then I think it’s something weird with your receiver. Do you have access to another 4K HDR device such as an Apple TV 4K to test with? Do you have a Costco or other retailer nearby that has a no questions asked return policy (buy a Apple TV 4K, test, and then return).

15. Christian

Christian New Member

Try FW before 2.0.5. That's where the problem started for me.

16. onek24

onek24 New Member

So this issue is still up to date.

I tried out the following(in addition):
    - Resetting the TV to factory
    - Resetting the Denon to factory
    - Resetting the Zidoo x9s to factory

Every device has it's newest version available. The Zidoo has the version 2.0.15. The cables i use are very high quality cables. I also tried a bunch of other cables, still got 6 cables lying around here which i all tested...

Since cables are no problem, what else should i try?

Oh and i also tried to connect my PC to the Denon and TV. When playing in 4k with HDR active, everything works just fine, no HDR dropouts.

I already requested support from Zidoo, but i didn't receive an answer for months...

17. Random_Vibration

Random_Vibration Active Member

In your postings about the cables you've tried, the words "premium certified" seems to not be present. I would stop shopping for cables that call themselves "HDMI 2.0b", "18 GBPS", "High Speed", or any other designation other than "premium certified". If it isn't "premium certified", don't buy it because it may or may not work. "Premium Certified" means it has been 'certified' to 18 GBPS. That would be the first thing I would do to the exclusion of anything else. Once I am using "premium certified" cable, I would see the results and troubleshoot from there. I am using an Zidoo X9s -> Marantz NR1608 -> LG OLED C6 in at one location and a Zidoo X8 -> Samsung JS8500 and have no such issues. I am also using "premium certified" HDMI cable end to end. I have other devices such as Oppo UDP-203 and Samsung UBD-K8500 attached to these set-ups with "premium certified" cables and everything just works. Use what you wish and disregard this suggestion at your own peril.

Alot of HDMI vendors out there with alot of claims about capability. Only "premium certified" cables have actually been tested to work. "Should work" is different than "does work".

Last edited: May 28, 2018
  18. onek24

onek24 New Member

Hello,
    thanks for your suggesting that this still might be an issue from the cable.

This is the main cable i am using:
    http://www.oehlbach.com/de/detail/index/sArticle/255

Oelbach is quite a big name, so i would trust them if they sell their cables with 18 Gbit/s. The exact same(quite expensive) cables are on my fathers configuration using a Zidoo X8 and with a Denon X1300W like me, other TV tho. Works perfectly.... If i connect my PC to my Denon and TV and play 4k@60fps with HDR enabled, everything works fine with the exact same cables. Since my PC can actually play 60 fps(and hz) @ 4K with HDR enabled, the troughput for the cables must be quite large. So my best bet would be that the cables are not an issue. Also the length is small(1,25m and 0,75m).

I just ordered a pair of premium certified cables from Amazon but i'm quite sure that this shouldn't change anything. I will try that out tomorrow and reply if it worked or not.

Thanks for your input.

19. Random_Vibration

Random_Vibration Active Member

If I had a dollar for every time I heard that. Many 'brands' have sold cables that should work but didn’t. Many cables do work, some don't. Maybe some cables from some lots do work. It could be just one cable in the chain acting up. Had this conversation with people before and regardless of thier protests, some of them were still found to have cable issues.

If the cables don't have a HDMI Licensing Administrator Inc. "Premium Certified" sticker, they were not submitted for testing by an independent source and found to pass the certification process.

They could pass the test but were never submitted for certification. They may not. Why speculate the "what ifs" when you can get what should be a know good configuration from the start. Troubleshooting connections is easier when we start with known good configurations. Not saying it's the cable. Just saying I would be slow to dismiss a cable unless I'm using what the HDMI specification creators says I should be using first. Even with "Premium Certified" cable, it may be possible to get a defective cable here or there. I just couldn't assume it wasn't the cables with the cables you selected to use.

Again, the choice is always yours.

20. onek24

onek24 New Member

Hello,

i ordered and tried severel Premium Certified HDMI cables and yet the HDR error still occurs.

Multiple emails to Zidoo resulted in no single Answer. There is literally no customer support at all.

Since we cleared that there is no error with the cables(I have approximately 10 different HDMI cables lying around here), what else can it be?

I will try to request a refund from the shop i bought the Zidoo. Is the Nvidia Shield a recommendation?

Sincerely,
    onek24