Feature requests for HT4.0

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Temearoo, Oct 24, 2021.

1. Netmask

Netmask Well-Known Member

Ha ha I must have been a Puritan in a previous life, I go out of my way to avoid ads. Just go to the main movie and sometimes after the opening credits. . I find myself thinking a bit like the late Prince Philip “get on with it!”. As long as the proposal is an option, go for it.

2. The Dreamer

The Dreamer New Member

Absolutely! The vast majority of the time, particularly if I’m by myself, or just family, I wouldn’t want ads getting in the way. But at least once a week, we have friends and neighbours round for a movie night - it would be great for these events, particularly if there is someone new to the movie nights, to play some ads beforehand.

3. Visconti12

Visconti12 Active Member

IMO no ads at all. It's a waste of time but you can leave it as an option!!

Six66Mike likes this.
  4. TifKag

TifKag Active Member

I really don't understand why you would want ads before starting a movie.
    The whole world hates to see the ads on Youtube.
    You don't want to see ads when you are going to watch a movie yourself.

But when friends and neighbours come over you would like to show ads before a movie.

1) Are you paid by the firms you play ads from?
    2) Do the friends and neighbours have to pay an entrance fee to ?

There has to be some kind of financial gain by this.

This is one of the weirdest requests i have seen.

The world has gone completely MAD !

Please Zidoo, don't consider adding such a ridiculous setting at all, but concentrate on squashing bugs first.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2022
    Six66Mike and Netmask like this.
  5. DELUCAS

DELUCAS Well-Known Member

No to ads of course first most .

but think the option for say a Pearl & Dean vid before a Movie starts will do no harm if added provided theres a tck box to enable one or not is fine .

But no to ads just look at the Nvidia Shield ………

6. Netmask

Netmask Well-Known Member

Who are Pearl & Deane anyway? When we go to the cinema, these days of course you have to select and pre-book your seats we always arrange to take our seat during the last commercial. Half the audience in Sydney at least wait till the last minute to sit. So it's not an option I would ever use. I really don't like what the cinema people call "presentation". Bah and humbug! Am I showing my age! Just get on with it and show the movie...

TifKag likes this.
  7. DELUCAS

DELUCAS Well-Known Member

Pear & Dean is a company UK i think that used to play There numerous trailers at the very beginning of a movie way back then …….. ( Got you excited )
    A very short intro Trailer above
    Its a nostalgic thing of your youth way back and a reminder of an epic classic move coming .

For family viewing and before a movie starts brings a grin on your face

but wont suit all its a UK thing id say .
    But other countries may have something simular ?

A intro trailer added could be a THX trailer add or Dolby Audio trailer before your Movie starts etc ………..

8. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

I think everyone's missing the point here - this is ostensibly about presenting a Pre-Roll.

But you start a movie night (here in the UK at least) with a Pre-Roll of Pearl & Dean, the Rank Advertising logo and some vintage Kia-Ora, Westlers Hotdogs, Butterkist Popcorn, Turkish Delight, Gordon's Gin, Taj Mahal Tandoori adverts and you're going to elicit a big grin from guests of a certain age.

The Dreamer likes this.
  9. Markswift2003

Here's one I created a few years ago for a local home cinema but as I say, you have to be of a certain age to appreciate it :)

The Dreamer likes this.
  10. The Dreamer

The Dreamer New Member

As @Markswift2003 has said, you're all missing the point.

This is indeed about pre-roll. It could be anything - but 'back in the day' in the UK, we'd sit through a bunch of adverts from Pearl & Dean (the advertising company), which started with their own introduction (asteroid) and then went on to a bunch of 2nd rate local adverts, with maybe a couple of professionally produced ads too. If we were lucky, we might get a THX, or DTS short thrown in too before the feature presentation.

This 'option' to run a spot of pre-roll should be just that, an option. Purely for those that want to recreate the nostalgia that going to the flicks holds for many of us. Don't forget, going to the movies was a big-deal in the 70's - it was the only place you could see a movie in colour for example - most of us only had black and white TV's, with just 2, or maybe 3, channels. It was a different time, and a very different world to our 'instant everything' of today.

I might even agree with @TifKag, that everyone hates the ads on YouTube - but then they don't make them like they used to! ;)

11. TifKag

TifKag Active Member

Six66Mike and vddan like this.
  12. The Dreamer

The Dreamer New Member

You're absolutely right of course. Bug fixing should take priority.

I'd just like, at some point, a similar functionality to what I already have in Plex.

Just to be clear, these pre-rolls would be held locally, just like our movies; we're not talking about linking to YouTube and the like, so the buffering etc. shouldn't be an issue.

13. TifKag

TifKag Active Member

That buffering was not meant for the Pre-Rolls, but for the online trailers who worked fine up to the point they added Youtube as a source for trailers.

The backdrop problem, has got a hotfix within days.
    The Trailers obviously don't matter.:(

Last edited: Feb 21, 2022
  14. Markswift2003

THX and Dolby trailers are always good to run - especially the old ones.

The other thing to take into account here is that a feature like this is only really applicable to those with dedicated cinemas and a big screen - it's nice to walk into the room with the lights low and this kind of thing already playing.. easy enough to program with a decent home automation setup (I use Crestron). Could even ask one of the kids to stand there and sell cigarettes and ice cream...

However I can't imagine wanting to do this sitting in the living room in front of the TV.

The Dreamer likes this.
  15. Markswift2003

While we're on the wayback machine, here's another one I made to be left running:

The Dreamer likes this.
  16. TifKag

TifKag Active Member

I guess i don't understand british humor.:)
    To me it belongs in the same category as the "Bored Mode"

17. Markswift2003

I can imagine it takes some getting used to ;) but it's more about creating an event - as @The Dreamer says, you can put in what you want - even just some music lifts a room as you enter.

When I fire up the cinema, the lights go through about 3 scenes to allow you to get in and sit down, the projector comes on, the lights dim to off and although I generally keep the blinds closed, if they're open, they close too - I can even have the chairs automatically recline - it's all about atmosphere and that process is programmed over a set time - Same sort of thing with a pre-roll - it all adds to the event.

The Dreamer likes this.
  18. Visconti12

Visconti12 Active Member

All these ads are curious (for me to remember old times), pieces of art but I don't think most of the people got the time to spend in a pre-roll.

19. Markswift2003

Depends how you approach your viewing I guess - I generally either watch TV on my own in my den (75" Samsung) or in the living room with my wife and (55" Sony) and that's just a case of switch the telly on, sit down and watch.

But when I watch a movie in the cinema, it's kind of special - it usually involves a fine wine and much chocolate, so anything that adds enjoyment to that event is good.

The Dreamer and Visconti12 like this.
  20. AngryVirginian

AngryVirginian Active Member

My dream feature to replace the bored mode is to

1. HT plays random local trailer of a movie in the collection.
    2. The chapter up remote-control button stops playback of the current trailer and starts the next random trailer.
    3. The remote-control OK button stops the trailer carousel and starts playing the movie (or add an on-screen OK button to do the same thing).

vddan likes this.