Eversolo Z6/Z8 Native DSD Support ? (Solved)

Discussion in 'Eversolo DAC-Z6 / DAC-Z8' started by Glerup71, Jun 9, 2023.

1. Glerup71

Glerup71 Active Member

The Xmos driver from Eversolo, dont support native DSD playing only DSD over PCM, is that a fault or do i need another driver ?

2. Kenno

Kenno New Member

I have an EverSolo DMP-A6 connected to a Pioneer VSX-534D-B AV receiver via HDMI and SACD-ISO and DSD work natively :)

3. ammar11

ammar11 Well-Known Member

Mine isn’t here yet but many has reported that it does DSD natively.

4. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Yes, DSD works natively as long as the EDID allows.

5. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

If you connect the DMP-A6 to the Pioneer via HDMI, then you are not using the DMP-A6's DAC...

6. ammar11

ammar11 Well-Known Member

Yes, many actually bought the A6 for the streamer, most already have high-end DAC so they want to utilise that, does it sound better or not that’s a different story.

And HDMI is the only way to get multi-channel audio.

7. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Native DSD is not a problem with this streamer. Confirmed working via both HDMI and DAC output.

gymnos likes this.
  8. Glerup71

Glerup71 Active Member

I have to be more precise, i have a Eversolo Z8 dac, and when i want to set it up in roon, i dont get the option to have native DSD playback, only "DSD over PCM" up to DSD256, and thats a driver problem i think

9. Glerup71

Glerup71 Active Member

Problem solved, i modified a Thesycon 3.34 (XMOS) driver, so now it have native support up to DSD512, as the dac support :)

10. Nice Monkey

With ROON?
    You seem to be talking about using Windows => External USB Output => DMP-A6? Where is ROON in that chain?

11. Glerup71

Glerup71 Active Member

No sorry me, its with a Eversolo Z8 Dac, and with Roon on a Intel NUC :)

12. Nice Monkey

Would have been much easier if that line would have been in the title. :p
    The good news problem solved. Please change the Title with Solved too.

13. atomic garden

atomic garden Member

Hello, can you please describe how you modded the driver?

I asked Zidoo support for an updated driver because on the download page we only have the version 4.13 (from 2017!). They said they won't provide a new driver.

I'm suspecting that Zidoo doesn't even have a licensed commercial XMOS driver, and that would be unacceptable. Please Zidoo, tell me I'm wrong. @mirror

The thing with XMOS driver is: there were three types (currently the free version is not available anymore):

- Evaluation/Prototype
    - Free/limited stereo
    - Vendor Licensed

- Evaluation/Prototype driver is the full driver, but it gives beep tones every 5 minutes or fully works for only 60 days. It supports everything: Native DSD, multiple clocks, multichannel, ajustable latency.
    This evaluation driver is meant for DAC manufacturers to test and decide if they will buy a licensed driver. Driver made by Thesycon.

- Free/limited stereo is a limited driver. Only DoP (no native DSD), single clock, fixed latency, no multichannel (only stereo).
    This driver was made available by XMOS for final users free of charge, but with limited funcionalities. Currently XMOS doesn't make it anymore. Driver made by XMOS.

- Vendor Licensed is the full driver that every DAC manufacturer buys from Thesycon, and distribute to its customers.
    Full funcionality and no beeps. Native DSD, multiple clocks, multichannel, ajustable latency, etc.
    Every company that makes DACs that uses XMOS chip (Topping, SMSL, Aune, Sabaj, Loxjie etc) pays a fee to Thesycon to have the full driver.

With every new version of the driver, the company needs to pay a new fee to Thesycon. It's a costly maintenance, but serious companies do it in respect to its customers. Latest version from Thesycon is 5.58.
    Topping has version 5.57. SMSL, Loxjie, Aune, Sabaj have version 5.58. That's what the vendors do, buy updated drivers for its DACs.

So please Zidoo, tell me I'm completely wrong and took mistaken conclusions. Because it's a little unreal that customers have to use a hacked driver to get full USB functionality, like Native DSD and ajustable ASIO latency.

Attached Files:

gymnos and Corrigap like this.
  14. atomic garden

atomic garden Member

It seems that I cannot post links, so I'm breaking the URLs.

The image showing functionalities of the 3 types of driver (Free driver is not available anymore from XMOS) is from :

www (dot) xmos (dot) ai
    /download/USB-Audio-2.0-Driver-for-Windows---Overview(3.34.0).pdf

The latest XMOS driver version is 5.58. Zidoo offers the version 4.13 (from 2017). This is the change history:

www (dot) thesycon (dot) de
    /usbaudio/TUSBAudio_history.txt

Attached Files:

15. Glerup71

Glerup71 Active Member

Hi Atomic Garden

You have just written, what i wont to say, it is so sad that Zidoo makes a great DAC with native DSD512 support, but the driver they have can not do that !!!

Zidoo you have to do something,

16. Corrigap

Corrigap New Member

This might be a dumb question, but here goes anyway ...

Instead of modding the 4.13 driver supplied by EverSol, would it be possible instead to use a newer driver supplied by another manufacturer, for example the 5.58 version supplied by Aune or the 5.57 supplied by Topping?

17. atomic garden

atomic garden Member

I already tried the hell out of it, without success. In theory we can do that (and I did), but when we modify the driver, it looses it's digital signature.

And Windows won't accept unsigned drivers. We can run Windows in Test mode to use unsigned drivers, but only for user-level drivers. Unsigned kernel-level drivers won't work, even using Windows Test mode.

That's why I'm really curious to know how @Glerup71 did it.

Meanwhile, no answer from Zidoo. @mirror

Can I assume I'm right to say that the company doesn't have a licensed driver for the product?

18. Glerup71

Glerup71 Active Member

Hi again

I am using an old Thesycon driver (3.38), you have to change the VID/PID to 20B1/30FD in 2 files, and of chorse windows have to be in test mode

i have tried other version of the driver, with no succes, but its better than the driver Zidoo have, thats have no native DSD support

Zidoo please give us the right driver, so we can use this really nice DAC 100 %

gymnos and atomic garden like this.
  19. atomic garden

atomic garden Member

Zidoo, we need a licensed and modern XMOS driver for the DAC. It's unreal that we even need to ask for it.

Glerup71 and Corrigap like this.
  20. Glerup71

Glerup71 Active Member

:(:(:(

atomic garden likes this.