Eversolo Z6/Z8 Native DSD Support ? (Solved)

Discussion in 'Eversolo DAC-Z6 / DAC-Z8' started by Glerup71, Jun 9, 2023.

1. atomic garden

atomic garden Member

I will try to get attention from the folks on the DMP-A6 streamer forum, because it's the same driver

2. atomic garden

atomic garden Member

3. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

Do we?!?
    What does the XMOS driver deliver / enable / allow for?

4. atomic garden

atomic garden Member

A proper XMOS driver made by Thesycon will allow the use of all available functionalities, like Native DSD and adjustable latency. Complete list on the attached image.

And also the many features and optimizations offered by a recent version of the driver. You can viewe the changelog of new versions since 4.13 until the most recent 5.58 here: www.thesycon.de/usbaudio/TUSBAudio_history.txt

Attached Files:

5. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

Looks like this driver is useful for INPUT devices too, aka ADCs, hence latency... Also there are a lot of mentions to ASIO, which is the low-latency driver NEEDED for professional audio recording under Windows, unless you want to cope with the 300ms latency the OS won't otherwise allow you to get rid of...
    Anyway, I'd like to know why I can play native DSD512 with my Z8, without the need of any driver. Using a Raspberry Pi as a streamer / player, of course running on Linux. Mac users are on par with Linux on this matter, but I'd like to hear if somebody out there uses a Z8 with a Mac, and if they can play native DSD too (they should, of course).

Isn't it, perhaps, that Windows does not fully support the USB Audio Specifications 2.0, and therefore needs a driver to do it?

atomic garden likes this.
  6. atomic garden

atomic garden Member

Yes, that's it. Native DSD512 on Windows requires ASIO driver. And more than that, the ability do change the ASIO driver latency to get to the lowest value. It makes a lot of difference when using a good player, like HQPlayer or JPlay (I use them both combined).

I know that most users don't have the needs I have, but it's not about what I need. It's about: "every XMOS DAC maker on the market provides a windows driver with full ASIO support". So why can't Zidoo offer the same?

Comparing current XMOS DACs on the market, Zidoo has:

- Best hardware (on pair with others)
    - Best design (top 1)
    - Best user interface (top 1)
    - Best sound (on pair with others)
    - No functional windows driver

That's really frustrating. That's the only reason why I still didn't sell my Loxjie D40 DAC.

Is it right that a customer needs to use a hacked driver to get it fully functional?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2023
    gymnos likes this.
  7. Glerup71

Glerup71 Active Member

And why is Zidoo just dead quietly...!!!

8. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

9. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

A bit of an over reaction. Point is that not everyone uses a PC (Windows/Mac) to play through their external DAC, I'd suggest very few do.

Nutul likes this.
  10. Arcticpollen

Arcticpollen Active Member

Some do though - it's also a useful way of applying parametric EQ before the stream hits the DAC.

atomic garden and rozel like this.
  11. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

What's the point of ruining the bit-perfect stream? Apply your audio artifacts (whether for fun, or for room correction purposes) in the analog domain.

12. Arcticpollen

Arcticpollen Active Member

All well and good if you can do it in the analogue domain. Those without room correction features at that stage may prefer to do it upstream. I run EQ via Roon for my headphones so that's done ahead of the DMP DAC.

I don't do this via Windows but I know people who do. Mainly for stereo listening.

13. atomic garden

atomic garden Member

That's not a good argument. Not everyone uses a PC. But for those who use, it should have a proper support.

Otherwise, they should include on all advertisements and product description something like "3rd generation XMOS XU316, but without a licensed driver (no Native DSD, no latency settings, etc)".

I repeat: every other decent DAC manufacturer (XMOS based) offer their customers a licensed and modern Thesycon driver.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2023
    Glerup71 likes this.
  14. atomic garden

atomic garden Member

Yeah, that's frustrating. I'm still hoping they are working on the background to solve this.

Glerup71 likes this.
  15. Glerup71

Glerup71 Active Member

Is it legal for my, too share my modded driver ?

atomic garden and Corrigap like this.
  16. atomic garden

atomic garden Member

I'm not sure about it.

But hey Zidoo, this is not a conversation that we should need to have among customers. @mirror @Markswift2003 any news on the driver?

17. Glerup71

Glerup71 Active Member

...and thats what its all about, Zidoo you take the best what XMOS have of USB receiver chip (XU316), so you can go as high as native DSD512

But you don't want do give the customers the right driver, so now you can only go to DoP 256, and the right driver is Thesycon ver. 5.58

And yes i am a Windows user, and use both Roon and Audirvana, and i need that native DSD support !

18. atomic garden

atomic garden Member

19. g4sho

g4sho Member

I found this driver and was able to install and play dsd thru J River Media Center, with no pcm conversion, raw .dsf. here is the url. "https colon // www dot denafrips dot com /download-thesycon" would not let me just post the url so i broke it down

Last edited: Jul 29, 2023
  20. atomic garden

atomic garden Member

This driver is from Denafrips, another DAC manufacturer. Installing this driver to use Z6/Z8 won't make a difference.