Do You Prefer HT4 or Media Centre - Poll

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by rozel, Apr 17, 2023.

?

HT4 or Media Centre / Player - Which Do you Prefer?

Poll closed Apr 21, 2023.
  1. I prefer HT4

53 vote(s)
    81.5%
  2. I prefer Media Centre

12 vote(s)
    18.5%
  1. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

Yes there are other advantages beyond movie database with pictures like the player functionality, refresh rates, scaling, VS10 and other stuff not available on the TV but without media database like Kodi or HT it would be pointless.
    My opinion of course, not to get into argument ;)

rozel likes this.
  2. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

No, no, I fully understand. I've got to admit that with my new TV, I've never tried to see if it would playback my films by itself. And I totally appreciate your point of view. It's my relative lack of full understanding that prompted this poll together with the reasons if you selected HT4.

Gonna try to link my Yotamaster 5-disk RAID array setup to my TV and place some UHD stuff on it to see how the TV reacts - not today though, later. You've got me thinking, thanks

3. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

TVs are very limited in terms of networking. It may not allow for SAMBA client connection. Most of the TVs need DLNA server on the network. You could put couple of movies on the USB stick and see what you get. BD files, ISO, BD menus are out. DV mp4 may work. You probably run into other limitations even Cinavia may kick in. Yeah, we need Zidoo after all :)

rozel likes this.
  4. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Yes Cinavia - a blast from the past! But wasn't going to Network the disk array, was going to merely connect to TV as an external drive but given what you say, maybe not now and so we agree - we need the Zidoo lol!

Interesting stuff, which would not have come out without my Poll with reasons for voting - thanks. I wonder what else will come out?

5. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

Most TVs wont be able to play most of the stuff that a Zidoo can (with aplomb I might add). Its not worth tinkering with it, that's why we have devices like Zidoo... if TV could play em without getting stuck every minute, we'd be golden.

Bill-Z9X and rozel like this.
  6. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Must admit I'm quite surprised at the vote for Media Centre - I honestly didn't expect that many, maybe 5% tops.

Interesting.

Bill-Z9X and rozel like this.
  7. Oldpainless

Oldpainless Active Member

@rozel

Ok, you asked for some underlining rational for peoples votes, so here's mine (and, no, nothing that follows is about being a film wiki):

1) I have over 1,500 films alone (let alone TV episodes that run into the many, many thousands). I guess if you have a few (hundred), it might be easy, so on a saturday night, for instance, to say I'll switch on the Zidoo and watch x. In which case, I'd buy a top of the range UltraHD Bluray Player and pick the movie off the shelf that now has taken over my front room/home cinema. The ability to scroll through on the sofa and say, oh, not seen that one, or, we have a new version of that one, or, we've not seen that one for a while (with a visual jog of the mind because of the film poster etc), shall we watch that? (that's right, convenience and the wife acceptance factor).

2) Sets - not every film in a series is as simple as film title A, film title B. So being able to see films in the same series/set grouped is, in my view, a must.

3) Feel in the mood for a, as an example, a Sunday afternoon Western, but can't remember all the Western's you have? No problem, select genre and off of you.

4) Actor/Director/Producer cross reference.....one click and you have a view of something that might catch your eye on what to watch next.

5) Me, I feel like watching X, wife, but dear the wife proclaims, it has a watched status/tick, so we've seen it.

I could go on, but you get my point - convenience.

rozel likes this.
  8. Oldpainless

I'd be interested in a poll re MC vs HT4 vs ZDMC vs vs vs...and yes, MC does seem rather high doesn't it.........

Last edited: Apr 18, 2023
  9. darky_zidoo

darky_zidoo Active Member

I use HT4. I use TMM to get all the posters and nfo file. HT4 reads them perfectly.

10. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

Agree. I can understand using File Explorer on PC for quick access, testing and file maintenance but in front of the TV or Pj you got to have full blown media database like HT or Kodi.

11. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

But why? - HT seems such a long-winded phaff to set up and keep on top of, doesn't it?

12. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

Mine is only updated for when adding new content. Otherwise its pretty set and forget, unless you like to tinker with movie posters all the time.

Bill-Z9X likes this.
  13. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

It is if you have large collection and you do first time scan. You probably need few hours to clean it up. After that it's a pleasure to thinker with posters, artwork and trailers. I wish we had ability to show full screen unobstructed backdrop artwork like Kodi. Some skins allow to slide overlay with movie info to show backdrop. I'm missing it in HT.

14. Oldpainless

Can't wait for the vote - HT4 vs ZDMC...trailers and stuff just works.....ops...did I say too much :p

15. Markswift2003

I've always had trailers working perfectly in HT here ;)

16. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

I have both. If I had to choose what I like more, I would say HT for the looks. If I had to use only one probably ZDMC for practicality.

My premium collection is in HT. Everything goes to ZDMC.

17. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

But I would never settle for MC as preferred interface :D

18. Markswift2003

I use HT for my 4K content which is what I watch in the cinema and Jellyfin for 2K which is more casual viewing.

I dislike Kodi very much - it's just all too all over the place - although I do appreciate that a lot of people like it.

19. Markswift2003

Yes, exactly, which is why I'm surprised at this poll so far.. But hell, everyone's different, with different needs, so it's all good.

20. Oldpainless

You mean online trailers?

[​IMG]