1.2.40_BETA/1.2.70_BETA for DMP-A6/DMP-A8 release

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A8' started by mirror, Dec 29, 2023.

1. I’m curious as to this statement on the googledocs page

“*The v1.2.40_Beta & v1.2.70_Beta firmware versions are beta versions and won't be pushed.

Why is there a user-toggled option to download beta updates within the Apps update settings if they aren’t going to be pushed online?

upload_2024-1-4_19-47-41.png

2. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

It's probably poorly written, but basically means that they won't be pushed unless you enabled "Receive the beta version"

3. This is why I asked. I enabled the option but the beta is not found/downloaded. So to me, it seems the host server has it disabled from downloading OTA as implied by the note I quoted”. On the instructions page it states this beta version can only be downloaded/installed via USB even though “it is quite stable and recommended upgrading.” OTA would definitely be convenient. ‍♂️

Anøtek likes this.
  4. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

Sounds indeed weird, as it looks like you need to at least install a beta version manually, in order to have the further ones pushed to your device (if enabled the option)...
    Anyway, if you haven't already, I believe the last beta is worth installing.

5. freddiepoon

freddiepoon New Member

Hello Mirror,

May I ask if activating volume pass through mode in DMP-A8 is equivalent to DSD direct mode in other brands like Gustard?

6. bogdanozaurus

bogdanozaurus Member

It is not equivalent, they are completely different things, volume pass trough means that the volume control is deactivated and it goes to the maximum value. It is the best option for connecting to an integrated amplifier and can cause big problems if it is set this way and connected to a power amplifier. DSD Direct refers to the method of decoding DSD files by DAC.

7. freddiepoon

freddiepoon New Member

Thanks for the explanation. As DMP-A8 is using analong pre-amp after D/A conversion by AKM chip, it could in theory activate DSD direct mode in AKM chip to bypass delta-sigma modulation part of the D/A conversion. Does this make sense?

8. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

It does make sense; and I think it already does use the AKM DSD-direct mode. I remember having seen somewhere the diagram of the signal path, and it was suggesting it is.

9. bogdanozaurus

bogdanozaurus Member

I would rather bet not. Do not forget the operating system, it must also support DSD Direct and no matter how customized it is, it remains Android.

10. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

To whom, and what question are you replying?
    the player in the A6/A8 bypasses the Android audio chain, so there is no problem on this aspect. The operating system has nothing to do with the file format, unless it has to stream it as-is somewhere else, via USB for instance (I think of Windows and his fellow drivers here, for some reason...).
    Some DACs though can really play DSD nativaly (AKMs) while others convert internally to PCM before rendering (ESSs), although both receive a DSD native stream as input.

11. freddiepoon

freddiepoon New Member

AKM4499 signal path for reference

Screenshot 2024-01-10 130919.png

Nutul likes this.
  12. bogdanozaurus

bogdanozaurus Member

@Nutul This is just my opinion, I did not say that it is definitely so, you have a different opinion, probably the Mirror should clarify for us. To be more clear, I'm not sure if the DMP-A8 uses DSD direct or DOP, but the volume pass through activation function will not automatically lead to DSD direct, its purpose is different.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2024
    Nutul likes this.
  13. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

I'm ok with either, at first sight I was keen to say it does; I'd like to understand if it does or not, and how we can evince that from the signal path diagram.

14. Lige

Lige New Member

Greetings

Is there any specific thread for troubleshooting/wishlist ?

15. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

Feature requests: http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?threads/dmp-a8-feature-requests.96919/

For reporting bugs, first look into the threads if your issue is already known and reported and/or fixed, otherwise open a new thread describing your issue as detailed as possible.

Lige likes this.