DMP-A8: Feature Requests

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A8' started by ammar11, Nov 1, 2023.

1. ammar11

ammar11 Well-Known Member

It’s not out yet, why bother?

Precisely why we should start now, we can have a chance to have the first batch shipped with the most complete firmware as it can be. Even hardware if there’s enough time.

Bugs? That has to be discovered. Features? We have the specs to begin with, so fire away.

1. Multi-channel audio support (existing HDMI ARC port)
    2. Headphone amp (hardware)
    3. Subwoofer outs (hardware)
    4. Room correction i.e. Dirac Live
    5. Bluetooth out/transmitter
    6. Favorite services/app on home screen
    7. Spatial audio i.e. Dolby Atmos (low priority)

*Roon Ready - understandably will have to wait for certification which I doubt will be an issue.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2023
    piakob and Miki222 like this.
  2. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

IMO if it was just a streamer (although with all the beautiful features already in the wishlist) with no DAC it would be better. And cheaper, of course; then you would just need to add the favorite DAC (as I see too many people buying the A6 ME, just to use an external DAC...?!?!?)

3. ammar11

Agreed, and considering that they want to put this into high end stereo setups (they removed multi-channel audio), removing the DAC section does make sense. I don’t get a focused direction of what they want to do here.

Bonzo likes this.
  4. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Was suggested time ago by me as the DMP-A6 Bronce Edition. Being simply stripped with no DAC at all.

Peter Wallop, ammar11 and fofocho like this.
  5. wcseow

wcseow Member

MCH audio can complement high end stereo setups nicely.

Many has HT and Stereo setup, A6 is attractive as it offer both, I personally view it as a an Oppo with a screen, though in my case I dump out a Sony X700 with A6 came in.

ammar11 likes this.
  6. Bonzo

Bonzo Active Member

I don't either, hence why I asked in the other thread. I'm just not sure what the target audience is here. I'd like someone to explain it to me.

7. Milky

Milky Active Member

Are you doing a homework assignment on this for marketing class or something? Work for a competitor?

8. ammar11

You must be new, Zidoo has always been open to feedback and criticism and actually act on it. They’re open to any chance of improving their products, why do you take it negatively?

Zidoo has come out as one of the best media players in the market but they’re relatively new in dedicated hifi stereo, so any advise in all departments including marketing — streamlining product line ups and how to place a product in seasoned hobbyist setup, can be very useful.

JC DeSch likes this.
  9. Milky

Milky Active Member

Oh so he is the marketing guy? It was just very odd question to be asking if you're just a customer, wasn't trying to be negative.

10. ammar11

Feedback should be from a customer. Useful or not, it’s up to Zidoo decide.

Why are you troubled by this, when Zidoo is as usual just cool about it?

11. Bonzo

Bonzo Active Member

You are giving me way too much credit. I'm just asking a simple question. I'm sorry if you find the question odd. Nope, I'm just an enthusiast trying to learn stuff.

12. Milky

Milky Active Member

Not troubled, his curiosity sparked mine. Is he not going to buy something because he doesn't know the target audience? Is he not going to buy the item because because he's not in the targeted audience? Will the target audience cause him to enjoy the product less? Pre bud light these questions might have been easy to answer. Now days you just don't know.

13. Milky

Milky Active Member

I would like to see
    1. an SFP port so I can run fiber straight to the streamer and eliminate ethernet noise.

2. It would also be cool to have clock inputs so that the clocks in the streamer can be synced with the clocks in my dac to decrease jitter.

3. All linear power supply, no smps

4. Dual mono configuration for the dac

5. The ability to easily add Separate transformers for the left channel , right channel , and one to power the unit maybe split out the digital and analog as well. (low priority)

6. Make the dac chips modular so they can be upgraded. (see Xduoo XD05 Pro)

7. More shielding of power supply and between digital and analog

8. More 12v triggers

9. Option to totally disable Bluetooth and wifi

... I might be the target audience. I'd like to purchase this and then upgrade to an external dac at a later date when I have the time to build a good one. Like that it has iis port.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2023
  14. Bonzo

Bonzo Active Member

And there you go. As simple as that. Looking at your list I'd guess you are much more knowledgeable about the inner working details of these devices. The components and how they interact together etc. So all the upgraded internals of the A8 actually mean something to you. For me, until I could actually hear it, I'd have to take other people's word that those "better" components actually warrant the extra cost.

Also looking at your list, you are way more advanced into this stuff than me. I'm not nearly as technical that's for certain. You just talking about building your own DAC boggles my mind. Really, I'd have zero idea how to go about something like that.

So, part of the target audience is people like you. Good to know. I've learned something today.

I'm what I might call an amateur audiophile. I like the results looking from the outside in. If I were ever to be part of a team to build such things, I would be involved on the ergonomic end. "How" it works on a daily basis for the end user mostly. If you and I were on the team together, I think you may be more on the "making it work great" side of things. The physical components etc. I don't know anything about that stuff. What I would tend to get involved with would be the user interface operational side. But enough on that. I'm sure no one cares. I'm just trying to help you understand that my original question wasn't some deep dark scheme to somehow undermine Eversolo.

15. Milky

Milky Active Member

Sorry, I have aspergers. I'm not good a communicating in person and it comes off even worse online. I wasn't trying to be mean, my mind just works weird.

Anyways, I am making diy mono block amplifier from unpopulated pcb boards right now. Plan on doing a dac in the future.

All the diy streamers I've found are raspberry pi based and need roon, which I rather not pay for. Plus you need to know a bit of programming.

The A8 seems to be a very well built streamer/preamp at a very good price. I would be hard pressed to make to diy something like that for much cheaper. Plus it looks easily upgradeable for the big stuff. Can easily upgrade those clocks and the power supply(s). I guess I could diy clock inputs as well, I'd have to look into that.

I guess the big addition for me would be a SFP port input. The rest of my requests could easily be done by adding a good external dac or doing rather easy mods.

SFP port would be a game changer at this price point. The only problem is that most don't know or don't believe in the the advantages of it, but if you blind a/b the improvements are there. Fiber definitely improves the sound in my system, but then there's the weak link where it has to convert back to ethernet and picks up noise again right before entering the streamer.

So yeah, SFP please

16. Steve.EX

Steve.EX New Member

Balanced output at a fixed 4 volts.

17. kc001

kc001 Active Member

A coffee maker :p

Eki Shaw, Peter Wallop and Bonzo like this.
  18. Bonzo

Bonzo Active Member

You must be familiar with the Emotiva toaster? :)

19. Spizz

Spizz Member

No MultiChannel Native DSD via HDMI which was a unique differentiator is missing which is important to me so this is an easy pass for me. (Especially because it is the only one to work with Roon natively without converting to PCM)

20. ammar11

A mock-up of the TEXT ONLY theme on the A8 (will also be available for A6 on the next firmware).

upload_2023-11-6_9-24-6.jpeg