DMP-A8: Feature Requests

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A8' started by ammar11, Nov 1, 2023.

1. Bergholdt

Bergholdt Well-Known Member

DSD is not supported with DSP. It is probably a limitation of the AKM AK4191EQ chip or other hardware.

DSD is obviously a much bigger file and a lot more data that needs to be analized and ‘changed’ in the DSP…

2. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

It's more likely the structure of the DSD files, which hold only "deltas" and therefore cannot be modified (as required to apply DSP) without being first converted to their PCM representation.
    The same is true for volume control when routing digital inputs, if the source is DSD, it generally cannot be applied.

3. Bergholdt

Not sure what deltas are but I’ll put that on my ‘to read up on’ list as well :)

I did some reading up on the DACs on the AKM site.

The DACs in the A8 are actually capable of DSD1024 and 64bit PCM even though the A8 is sold (like the A6) with 32bit PCM and DSD512 as maximum.

I’ll have to do a lot more reading before I can understand all of this in detail…

Nutul likes this.
  4. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

Of course, if volume control and DSP are done at DAC level, everything can be possible. Especially with AKM DACs, as they can render DSD natively.

5. Ebag4

Ebag4 New Member

Hello, first post on this forum. I am currently enjoying the DMP-A8 that I have had for a few days now.

If this is covered elsewhere I could not find it. I love the internal DAC of the A8 however I would like to play with other DACs and use the A8 as a streamer and preamp, this would allow the Eversolo app to play music and control volume while using an outboard DAC . I realize this would not be an issue with PCM files (would only need to output via USB and let the DAC connect directly to amp) however I have a lot of music on DSD, that is why a volume control would be needed after the DAC as would be the case if the outboard DAC were plugged into the analog input while receiving it digital signal from the USB .

Looking at the menu it does not appear this configuration is possible currently.

Hope this is clear.

Thanks,
    Ed

6. Bergholdt

There are many posts about using external DACs.

Here is the ‘user guide’ from Eversolo (A6 but probably same way to do it).

https://www.eversolo.com/Support/support_guide/guide_target/wfOLDb0DoL[ld]eq7k9e[ld]3ulg==.html

7. EverA8

EverA8 New Member

In between I have had the time to play a little bit with my new A8.
    As far as I have seen everything is working very well.
    I have one remark to the APP software and features:

I don’t like the couloured background in the „Current Track“ screen.
    It can be pink, golden, light blue or what ever. See example.
    Bildschirmfoto ss gold.jpg

In my opinion often it looks very cheap and it is more difficult to read the text information on this screen.
    I would like to suggest two settings for this screen:

-Couloured (the current one)

-Black (as additional setting)

Maybe it is possible in the current software but I haven’t found it so far.

If you have a look to the menu screen you can see how it looks with an black background.
    Bildschirmfoto ss schwarz.jpg

I really would prefer a black background for the „Current Track“ screen.

Pottering and Franc like this.
  8. ammar11

ammar11 Well-Known Member

Go to the theme setting there are a few stuffs to play around in there.

EverA8 likes this.
  9. EverA8

EverA8 New Member

Hi ammar11

Thank you for your quick answer.

Unfortunately I have just the Germen screen of the settings but I assume the english screen hast he same order of the menu items.
    K640_IMG_0098.JPG

With the item „Hintergrundbild der Wiedergabe anzeigen“ it is possible to switch the background coulour on and off.

This works fine with the A8 unit display but not with the screen of my iPhone14 or iPAD.
    K640_IMG_0096.JPG

K640_Image-1.JPG

I assume it’s an issue with the iOS app (Vers. V.1.0.85)?

I can’t check it with the Android app since I have only Apple devices.

10. Bergholdt

The settings on the A8/A6 is just for the screen of the A8/A6.

What we need is a ‘Dark theme’ for IOS.

I would like that too.

EverA8 likes this.
  11. Barry1969

Barry1969 New Member

Enjoying my dmp a-8 for the last few weeks. Sounds very good, a little better than my a-6 master edition.
    The 12v trigger is nice, DSP also nice, although I would need a room measurement to really benefit from this.

my wish list is as follows:
    1. Balance control, preferably without turning on DSP functions.
    2. HDMI tv screen modus, where your tv is showing the screen of the dmp a-8, would be nice sometimes. Big VU meters or album info.
    3. No clicking sounds through my speakers when changing input. It is not loud, but I hear these clicks very good, feels cheap. I don’t mean the clicks of the volume knob, that is fine, but through my speakers a sharp click like from an on-off switch. Not nice for tweeters, but it is not too loud.

for the rest I am very happy with this A-8. I don’t use a separate dac anymore as I did with the a-6.
    This device coupled with a good power amplifier is a high end minimalistic audio system, highly recommended!

EverA8 likes this.
  12. Bergholdt

HDMI output to TV is something I would have liked too.

Or maybe an app for the Apple TV that shows content from the A8.

I sometimes just Airplay my iPad screen to the TV but that does not look or work optimally.

EverA8 likes this.
  13. Erland Loyd

Erland Loyd New Member

I would like to have Mixcloud and TuneIn implemented, then I could throw out the Sonos Connect from my system...

14. BillyVegas

BillyVegas Member

Suggest to get rid of the IOS dialogue box that asks if you’re SURE YOU WANT TO WAKE ON LAN…..

It’s redundant - of course I want to wake on LAN or I wouldn’t have pressed the “button” .

bk

also , fix the iOS app “DSP ON” button that is always illuminated orange and “ON” whether DSP is on OR off ….

Bergholdt likes this.
  15. Bergholdt

DSP on/off works for me. I think you just need to update your IOS app to v1.0.90

16. Anøtek

Anøtek New Member

I've got my iOS app up to date to 1.0.90 and I'm still having the same display problem, but it doesn't affect my use, it's a detail.

17. Bergholdt

We are talking about this one, right? The one on the ‘front screen’ of the app is not affected…
    IMG_3370.jpeg IMG_3371.jpeg

IMG_3372.jpeg

18. Anøtek

Anøtek New Member

IMG_3562.PNG IMG_3563.PNG

Yes, we're talking about this one, take a look for yourself

19. Bergholdt

Ok. I see you are using Spotify.

Maybe it’s only a problem, if you use the sideloaded apps.

I tried Apple Music but it works for me with Apple Music too.

IMG_3373.jpeg IMG_3374.jpeg IMG_3375.jpeg IMG_3376.jpeg

20. Anøtek

Anøtek New Member

It's the same with Qobuz, but as I said above, it's a detail, I know that on the internal player I don't use DSP, so whether it's grey "OFF" or orange "ON" it doesn't make any difference to my use of the DMP A8 :)

There are other little things I'd like to have that seem me more important ;)