EDID thread (RTD1619DR players)

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Markswift2003, Mar 18, 2021.

1. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

The 640 is an HDR projector so in order to convert DV & HDR to SDR using VS10 you need an SDR EDID to convince the Zidoo that the display is SDR.

(You can use the Realtek engine using "Highest Rec.709" without a custom EDID, but the colour conversion is very poor)

Use the "SDR Rec.709" EDID from the first post and follow the attached guide.

Attached Files:

Ben602 likes this.
  2. Ben602

Ben602 New Member

Thanks for the information. Is there no way to do "Highest SDR Rec 2020"? That is the way I have ran the projector and the results are amazing for me it's better than running with HDR IMO. In addition, is VS10 engine required can you just do something like SDR REC 2020 without VS engine?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2023
  3. Markswift2003

Sorry - I missed that you were using SDR in BT.2020.

Yes of course, you can use "Highest SDR Rec.2020" and an EDID is not required in that case. That uses the Realtek engine to tone map and doesn't touch the colour space. I agree, it would be better than HDR on that PJ.

Can you explain the problem a little more clearly - changing receiver shouldn't change anything (assuming it's an upgrade!).

It's also worth trying the EDID and VS10 SDR though - this has much better tone mapping than the Realtek engine.

4. Ben602

Ben602 New Member

Hello Mark, yes the receiver is an upgrade with 2.1 features. Clearly I don't need 2.1 so I only used enhanced mode for 4k HDR and not the upgraded 8k mode on all of the sources. I have an Apple 4k that is set to 4k SDR that plays flawlessly in that mode. With the Zidoo I always set it up to match frame rate and HDR - SDR and SDR BT2020 for all content. The first few times I did that I had no issues playing back content. I now see that every time I power on the device the settings are changed and when I go to change the HDR - SDR the screen turns rainbow colors and glitches out. I have to then change from auto resolution to 1080p on the next start up and that allows me to tick the HDR-SDR and then switch back to 4k resolution to get it to work. That workaround seemed to be effective but now it's a tossup if it works and as you know I'm not going to try multiple times with a projector. I had heard that putting in an EDID effectively saves the settings? I was thinking that I could somehow put in the settings I mentioned and then hopefully not have to worry about the projector glitching out

5. Markswift2003

I'm not sure what you mean by "I always set it up to match frame rate and HDR - SDR and SDR BT2020 for all content"

And "that allows me to tick the HDR-SDR"

It's the HDR-SDR bit that's confusing me. There's no such option to select or "tick".

6. Ben602

Ben602 New Member

If you go into the settings on HDR there is section in which you can change it to HDR - SDR rec 2020 limited also a tab in the picture as you can see for HDR - SDR looks like I can't upload pics but it's there if you go into the settings

7. Markswift2003

The only similar option is "HDR to SDR" which only allows you to change picture parameters like Brightness & Contrast (which you shouldn't!).

I'm still unclear what's actually happening.

8. Ben602

Ben602 New Member

I uploaded the edid you recommended. The PQ looks great and I think I figured out the issue. The problem is the receiver and some sort of handshake issue. The glitch happened again after viewing a movie and returning to the main screen. I hit the resolution button on the remote and voila the picture came back.

9. Markswift2003

Wasn't an ISO or BDMV was it?

You have to be careful with the resolution button because it cycles, so the resolution/framerate it lands on depends on where it started.

Ben602 likes this.
  10. Ben602

Ben602 New Member

That is good information to know. Hitting the resolution is the only thing that gets it to go back to the main menu otherwise it's a purple haze mess. I generally will hit the info button as a movie is starting to make sure it's in the right framerate. The movie I watched last night was not a ISO or BDMV it was an remux mkv. Thanks for all of the help and input

11. Miguel Ramos

Miguel Ramos Active Member

I’m using the HDFury Vertex 2 with the Zidoo Z10 Pro with the EDID available in the settings connected to a JVC projector.

If I use BT2020NEW 1000nit LLDV, available to download in the fisrt post of this discussion, what will be the main differences in terms of image quality?

12. Markswift2003

If you mean compared to the Zidoo built in EDID then the BT.2020 colour primaries are slightly more accurate but because of the number of bits allocated to their definition in the Dolby Block, I doubt you'd see any huge difference. Maybe on a test pattern. Side by side.

Miguel Ramos likes this.
  13. Miguel Ramos

Miguel Ramos Active Member

I'll test it tonight :)
    And what about the EDID "Full + BT2020NEW 1000nit LLDV +HDR10+"?

14. Markswift2003

That's exactly the same but with the addition of HDR10+ support.

(HDR10+ is just a switch - on or off)

15. Ben602

Ben602 New Member

For a Sony 695es what would be a good EDID? The 400 nit LLDV or 10,000 LLDV not sure what difference could be. I would assume the 400 nit would be better but maybe it's not?

16. Markswift2003

As a rule of thumb the 1000nit is generally better because that's the nit level most content is mastered to (well, it's not really, it's complicated, but it's kind of the standard!).

When you set the Dolby Block to 1000nit, the Dolby decoder tone maps to 1000nits (if required - depends on content) and that's kind of the standard for LLDV. Then when the projector gets hold of it and is told the signal is 1000nit HDR10, the projector then maps the rest of the way to its native output (probably around 100nits).

The key is to match the Dolby nits value to the HDR10 nits value so it depends how that last bit is done - with an HDFury you specify the nits value in the HDR message but if you're just using a manual "HDR mode" in the projector, it depends how that processes the signal - probably at 1000nits as that is a logical assumed value.

17. Ben602

Ben602 New Member

Great thank you Mark you knowledge is invaluable

18. Maxlam

Maxlam New Member

Hi

Could somebody gives me a link to a working EDID file for the Epson 5040ub (or TW9300).
    The link posted in this thread is broken.
    I would like to use the LLDV with my projector.
    Thank you !

19. Visconti12

Visconti12 Active Member

Wait for @Markswift2003 reply. He'll will guide you in details!!

20. Markswift2003

First page of the thread.

Actually just checked and the 5040 is only HDMI 1.4 with a hack to add HDR metadata.

@Maxlam , can you post your EDID and I'll add LLDV.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2023