Beta version v1.0.52 for Z9X Pro/Z20 Pro/Z2000 Pro/Z2600/UHD5000 release

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619BPD)' started by Markswift2003, Jul 21, 2023.

1. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

LOL - Jetlag.

There's a lot going on in there.

The way you described it is that if you leave the box idle for a period of time and then start a video, it fails. That's not what happened in this debug log.

Can you confirm which video caused the issue - I assume it's Black Mirror - Joan Is Awful.

And, more importantly, EXACTLY what happened including how the video was selected (HT or other app) and at what point the issue started.

2. DennisTheMenace

DennisTheMenace Active Member

The lock release switch doesn't seem to be working. Very often my player would boot in 1080p 23 or 25 Hz. Even though I set the lock resolution switch to 2160p 60 Hz. In this case the player seems to respond very slowly even after I manually reset the resolution to 2160p 60Hz. Then only restarting the player helps.

Venmaster and AngryVirginian like this.
  3. Markswift2003

The only way I can think it would do that is if the EDID wasn't ready when it boots. One way to combat that is save your EDID and then load it back in as a Custom EDID so the box always sees an EDID at boot.

Not sure what you mean by "the player seems to respond very slowly".

4. Venmaster

Venmaster Member

This was after a factory reset and fresh install so I was busy rebuilding my PosterWall posters and categories...

and in-between it all I was trying to test a few different files...

Nothing you wouldn't expect a 500 euro box to deal with problem free.

Yes, the video was Black Mirror - Joan is Awful (4k UHD HDR10) ...

Selected via the PosterWall and basically as soon as it was selected it seemed to lag, the file name appeared center screen and the screen went black and all I had was audio. I try to back out of it to go back to PosterWall and the remote button is not responding, so I have to click the home button to get to the home screen and I go back to the PowsterWall and try again and this time everything seems slow and laggy and all I get is a black screen with no audio and the box freezes and not buttons respond so I have to shut the box down and reboot.

Then everything as always works fine again ...

I left the box on and went to bed.

Come the morning after I tried again and it worked for a few video files ok but then the same error happened and rinse and repeat again only way to fix is a reboot.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2023
  5. Markswift2003

Ok - submitted the debug log to the devs so will see what happens with that.

Quick question which I don't think you've mentioned, but is this repeatable with the same video file?

eg. in the above example, in the morning, was it the same file (Black Mirror), another file that had exhibited this behaviour before, or a file that hadn't shown that behaviour before?

Can you post the Black Mirror file on something like Mega.nz and PM me a link please. If I can replicate then the problem becomes a whole lot easier to figure out.

6. Venmaster

Venmaster Member

No after a reboot the same file works fine.

After the morning it played fine too and I watched a few other files and then the problem happened with a different file, this time is was a 1080p video file and again only a reboot would fix it.

Like others have stated the box seems to slow down 'lag' until rebooted.

I can assure you my files are all 100% fine and not corrupt and play problem-free on other devices problem free. And whenever the problem happens on my Z2000 Pro a reboot fixes the issue each time. So this is clearly some sort of stability issue with the O/S.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2023
  7. DennisTheMenace

DennisTheMenace Active Member

Hi Mark

This doesn't always happen, but mostly when I have the player turned off for a long time.
    I don't know how to explain that the player reacts slowly. Except that movements with the remote control react more slowly and films seem to jerk every few seconds, programs like YouTube and Zdmc start more slowly and don't feel smooth. But as I said, if that happens, rebooting will fix it. And everything works normally again. This happens very often when I have shut down the player for a long time, so after starting it up I first have to set the resolution back to 2160p 60hz and then restart the player again.

But another question, shouldn't the lock resolution switch always set the selected resolution, regardless of the EDID? At least that's what the description in the settings says

Venmaster likes this.
  8. Markswift2003

I haven't seen any slowdown of the interface. A couple of firmwares back I remember there were occasions where movies sometimes, very rarely, played jerkily as you describe - kind of as if it was playing at 15fps or something like that.

Seem to remember that pausing and resuming cured it, of if not, starting and stopping fixed it - certainly didn't have to reboot. But I haven't seen this is in a long time.

I wonder if other apps you have installed are misbehaving? The only additional apps I have on my box are the debug app and Jellyfin.

As far as I'm aware the Lock Resolution will only force the setting if the EDID allows - I have my boxes connected to a Vertex2 so there's always an EDID on the end of it and it never fails to boot into my chosen resolution (4K23).

I do remember instances in the dim and distant past with the Z9X where I'd move one in and out of the cinema, so full power down for a while, and it'd boot in 1080p despite the Lock and despite a Vertex in line.

As I say, try the EDID trick - it won't cause any change in behaviour and it means there's always an EDID there.

9. Albaintor

Albaintor New Member

I have the exact same problem and I even did a factory reset, with no apps installed. Only the settings can differ from your setup. My resolution is set to auto (this is unclear what auto does, I have 4K60). Match the video frame rate option enabled, so it should be necessary to force 4K23, besides it gives a choppy interface. 60Hz for the interface and switch to 24Hz for movies. This is a "basic" behavior for multimedia boxes

Venmaster likes this.
  10. Markswift2003

Auto sets the highest HDMI mode allowed by the EDID.

11. Venmaster

Venmaster Member

Hi, @Markswift2003

Have you had any response from the Dev team on the current issues?

I don't mean to be impatient but I bought the box back in July and it will soon be October and none of the issues have been fixed. How long until not just I but we the Zidoo community get a response and or a firmware update/fix?

If I hear nothing within the next 6 weeks then I am going to be contacting the retailer I purchased from via PayPal to request a return and full refund.

I did not pay out 500 euros to be a beta tester for an unstable product, that 3 months on from purchase still has major issues ....

I appreciate the time and effort you have made responding to me and viewing my debug logs but a line has to be drawn somewhere and now 3 months on I will give Zidoo a chance to resolve this issue another 6 weeks but I must be realistic and state if no changes are made come November then my time as a Zidoo user will unfortunately have to end with a RMA.

Kind regards.

Tarantula, fnhanks and nutzer like this.
  12. Markswift2003

Not a word.

13. cucnz

cucnz Active Member

Z9X Pros just arrived :)
    preinstalled with this current firmware (and a correct NZ powerbrick)

Set up and did a few quick tests...ive gone with VS10 DV for all

DV and VS10 DV worked smooth ,no stutters or pauses for the 4 Full image movies i tried (all straight from play vid option ... I never use menus)
    ran for 5 mins or so then fast forward several times with the Side arrow ,no audio or vid issues at all ....USB HDD into USB 3 port

DV and VS10 DV also worked correctly for TV episodes via SMB that i did same for as above
    The VS10 DV looks better on the older 80s series like Wings and Nightcourt that i checked (Both 1080p upscales)
    Plus WOT DV epis also looked great and smooth while testing

Ive since upgraded to the G version ,thou i cant see UAPP listed in the google app section (think cos installed on Z9X atm ..something to sort later)

MP7 also scanned my 2 TB of Dsf files no issue and played back via USB to Topping E50 Dac all fine

ONLY issue is same as with Z9X
    after playing Music via USB Audio ,theres no sound output over HDMI for movie/tv until i go to settings and turn USB Audio off (even thou it states in the settings this setting only effects usb audio )
    Would be great if Zidoo Team could set up a programable key to toggle USB Audio on and off ...save the menu dives multiple times a day :p

Z9X Pro to Denon 3700 H to Panasonic LZ1500 OLED

Ill update after a movie etc tonight ,time for dinner now :p

Full movie completed Enders game 2160p DA MKV played via VS10 .Played flawlessly no stutters pauses etc , and looked better than i remember ,thou ive upgraded the OLED by 3 models and gone to the proffessional level latest OLED panel (ie G series 1000 model to L series 1500 model Panasonic OLED ) so it should have :p

so ,so far only issue seems to be UAPP app isnt available on google play to this new range of Zidoo pros (similar has happened to a new range of cellphones ...removed from google store due to the new devices crashing using it)
    Is that whats happened here ?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2023
  14. 9800pro

9800pro New Member

Posted already these issues below in another thread, but it didn't get traction :).
    These are present on latest stable 1.0.52 and alpha 1.0.58 (from mcbluna site).

- 1080p@24fps files are played as 1080p@60 (based on info status on screen, output resolution is set to auto)
    - the run time of the video on the front display is not linear, it skips every few seconds
    - when watching DV videos, if the scene is very dark, the top and bottom black bars are very visible, almost dark green. They should be completely dark but they are brighter than the video. Its most noticeable in dark room. HDR doesn't have that issue.
    - when downloading subtitles, in my case Croatian, the player renames them to Czech, CZ instead of HR. The subtitle is Croatian, it's just renamed wrong.
    - the latest Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.3 with 62 chapters, my Bluray remux rip. Z9X Pro cannot skip chapters. It skips one chapter then i have to skip 1 minute and then i can skip the next chapter. Tried several versions of the same movie, it's the same.
    - when adding sources from SMB i have to enter SMB credentials every time, even if it is the folder from the same SMB. "remember credentials" would be a good option.
    - the music player doesn't play songs from the start from SMB source. The music starts some 1-2 seconds after selecting it.
    - after a few hours of not using it there is no image going to the tv when selecting Z9X as a source. Have to reboot it. It reacts to the remote power off button so it's working, just not sending the image out.

Venmaster likes this.
  15. geebolt

geebolt Member

Yes, changing to USB audio and back would be nice if there was an on/off toggle with an on screen notice even. Many times I forget I was using USB and later when I get no HDMI audio it takes me a minute to figure out what I did. Now I will say it's easier than my Z10 which would have to reboot every time you changed the state of the USB audio.

I was disappointed to find that UAPP is not on the play store and the reason is that the OS used by the new Zidoos is Android TV and not Android. I tried the Android TV version from the UAPP website but it won't play because I can't get it to verify my license.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2023
    Venmaster likes this.
  16. Markswift2003

-1080p24 plays correctly - maybe an EDID issue, finger trouble or file issue.
    upload_2023-9-22_14-24-43.png

-Watched the progress display on the front panel for 60s and couldn't see any issues - counted up without skipping or cadence issues.

-Grey bars on DV are a known issue and only present for cropped video. Thread here, devs are aware:
    http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?threads/cropped-dolby-vision-with-grey-bars.96106/#post-195528

-There is a known issue with chapters. Devs are aware.

-Credentials are remembered by default - have never seen this issue.

-Won't comment on Music Player - don't use it and it's a bit of a non-starter for me

-No idea why you'd loose signal - my test box is on 24/7 and is always pumping out the screen saver when I come back to it.

17. hdmkv

hdmkv Active Member Beta test group

This is frustrating :(. Even incremental fixes would be welcome.

Venmaster likes this.
  18. Markswift2003

Very.

Venmaster likes this.
  19. AngryVirginian

AngryVirginian Active Member

I am having a similar issue with Z20 Pro --> Denon X3700H --> LG C9. The resolution settings always changed to 4K60 despite manually setting it to 4K23 locked. HDR settings also changed to "Auto" despite setting it to DV for everything. My issue is probably that the Z20 Pro is keeping the Denon on through CEC. On the Zidoo, I enabled CEC and enabled only the audio volume option. I noticed that the Denon always turned itself back on after turning it off. I leave the Zidoo on 24/7.

I will try the custom EDID approach and report back.

20. TheRedDevil7

TheRedDevil7 New Member

I Think the Same... Unfortunately...

Do you know if developers follow these threads?

Venmaster likes this.