Beta version v6.4.62 for Z9X/Z10 Pro/Z1000 Pro/UHD3000 release

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by mirror, Apr 19, 2023.

1. Jimbo Randy

Jimbo Randy Active Member

Do you suggest updating past 6.4.42? Is there a reason to?

2. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

I have two Zidoo Z9X players and both on the latest firmware .62. Don't see anything that would be a step beck for me. Some people reported 3D issues with it. Maybe someone that has issue with latest firmware can comment here. Probably not a major step from .42 anyway.

3. Jimbo Randy

Thanks. I'll just update. I have to do it via usb, right? Seems like the latest firmware the update pulls on the Zidoo is 6.4.42

4. Netmask

Netmask Well-Known Member

Very common experience with many media boxes over the years. Sometimes the size and complexity of the upgrade is a bit large and complex to risk OTA download install, sometimes simply available human resources available preclude preparing the OTA download in a reasonable time frame. For me I prefer downloading to USB and installing it within my time frame, possibly after I’ve read several reviews. Some people have less than efficient internet facilities. Finally in the past I’ve waited till McBluna had the firmware available as a USB download when it was available as an OTA install. Reason, at the time I had dicky download speed for OTA but a straightforward download was more reliable. So a multitude of reasons.

Jimbo Randy likes this.
  5. Jimbo Randy

Why is the firmware file almost a gig large? Lol.

6. JOE9007

JOE9007 Member

In your opinion, will the Zidoo developers let this product die with a beta version or will they release a definitive version? (if there will ever be a definitive version)

7. Jimbo Randy

What exactly needs to be fixed with firmware that isn't already? Just trailers and BD menus or something?

8. Temearoo

Temearoo Active Member

9. Jordan Walker

Jordan Walker Member

There’s also some small basic stuff like the audio channels still not reporting correctly. 5.1 showing up as 7.1 etc.

gymnos likes this.
  10. tc2007

tc2007 Active Member

For one, some applications cannot access files on HDDs (any external storage device). This is also true on the new lineup products as well. This needs to be fixed asap.

11. Netmask

Could this be a local non Zidoo problem, network or other problem? I have a UHD3000 and everything just works, NAS, any attached drives and both internals. Early on I did have a few problems when I lost power due to a local power outage. Once I put everything onto fixed IP’s never since a problem with my sources.

12. Edworld

Edworld Member

Handling certain types of subtitles, it ignores the settings and just displays the first subtitle on the mkv file.

darkeyes909 likes this.
  13. Yohmi

Yohmi Member

Only the points concerning my use :
    • Genres filter not working (shows blank result depending on the view).
    • Country filter populated randomly (so it shows country that aren't in your medias and skip countries that are in your medias)
    • History only shows a handful of medias (so if you want to see what was played last week, well… you can't, and better go to Trakt.)
    • Slow poster wall (not slow, but sloooooooow)
    • CEC problems (in my case, my remote is almost never recognised by default so I must launch my TV's CEC companion once the Zidoo is booted, which quits HT4, and sometimes the play/pause/stop/prev/next buttons don't work no matter what I do ; tt works perfectly with my PS5 so this isn't my TV.)
    • Remote app not working (I can't boot my Zidoo with the remote app for example, althouth the app pretends it's done)
    • Play status not always recorded (yesterday I stopped a movie in the middle, today the Zidoo had no idea that movie ever started to play)
    • "Seen" status isn't properly set, if a media is not fully played, it enters in a state of "not played" and not "not played", which makes it invisible in the "not played" filter while not displaying the "played" icon either. It should remain "not played" until fully played.
    • More a feature missing than a bug, can't fast scroll through the poster wall. I use a chronological library and if I want to watch a recent movie I have to painfully scroll through each line (I'm not talking about only 10 press) until I reach the end of the sloooooow poster wall, while other players allow you to scroll with digits just like it's already the case during play.
    • Impossible to manage the content on the external drive plugged to the Zidoo through network. It should be totally feasible, but so far it's been too slow.
    • Sleep mode not working. In my case, my Zidoo never enters sleep mode, it's only on or off, so it always boots up, which takes much time every time (including all the CEC problems to solve at each boot, nice cocktail).

And I probably miss other things. It's definitely still in beta, stable and usable (at least for me), with no playback issues, no video or sound quality issues, so it's still better than any other solution available at the moment for me. It's mostly UI / browsing issues. But this box isn't exactly cheap, and a working UI isn't exactly a bonus feature either. And I'm not making distinctions between firmware and HT here, I don't know exactly the dependencies.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2023
  14. tc2007

tc2007 Active Member

This is a problem with internally attached hard drives and USB drives.

15. Netmask

I currently don’t have any of those problems. Once I set fixed or reserved IP’s everything has been ok after a power outage. All my sources are set at above .200
    DHCP only applies to addresses below 200.

16. tc2007

tc2007 Active Member

@Netmask your settings are network related. I am talking about any disks directly attached to the device via USB or internal hard drives. Some 3rd party apps are not able to read from those disks. SMB folders have no issue.

17. Netmask

I have 2 x 10TB internal drives (WD Reds 5400 rpm) no problems. A variety of USB connected drives from time to time.

18. tc2007

tc2007 Active Member

19. Netmask

When I have time I’ll try, a good experiment. I don’t play music from my Zidoo, original vinyl in my music studio, classical opera mostly. My Zidoo is for videos, movies, tv series etc.

20. Phil181

Phil181 Active Member

That app may have access restrictions.
    Have you tried the inbuilt Zidoo Music Player or ZDMC for your music collection? Both have no issues with play from internal, external or network drives.