Beta version v6.4.62 for Z9X/Z10 Pro/Z1000 Pro/UHD3000 release

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by mirror, Apr 19, 2023.

1. Visconti12

Visconti12 Active Member

I was describing a possible reason HT4 misses the previous file list

2. BdoUK

BdoUK New Member

I know it's a long shot but have you looked at the monthly Synology health reports on your hard drives? I was tearing my hair out trying to get stutter free playback via SMB from my Synology NAS and the issue was finally corrected when I replaced a drive the had a deindentification error that would show up just once per month on the report. After trying everything thing else recommended on this forum that finally resolved my issue.

3. HDGuy

HDGuy Active Member

So is Zidoo going to go out on the Z9X with a firmware where NFS doesn’t work?

I don’t know but to me that’s not much of an incentive to upgrade.

4. Visconti12

Visconti12 Active Member

That's not my case case since my connection to NAS is via antenna-SMB and bitrate slower than via cable.

5. Jimbo Randy

Jimbo Randy Active Member

Hey guys, I am new to this thread. I am still on firmware 6.4.42 so I haven't tried any of the new beta firmwares. Can someone confirm what the below was in reference to? What exactly was the issue? Is the issue that it shows 24hz for 25hz content? Was this just a UI display bug? Or was the Zidoo actually showing playing these files in the wrong framerate?

"5. Fixed incorrect frame rate display for some movies"

6. Jimbo Randy

@Markswift2003 related to my question above, how does the Zidoo handle content in 25hz or 29hz or weird framerates like that? Does it send it over as 25hz? Or does it try to send it as 24hz? I'm asking since the ZDMC (Kodi) player has some sort of "sync framerate" option that's supposed to apparently do something like this. I'm not super comfortable with my understanding of this so plesae feel free to correct me here. Basically I'm asking how the Zidoo and my LG C1 deal with 25hz content. I'd assume this would create massive judder on the TV without some sort of mitigation feature.

7. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

Zidoo will check your TV EDID info and match the output to your TV capabilities. As long as your TV can handle it and it is properly reported by TV in EDID block you get correct frame matching to 25Hz or any other variation. In case your TV is not capable or not listing some odd frequency like 29Hz or 25Hz Zidoo will typically spit it out at 60Hz or maybe 59. Your TV has frame interpolation processor. Any small positive adjustment on LG De-Judder will decode source frame rate from 60Hz and produce pretty good image without noticeable judder. My LG is old but I'm assuming that LG philosophy on de-judder stayed the same.

Jimbo Randy likes this.
  8. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

The only time a frame rate is handled "incorrectly" is if the EDID doesn't allow it to do so.

For example, a 400MHz EDID trying to play 4K59 DV content with Auto frame rate only - in this case 600mHz is required so the Zidoo should drop to 1080P59 but can't as auto resolution is off and because 59.940 is not an integer, it can't halve it as it would with 60Hz so it has no option other than to serve at 4K23.

As long as the display can handle the mode required correctly, the Zidoo will serve it correctly.

You also have to bear in mind legal HDMI modes - not all frame rates are supported by the HDMI standard at all resolutions.

Jimbo Randy likes this.
  9. studlygoorite

studlygoorite New Member

Question, if I am using two outputs from my Anthem AVM 70, one to a couple Epson Projectors that I switch between and the other to a Samsung 85QN90a, would that cause EDID issues....that may have caused stutter and sync issues I see now with 4k HDR rips? and if so, is there anything in the new beta version that might help?

10. Jimbo Randy

I have some 29p content that is reported as 30hz by my TV when playing off the Zidoo. Does this mean my LG C1 doesn't accept 29hz1080p?

What was the issue that 4.2.60 fixed with framerates not displayin gocrrectly?

11. Jimbo Randy

If the TV is getting 25 or 29hz for example, does Cinema Screen/Real Cinema (the 4:3 or 5:5 pulldown activator) do anything or nah?

12. Markswift2003

Some displays show 30 for both 29 & 30 and 24 for both 23 & 24.

Check the Zidoo info screen.

13. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

Switching or splitting HDMI ports is a hit and miss. Based on device it may dynamically update EDID or maintain first one to boot. If you want to have good control over the EDID strings just capture it to Zidoo one at the time from all devices. You can conveniently use custom EDID settings in Zidoo and load the one you need. No reboot required.

studlygoorite and vddan like this.
  14. Jimbo Randy

Thanks. Can you confirm my question regarding the beta firmware? What did the below refer to? What was happening? I'm trying to see if I should upgrade from the 6.4.42 firmware.

"5. Fixed incorrect frame rate display for some movies"

15. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

Real Cinema is dedicated to 24fps. If enabled it will match screen fresh to source frame rate. It will be 5:1 on LG 120Hz screen. It will refresh each frame 5 times (OLED no flicker) and switch to the next frame. It looks rather harsh strobing motion since the frame transition is instantaneous and it appears as popping compared to LCD screens where frame transition has a bit of blur. The 120Hz screen refresh rate is slightly adjusted down to match 23.976fps following pixel clock rate from HDMI. In case of 30fps as long as you can select Real Cinema it will produce 4:1 ratio. For 25fps is probably 100Hz refresh with 4:1. When you turn off the Real Cinema and don't use TrueMotion it will apply 3:2 pulldown or rather 6:4 on 120Hz screen with 24fps. Turning TrueMotion on starts motion processor and decodes the source frame rates like 24 from 60Hz signal. It will apply frame interpolation in small adjustments as you drive the slider up on De-Judder. De-Blur is for 50 and 60fps sorce frame interpolation.

16. Markswift2003

it’s so long ago I can’t remember exactly, but it’s to do with reported frame rate and not actual frame rate so wouldn’t affect performance.

17. Jimbo Randy

Thanks man. In your personal opinion, should I update to 6.4.64 if I'm currently on 6.4.42?

Also, why do we have to install the beta firmwares via usb? I have the "download beta firmware" checkbox checked on the Zidoo but it sticks to 6.4.42.

18. Jimbo Randy

So I'm pretty sure cinema screen (or real cinema, whatever it's called on different TVs) apply 3:2 pulldown to get 24hz out of a 60hz stream. If you don't have real cinema on, I think it just plays it at 60hz and multiplies by 2, so you get Judder. The below is what classytech told me:

"24fps doesn't divide evenly in to 60hz. That's what 3:2 pulldown is for. When the content is played as 24hz it can be evenly multiplied to 120hz with 5:5 pulldown. The setting applies both but for some reason adds additional smoothing when at 60hz."

So in your opinion, should cinema screen basically be ON all the time, unless it's 60hz content? (since apparently this adds a bit of soap opera effect at 60hz although I've never noticed this). The internal apps are all apparently 60hz according to classytech, which was news to me. I assumed they adjusted framerate but apparently not?

19. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

I don't think it does that. If the stream is 60fps Real Cinema is probably greyed out as not applicable. If you force the player to send 24fps stream at 60Hz frame rate the Real Cinema may just play it back to 24fps but I doubt it. I think it's greyed out also.
    Real Cinema ON it pays at 120Hz correct film cadence looking like true 24fps. Real Cinema OFF it plays it at 60Hz with 3:2 pulldown. No smoothing of any kind, just a bit of pulsing from uneven frame exposure. It could be perceived as smoother compared to true 24fps on OLED screens.
    It is a matter of personal preference. I use frame interpolation that cancels Real Cinema all together. 24fps motion is to harsh and strobing for me on OLED screen. Netfix App from LG store plays content at 24fps. Real Cinema can be selected. It's greyed out when the content is 60Hz at least on my old OLED 65E6P.

20. Jimbo Randy

Yea I think you're right with the info above. Idk, I just keep real cinema on in all scenarios (unless it's greyed out due to 60hz stream obviously). I don't really have any issues and the OLED 24p stutter doesn't bother me that much since I'm a PC gamer and am no stranger to stuttering issues ;-)

3DBuff likes this.