PlexToZidoo : An external player for plex using native Zidoo player

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by gogo789, Nov 4, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dezed13

Dezed13 New Member

I tried this, but man the ui/ux on zidoo plex mod / Kodi is just too far away from the plex experience. It’s kinda ugly! I guess nothing we can do there, and if I was on a z9x pro I’d go for it. But with the z9x I’ll stick with the official plex client with plextozidoo until it breaks.

2. bowlingbeeg

bowlingbeeg Active Member

Maybe ... it would take quite a bit of work to get all of the substitution settings into the Kodi addon. So it's not impossible but I'm not sure if I'm going to tackle it. Seems like a number of people don't even like the ZidooPlexMod interface so I'm not sure how much of an audience it will have.

3. karmu

karmu Member

OK, it's not the prettiest interface, but it works and you can find everything.
    E.g. I've never used skins on Kodi either. Useless in my opinion ;)

4. bowlingbeeg

I actually kind of like it ... I like that it doesn't have any of the Plex free streaming or discovery stuff on there. That stuff doesn't really work so it's nice that it doesn't show up. It's more focused on local content which is really what the zidoo box is meant for.

karmu likes this.
  5. gyrene2083

gyrene2083 Member

@bowlingbeeg just updated everything to your latest. I noticed playing an Anime results in no subs being played. I tested the same Anime in Emby and the subs are playing fine. Is this a known issue or am I missing a setting somewhere?

6. karmu

karmu Member

7. gyrene2083

gyrene2083 Member

I appreciate that. My next question is how to configure the substitution.

*Edit - I tried to fill in everything in the substitution fields, and get an error message now when trying to play a file.

I have the Z9x Pro.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2023
  8. bowlingbeeg

Added a new version of ZidooPlexMod(0.1.4). There are a couple of small enhancements to this version including an attempt to speed up the hub queries that are done after a file has been played. The old code would sometimes query the server for every file for some of the hubs. I've also added progress bars, unwatched status, and the remaining time to the pre-play screen. Let me know if you have any issues.

https://github.com/bowlingbeeg/plex-for-kodi/releases/tag/ZidooPlexMod_v0.1.4

9. bowlingbeeg

In the PlexToZidoo app turn on the debug option and then when you try playing a file it will pop up and show some information about what it did for the substitution. See if that's displaying an error.

10. karmu

karmu Member

I noticed one more thing (v1.3):
    The title of the movie/episode is no longer displayed,
    this did work with Plex -> PTZ.

I will test the v1.4 tomorrow.

11. bowlingbeeg

Where exactly isn't the title being displayed? Are you talking about on the Home screen or the info screen?

12. karmu

karmu Member

I mean the title displayed by PlexToZidoo just before the movie starts.
    Sorry, I expressed myself somewhat stupidly.

13. bowlingbeeg

Did you change the setting "Show title when zidoo player starts" in PlexToZidoo?

14. karmu

karmu Member

Yes, is activated, but now it gets strange:
    If I start a film, there is no title.
    If I stop it and start it again, the title is displayed.

I have the same behavior in Plex, although it still worked with PTZ 1.8 inPlex.

15. bowlingbeeg

That's strange since that functionality hasn't changed. It pulls the title from the Plex Server and sends it to the zidoo player. The player is the one that displays the data.

16. gyrene2083

gyrene2083 Member

Thanks for the help bowlingbeeg. I set the debug and I'm getting an ERROR: No substitution found msg. There's a ton of info after that, and the best way to show you if you'd like is with a picture. I could DM you if you'd like.

Edit * - I am running this off unraid. I have smb://ipaddress/data/media mapped to the zidoo player. I do have a username and password and I have put that in as well.

I set the following;

• Part of the path to replace
      • /media
    • Replace with
      • smb://192.168.x.x/data/media
    This doesn't throw that ERROR: No substitution error now, but when I click on play it won't play the video. I hope this helps someone help me. Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2023
  17. bowlingbeeg

Have you tried accessing your media through the media center app to see if that works?

gyrene2083 likes this.
  18. gyrene2083

gyrene2083 Member

It does work. I'm able to see the files, I also have Emby installed and I tested a show and it works fine. Also tried an Anime, and the subs show up with no problem.

19. bowlingbeeg

pcristi and gyrene2083 like this.
  20. park13

park13 New Member

Just making sure I am reading this correctly

"Choose either the native Plex app(only works on Z9X generation) or the ZidooPlexMod Kodi app". I can only use Plex App if I am on Zidoo Z9x? right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.