CD Drive for ripping/playing

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A6' started by B0bs4g3t, Jun 3, 2023.

1. SausageDog

SausageDog Member

Are the issues for the non-SuperDrive generic CD drives still standing? As this is a major aspect for me to decide whether or not to consider the A6 for purchase. Reading here and there it seems to me that Eversolo is not giving too much attention to this topic. @mirror, am I wrong?

Grg72 likes this.
  2. Still the same issues in my case. As Nice Monkey mentioned, hiccups seem shorter but still happening, mainly at the beginning of each song. Sometimes more than once.
    After installing the firmware 1.1.75 I managed to rip a cd that was rejected before (the rip process was aborting after track 1)
    A funny thing I found when the album has 2 or more discs, the track labels of cd 2 are the same as cd 1. Like it is recognising the album, the cover, etc but unable to differentiate discs. When disc 2 has the same number of tracks as disc 1 or less, no problem. If it has more, the cd reading operation is aborted. Maybe because of the failed labelling? This is a bit annoying because it won’t read/play/rip the disc(s) if there are more tracks than on disc 1. And the wrong labelling.

Nice Monkey likes this.
  3. Bonzo

Bonzo Active Member

So, better, but not completely fixed?

4. ammar11

ammar11 Well-Known Member

They are working on this, they've bought a bunch of CD drives to test. Some issues need time to fix, but you can be sure they're giving their attention.

5. An update on my tests.
    I am trying now with a Samsung SE-S084 F and it works ok. I'm using the Y cable as suggested. Otherwise, it doesn't work properly.
    I am testing with the same CDs I used before, where I had some of them working more flawlessly than others.
    There's still some rattling sound happening but it seems like it is when it is reading the info of the disc or track. After that, it goes flawlessly.
    No hiccups! But there's still a gap of few seconds between tracks.
    My previous experience of rattling sound and re-starting of the Eversolo (without any success of even reading the cd) was with an SE-S084 C.
    Ripping works ok too.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2023
    Nice Monkey and ammar11 like this.
  6. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

As said before I think all is a matter of timing with drivers so it should be solvable.
    Let's see how it goes.

It never will be a realistic CD-player substitution but the more essential ripping could become a nice to have feature. This for those who like ripping plain and simple.

Kusalajoti Lens likes this.
  7. SausageDog

SausageDog Member

I don't know guys, not to be overcritical, but it really seems that the DMP-A6 has been released with this feature just barely tested. The device is advertised to provide an USB 3.0 OTG port which is supposed to be able to power 99% of the external CD/DVD drives on the market with this standard without issues and without the need of additional power, something that even the cheapest laptop PC can do. The reported rattling noise during TOC reading may not really depending by how the DMP-A6 access the external unit but gapless between tracks is more likely something that can be implemented via software. Actually it seems that both major hardware and software issues have been totally overlooked for this feature, but if for the first aspect I highly doubt that something can be done other than side powering the external unit I really hope that something can/will be done in order to improve the reading/managing process at software level. I understand that for many/most this is an irrelevant feature to have but, if well implemented, can really save others without an extensive CD collection from keeping an expensive dedicated additional component on the rack.

8. Raymond Lim

Raymond Lim Member

Is anyone having issue with CD playback? There will be intermittent stutter from time to time. I also playback 5.1 DTS CD and it also stutter intermittently as well. If I ripped to SDD, no issue. Only direct playback on my ASUS external bluray driver will have this issue. Connecting to the top USB 3.0 input at the back of the A6. Changed several USB 3.0 cable but to no avail. Anyone having this issue or is there a workaround?

9. Agree. But I also like playing my cds and having the fancy display of the different information on the Eversolo ;) (my audio gear is pretty basic) .

10. Nice Monkey

I understand but recommend ripping those CD's and play them via FLAC next. Needs only be done once and next you have them in a nice database with even more features.

11. I know that. I have all my cds ripped, or most of them. And loads more, a quite big music collection. And I'm also using Roon to deal with it. It's just a very personal preference of playing the cd in the old fashion way... :rolleyes:

12. Nice Monkey

I have a wall filled with (old) DVD's which have been almost all replaced with BD in ISO. Just kept as decoration. ;)

ammar11 and Kusalajoti Lens like this.
  13. ammar11

Same here, only CDs and BDs though, got rid of DVDs a long time ago.

I still actively rip BDs when new titles have been released (unlike music, movies on streaming are far from the same quality on BD) but I’m really done with CDs, new albums immediately available on streaming services in CD quality so I’ve never bought any new CDs anymore. And as I’ve mentioned before I no longer listen to my existing CD rips.

14. NMWDF

NMWDF Member

I agree. Eversolo is no doubt frustrated with the constant complaining that the A6 'will not make my coffee when I get up in the morning'. However with more than 6000 viewers and 150 detailed responses, the CD ripping issue is clearly the most important topic on this forum. Eversolo should stop saying that a split USB cable will solve the problem (most recently on the ASR forum, p73), it does not! After a month of study and analysis by both Eversolo and consumers, it should be admitted that the problem cannot be corrected in the current hardware version of the A6. While the CD ripping feature was important to me, its failure does not detract from the fact that overall the A6 is an outstanding and sophisticated device that will please most users.

SausageDog likes this.
  15. Bonzo

Bonzo Active Member

Well the obvious work around is to rip your CDs to a computer, then transfer them over to the A6 memory card. If they hadn't advertised the internal rip feature I doubt many would be complaining. But this way I feel a bit duped. Time will tell once I get it and try it out.

As for playing CDs, I plan to use an actual CD player, not a cheap $50 standalone computer oriented drive. I will hook the CD player up to the A6 via toslink (not USB) which should eliminate all the stutter and or gapless playback issues. It SHOULD be just like playing a CD. But we'll see.

In the end, I may not even use the A6 for that either. If my new processor (not purchased yet) sounds better, then I'll end up using the A6 as a streamer and music library only (no computer required). My fear now is that since they over promised and under delivered on one big issue, what's also out there in doesn't work right land? I'm sorry but Emotiva's perpetual lies and years of never working right have me gun shy on this stuff. At least so far, Eversolo seems to be fixing things fast, so that's better than Emo. But I'm still leary of what line of sales I'm being sold here.

16. B0bs4g3t

B0bs4g3t New Member

Using the newest firmware, the SuperDrive was able to power on and accept one CD. It took a minute to register that there was CD in the drive. Started to play. Long pauses in between songs. Removed CD. Put in a second. Does not detect the CD. Will not play it or give me ability to eject.

As others have said, the device for streaming has been awesome. Use it daily. But this advertisement of CD playback seems untrue…

17. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

Out of curiosity, how, and to what format do you rip the BD's? I'd like to have a try with MPD.
    I own a lot of CDs, and it is still my preferred (well... only?!?) pure music media (I am clean: I neither do drugs, nor streaming...) although I never play them directly, as I rip them to single flac + CUE.
    :)

18. Jo L

Jo L New Member

Mine accepted all cds! It took 50-60 seconds to read the cd and 15 seconds between each song and when selecting "next"! It depicts album art and ejects every time I select it! Everything slooowly, but last week nothing worked !
    Soo, at least we are moving in the right direction!!

ammar11 and Nutul like this.
  19. ammar11

Gosh, I really don’t remember specifically the last time was like 5 years ago. It was not all at one time, so there’s no one single software I used. The ones I remember the most was EAC, and a software called like CDDA or something. Man, I’m not that old, but I noticed I got more forgetful after having COVID-19 twice. All my rips are FLACs using the best recommended settings to get bit perfect as disk space wasn’t an issue.

Nutul likes this.
  20. ammar11

That’s good news. So it wasn’t working before firmware v1.1.75? The update did do something about it then.