MakeMKV new version 1.15.4

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Whitfield, Dec 11, 2020.

1. Oldirtydog

Oldirtydog Member

The.Lord.of.the.Rings.The.Fellowship.of.the.Ring.2001.DISC1.EXTENDED.2160p.BluRay.HEVC.TrueHD.7.1.Atmos-BOREDOR convert with makemkv 1.15.4
    When start the movie with DD+ and Vision over 40-50 minutes i have no problem,when change to Atmos TrueHD after 3,4 minutes the old problems begin.. this is with last firmware of zidoo!

Whitfield likes this.
  2. Oldirtydog

Oldirtydog Member

The second movie with DV FEL is start with HDR ,after Gladiator ,the Le.Cercle.Rouge.1970.COMPLETE.UHD.BLURAY.iNTERNAL-SharpHD started with HDR. Only The lord of the ring two movies run vision.From 4 movies FEL the result is 2 on 2 Vision vs HDR :)

3. OlivierQC

OlivierQC Well-Known Member

it would be better to check by watching the whole movie, the problem may appear after 50 minutes

4. Whitfield

Whitfield Active Member

Thanks for your trouble & conformation, Oldirtydog.

5. DaMacFunkin

DaMacFunkin Active Member

The lord of the rings movie are Mel, this is verified on makemkv forums and confirmed on blu-ray.com, gladiator is FEL so needs converting to MEL 8.1.

6. DennisTheMenace

DennisTheMenace Active Member

Do you guys think that it will be possible to play these FEL MKVs one day natively in dolby vision, or is there no chance?

7. DaMacFunkin

Hi Dennis, if you mean ripping a FEL movie with Makemkv and it playing in Dolby Vision straight off the bat with Z9X then this is a possibility, but only if Zidoo WANT to implement it.

Their licence with Dolby doesn't support this scenario, this is possibly why there is resistance from them.

I think a one click program that converts to another profile is more likely.

DennisTheMenace likes this.
  8. Whitfield

Whitfield Active Member

Huh, it's a license thing? Would you care to explain what's going on?

9. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

No chance I'm afraid. Regardless of any other consideration, two HEVC decoders are needed, one for the 4K HDR10 base layer and one for the 2K enhancement layer.

10. DennisTheMenace

Is there somewhere a noob friendly tutorial how i can convert a already single layer Fel Mkv into a Mel Mkv ?
    That would really be awesome

11. Oldirtydog

Oldirtydog Member

Can somebody to convert FEL movies with this makemkv from first time ?

12. DennisTheMenace

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
  13. xskip

xskip Active Member

Tested again with Cinema Paradiso.
    BluRay is DV. I made 2 mkvs. First with MKVToolnix, HDR vers. And second with Makemkv, DV version.
    No Atmos, only DTS-HD MA, PCM mono and comm. Works fine.
    But... i prefer the HDR version. i know... crazy. :)

14. cucnz

cucnz Active Member

Yuescope whos done most of the command line stuff on makemkv forum for the converting ,is working on a one clcik option from what ive read on the forum but,Uni is taking most of his time atm ,so its a slower process
    Plus i dont think he has a 4k mediaplayer to test them so relies on all the forum posts results,to get changes

DennisTheMenace likes this.
  15. DaMacFunkin

Sorry, their licensing doesn’t support profile 7 of any format, the fact that profile 7 Mel rips are ‘working’ is accidental...
    To make a profile 7 FEL rips work straight out of Makemkv like they do on the shield they would actively have to enable this, which they can’t be seen to be doing..?
    Like Mark said to do true profile 7 you need 2 decoders which the Zidoo doesnt have, we are talking purely about Mkv rips in this thread which only have one stream.

DennisTheMenace and Whitfield like this.
  16. DaMacFunkin

@mirror offered him a Zidoo Z9X for testing and he didn’t take up the offer.
    I later reminded him about it and it defo got lost in translation.

17. DaMacFunkin

I get you totally.
    Zidoo like other android players is not getting correct colours with these profile 7 rips, it isn’t as bad as the shield but the push is definitely there.
    I tested 20 mins of Tremors yesterday, one on Oppo clone from BDMV and o e from Zidoo via MKV.
    Zidoo definitely pushes colours, KBs face was noticeably more red / orange depending on the scene than on the Chinoppo.

xskip likes this.
  18. cucnz

cucnz Active Member

You can see it in Alita too
    The HDR10+ is definitly lighter throughtout the images compared to the DV treatment on the same file

19. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

I'm not seeing any colour push, although the saturation using VS10 is more pronounced vs the HDR10 version and my personal preference is the VS10 version output as LLDV.

The difference here though is that because my TV isn't DV, I change the colour primaries in the Dolby block in the EDID to BT.2020, set TMaxPQ (Dolby max luminance) to 1000 nits and use the TV in it's standard HDR10 mode. This gives a very satisfying image.

What's interesting is that the primaries in the Dolby block for different TVs vary quite considerably and you'd obviously expect that to match the colour profile the TV uses for DV. But if they don't match then you will get a colour push.

This is something we found in the early days of the LLDV hack, before the Dolby block was decoded. It turned out that the Sony EDID we were using at the time had primaries very close to DCI-P3 and using a standard HDR profile with BT.2020 pushed the colours out leading to a so-called Red Push. Once we realised that it was a simple case of either using a DCI-P3 profile in the TV or adjusting the EDID Dolby block to BT.2020 which is my preference.

Notably, the C9 in the list below is the only one using Dolby primaries close to BT.2020 which is obviously a testament to it's gamut ability but it's surprising that it shows a colour push.

It would be an interesting experiment to take an LG C9 and a Vertex, input BT.2020 LLDV to the Vertex and disable LLDV on output and tell the TV it's a 1000nit BT.2020 HDR10 signal. Daft as it sounds since it's a DV TV, I reckon that would look great!

upload_2020-12-14_9-17-31.png

It's just a real shame I can't test VS10's ability to tone map to HDR and SDR but as I've said many times, the luminance levels are so far out, it's not even worth looking at, which is kind of the whole point of VS10.

Cyclion and xskip like this.
  20. ghostshadow

ghostshadow Member

Hi by re-encoding the video in x265 with RPU metadata (so no remux and no yusesope method)
    [​IMG]
    the colorimetry of the video is correct in Dovi with HDR on Auto (no VS10).It is not a question of remuxing the EL + Rpu layer but of extracting the RPU (the improvement metadata) and of encoding the video with this data, as is done during the creation in the studio. from Bluray Dovi. This has been tested on the Peter Jacson, Bevery Hills, Total Recall, Private Ryan and Justice league. So the problem for colorimetry must come either from the method used (yusesope), or from the HDR setting

xskip likes this.