Recommended Settings and other useful stuff for RTD 1619DR Players

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Markswift2003, Oct 21, 2020.

1. xskip

xskip Active Member

2. Oldpainless

Oldpainless Active Member

That clip plays perfect (black) on my z1000Pro - have you set both your player and display to limited range?

Noticed you have a CX - I have the BX, and like I hinted at above, I have set both the Zidoo and the LG OLED to limited rtange.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2022
    xskip likes this.
  3. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Absolutely pitch black here too on a Samsung LED..

The image you posted appears to show a gradient to the background - lighter at the bottom of the image where the test appears - is that that the case?

And I'm not really sure what you mean by:

"i know... new replaced panel (3 weeks), banding, pixel refresh… done.
    5% gray test, still visable banding."

xskip likes this.
  4. xskip

xskip Active Member

Limited range?
    my settings for z9x are from page 1.

Screenshot 2022-03-28 at 12.29.08.png

LG CX limited range?

works perfect on appleTv.

if i watch this clip with a little daylight, its perfect black.

5. Oldpainless

Are you sure it's not a defective panel?

I tested your clip in a perfectly dark room and it was perfect.

Zidoo limited range and the OLED limited range.

xskip likes this.
  6. xskip

xskip Active Member

after 1,5 y. something went wrong with my display.
    LG replaced the display 3 weeks ago. After few tests, i saw banding issue on 5% gray test.
    like this: https://www.avforums.com/threads/new-lg-cx-major-uniformity-banding-issue.2325494/
    ppl recommend wait 2 mnths, play HDR 8 hours & do pixel refresh etc... did that, still few large spots with 5% gray test.
    No problem with spots or banding when normal watching movies.
    maybe a month from now all will be gone, maybe some. :)

Just weird when playing same stuff on appleTV4K no visble troubles, with z9x, in this clip or manu switching, when for a second or so, you can see dark background, i see banding.

7. xskip

xskip Active Member

Are you sure it's not a defective panel? no, new one. perfect with appleTv.
    again: OLED limited range??? care to explain? Thank you.

8. Oldpainless

I send ycbcr444 and set the LG OLED to low range.

So I stick to ybccr out low range on the Zidoo, and the TV low range.

Hope that makes sense.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2022
  9. Markswift2003

Limited range has nothing to do with the panel, and although you might assume you want "Full Range", you don't. It's how the video is encoded and displayed.

For TVs (in the 0-255 range) 16 is black and 235 is white for 8-bit video (64-940 for 10-bit in a 0-1024 range).

If you display at full range, you set black artificially low at 0 and so video black, which is 16, shows as grey (white will also be wrong, but that's less noticeable).

Setting everything on Auto should sort itself out but I prefer to set these values discretely.

xskip likes this.
  10. xskip

xskip Active Member

My setting is: TV black level low, Z9x non-4K yuv444 8bit, HDMI range 16-235.
    i changed everything a can change and try this clip. everytime no diference. allways the same. only hdmi range auto...was pure black, but everything was way to black. :)

on apple tv everything is fine. and 2 same HDMI cables.

old panel no problems, this new one, vertical banding visible in zidoo menu when switching from music to settings or apps..., (grey 5%)
    and this all black clip from start of the movie (overture). no problems during movie. super picture.

mybe factory reset of the player?

its not mayor trouble, i was just wondering why such differ. with apple and zidoo.
    but if you guys see this clip with zidoo in perfect black in pitch black room, there is something wrong with my settings.

thank you.

found "eh" solution: on my TV, settings, dynamic contrast, change from off to medium. :)

reference black 16.

expert bright: 16
    expert dark: 17
    Filmmaker mode with dynamic contrast medium: 19

or even better: DV VS10 for SDR and no problems. :)

Last edited: Mar 29, 2022
  11. Markswift2003

That's the reason I asked if the "black" background was a gradient as it looked like in the pictures you posted - classic sign of dynamic compensation of some sort - particularly with a small bright group of pixels against a dark background.

xskip likes this.
  12. xskip

xskip Active Member

strange, no problems with infuse on appleTv, and this with zidoo? eh...

13. Markswift2003

No idea - different HDMI input with different settings?

All I can tell you is that the Zidoo outputs levels correctly. There've been issues in the past with VS10, but with 8-bit 16-235 video where we don't have all the VS10 Dolby Vision shenanigans going on it's always been spot on from day 1.

xskip likes this.
  14. revetrad

revetrad New Member

I've found that Infuse on the Apple TV 4K crushes near black detail. Makes the elevated blacks in Cobra Kai season 3 appear as perfect black.

15. Are there any recommended settings for DVD playback? I have some 4:3 content that I'm having trouble with.

When I have my Z9X set to switch framerate and resolution, the DVD content is output at 1080i60, which results in cropping (looks like overscan).
    If I disable framerate and resolution switching, DVD content is output at 1080p60, but is stretched slightly (somewhere between 16:9 and 4:3). No cropping though.

Playing back the original disc in my blu-ray player outputs at 1080p60, but at the correct aspect ratio.

My TV is a 1080p TV - if that helps.

EDIT
    Partially resolved - seems my TV's overscan settings are resolution dependent, and I had to adjust when presented with a 1080i signal.
    Still not sure why the image looks stretched when compared with my blu-ray player

Last edited: Mar 30, 2022
  16. I'll follow up with a more general question about framerate matching:
    Currently, these are the outputs for a 720x480 DVD (30fps, or 30000/1001), and a 24fps 4k movie (tv is 1080p). They don't seem right ... At least for 4k content would have assumed it will match the framerate, but need to match frame + resolution to get 24p out

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 31, 2022
  17. Markswift2003

Not sure what's going on there - I just loaded a 1080p EDID and 4K23 movies play correctly at 2K23 and 4K24 movies play correctly at 2K24 when "Match Framerate Only" is selected.

18. Are there any trouble shooting steps I can try?
    Ultimately, I want to make sure that DVD content is played back at 1080p rather than 1080i - but don't want to have to go back and forth in the settings to adjust based on the content

19. Markswift2003

All I did was load a 1080p EDID (from a Pioneer Kuro) and set HDR to Auto, Resolution to Auto and set Frame Rate Only.

This presented the GUI at 1080p60 SDR as you'd expect and as I say, 4K23~24 is presented at 2K23~24 as expected.

20. I'll try loading a different EDID.
    The VS10 engine won't have any impact on resolution and frame-rate?