ZIDOO Z9X PRO - ExoPlayer is broken - Considering if I should return this device

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619BPD)' started by GrabbenD, Dec 28, 2023.

1. limitz

limitz Member

For remote Plex playback through the official app (not ZDMC/ZidooPlexMod), does DV content get handled similarly to the Shield Pro?

I understand it won't leverage the VS10 chip, and that's fine, but does it play DV at all via the Plex exoplayer?

2. Creator44

Creator44 Member

Don't expect an Android TV certification for the Z9X Pro ever IMHO.

I am a Plex user and, like you, I prefer using the official Plex App but I don't think the Z9X Pro will run the Plex app correctly and from what you describe in your own tests it seems you confirmed that.

With that said, I just tried the ZDMC + ZidooPlexMod + PlexToZidoo method and it's surprisingly good. You should at least give it a try. You don't get the full functionalities of the official Plex app (for example, if you click on an actor it will not show you his synopsis and will only show the movies in your own library that he is in and not the movies NOT in your library), but the important ones are there.

Here's the link in the forums if you want to try it:
    http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?threads/plex-client-for-zidoo-devices-zidooplexmod.97396/

3. limitz

limitz Member

One can dream, but a full-featured exoplayer (including DV) would be the ultimate streaming box as it can play both locally and remotely (via Plex).

The ZDMC + ZidooPlexMod + PlexToZidoo method is really good for local play. It for sure beats the Nvidia Shield. I'm enjoying the hell out of the better DV playback, and ability to handle FEL through the VS10 engine. However it can't handle remote play, which defeats half the purpose of Plex.

If they could get Exoplayer could play DV content, even without the VS10 engine, then the Z9X Pro would really be the ultimate streaming device. It solves the remote play problem and matches what the Shield Pro can do. I run a huge Plex server for family and friends. And while I use a Z9X Pro locally, I can't recommend it to anyone else. I'm stuck recommending the Shield Pro with it's red push issue and all because at least it can play DV remotely.

Get exoplayer working with DV/HDR on the Z9X Pro and it will be a industry killing device. No joke. People are literally still buying a 5yr old Shield Pro because there's still nothing else like it, especially when it comes to DV.

The Z9X Pro is such a capable piece of hardware with codec support out the wazoo. It's inability to bridge the exoplayer gap is hugely inhibiting since it's so weak as a remote player.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2024
    zksnark likes this.
  4. Azreil24

Azreil24 Member

It doesn't matter if it gets to play DV through Exoplayer, Zidoo boxes don't handle DV correctly even with their own native players, they can't do true TV-LED DV either. I bought the Z9X Pro for the same reasons, to have a player that can handle everything, correctly. I didn't want it improve the picture quality, but at least do untouched playback for DV from MKV. Sadly I found out it doesn't after I bought it and other's tests also confirmed what I was seeing. In short, it doesn't support CMV4.0, it can't process the DV L2 trim, it processes the DV metadata even in TV-LED mode, makes the image dimmer than it should be etc.

5. limitz

limitz Member

Still better than any other local streaming box out there at streaming remuxes. Shield Pro, Apple TV... all worse on dolby vision and don't look as good as the Z9X Pro. Feel free to point out a better player.

Sounds like you just need to use a disk player.

6. Azreil24

Azreil24 Member

I cannot confirm or deny on the other players, but just because others are bad, it doesn't make it right, especially when you pay for it. If you are OK with these issues, that doesn't mean we should all be.

7. xskip

xskip Active Member

;)

8. salora

salora Member

i tried both jellyfin and plex to end up with emby that works just flawlessly.
    I have 2 apps of it the android tv app set with external player for high quality 4 k movies, and the android app set up with emby player for tv shows i stream from a seedbox.
    Moreover it works great with the amzn fire tv and apple tv too so nothing to complain about