ZIDOO Z9X PRO - ExoPlayer is broken - Considering if I should return this device

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619BPD)' started by GrabbenD, Dec 28, 2023.

1. GrabbenD

GrabbenD New Member

Google Playservices firmware (v1.0.65_G) is still in beta and I've come to notice that most streaming apps like Netflix are missing in Playstore. There's people installing modified APKs to workaround this.

The biggest problem is that even if you manage to run it, ExoPlayer doesn't work nowhere with proprietary codecs which are required for highest bitrate. Neither Jellyfin nor Plex can DirectPlay HEVC/10bit. I managed to use Jellyfin with integrated VLC Player option but Dolby Vision isn't detected which means movies/series are completely green. The workaround is to use 3rd party PlexToZidoo which uses Zidoo Home Theater player but honestly I find this kind of setup too convoluted.

Some apps like Jellyfin have the ability to use a external player (if you're fine with losing watch status). This doesn't work since the system freezes when it shows you the app selection prompt. Another workaround is using a 3rd party fork of Jellyfin but the developer is inactive and it's severely behind with updates.

I'm considering if I should return my Zidoo Z9X Pro.
    This is my first experience with Zidoo and I fully understand you just started supporting Google Playservices which leads me to these questions:
    • Are you planning to fix ExoPlayer (meaning DirectPlay in Jellyfin n Plex)?
    • Will the device get Android TV Streaming Certification?
    • Is there a roadmap for when this will work, e.g. 2024Q1?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2023
    zksnark likes this.
  2. DennisTheMenace

DennisTheMenace Active Member

The device is made to use the zidoo inbuilt player and home theater 4 as a media center. And not a exoplayer or plex.

If you want that get a shield 2019. That's the device you are looking for

3. GrabbenD

GrabbenD New Member

Thanks for taking a look.

Unfortunately Nvidia Shield Pro (2019) is starting to show its age.
    There's missing codecs and hardware capabilities which Zidoo Z9X Pro offers!
    This is why there's a lot of users recommending it on various forums, for instance:
    • Better codecs support (VP9-2, AV1 (for HDR in Youtube), HDR10+, HDR HLG (for IPTV), BT.2020 & DV P7 FEL).
    • More hardware capabilities (Wi-Fi 6, Bluetooth 5.2, HDMI 2.1 (for 8k) & tonemapping).
    • Better HDR processing (yields improved graphics and no red tint with DV P7) thanks to VS10 chip.

Zidoo can easily be the new frontier for Android TV streaming if they fix ExoPlayer.
    ExoPlayer in Jellyfin, Emby & Plex is where the industry is at.

It's worth to note that Media3 ExoPlayer update is on the way but these apps are already prepared for it.

4. DennisTheMenace

Maybe the Ugoos Am8 is a device for you ?
    It has Av1 support, vp9 with hdr, dolby vision, a faster cpu....
    https://ugoos.com/ugoos-am8
    But it uses normal android and not android tv.

But when picture quality is your main focus and not plex, the zidoo device is the best.

Zidoo always had problems if you want to use other Apps then the inbuilt ones

Edit: It might be better if you contact support with your questions. Don't think a user can answer your questions about future updates

Last edited: Dec 28, 2023
  5. GrabbenD

GrabbenD New Member

After thoughtful consideration I've ordered a SOC S905X4 based device (Nokia 8010 , Homatics Box R 4K & Rocktek G2 uses the same hardware & firmware) since I need a working device today.
    I know, S905X4 is not perfect either. DTS and DV P7 aren't working but I'm fine with this for now.
    I'm still not sure if I should return Zidoo Z9X Pro since I'm in awe with the specifications.. Not so much with Zidoo Home Theater player though (since I've worked a long time on curating my Jellyfin setup).

I'd love to hear if Zidoo's staff can share any roadmaps, plans for ExoPlayer or what to expect within the upcoming months!

Last edited: Dec 29, 2023
  6. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

It's not a case of "fixing" ExoPlayer - ExoPlayer is a software player and not able to leverage the abilities of either the SOC or VS10.

If you want Direct Play in Jellyfin, use the Jellyfin Zidoo client:

https://github.com/Andy2244/jellyfin-androidtv-zidoo

If you want Direct Play in Plex, use the Zidoo Plex client:

http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?thr...yer-for-plex-using-native-zidoo-player.94714/

There are no plans for Android TV streaming certification - that's not what these players are designed for.

xskip likes this.
  7. zksnark

zksnark New Member

@DennisTheMenace @GrabbenD As stated above by GrabbenD, Z9X Pro offers all features which Shield Pro lacks, can I install Kodi Omega apk (from Kodi website) or Kodi Nexus from Playstore (not the Zidoo native Kodi) to watch 4K movies online in Dolby Vision with Dolby, DTS sound? Does Kodi need Exoplayer if it is broken?
    If not, is AM8 on par or better than Z9X Pro?

Last edited: Dec 29, 2023
  8. DennisTheMenace

I can't answer that, I only watch movies offline from usb or my home network.
    I only use the zidoo zdmc (kodi from zidoo) or Hometheater 4.
    If you want to use the official kodi, and watch movies online, the zidoo is not the right device, I would say

9. GrabbenD

GrabbenD New Member

Zidoo has its own Kodi fork, ZDMC. But it's also rarely updated. Like everything else..

I'm really disappointed to hear that ExoPlayer support isn't planned and that you're forced to use the proprietary Home Theater app or alternatively outdated versions of Jellyfin & Plex.

10. zksnark

zksnark New Member

Is it possible to install Kodi? If yes, will it run without Exoplayer?

11. GrabbenD

GrabbenD New Member

I think you'll get more answers to your questions if you make a new thread instead of hijacking this post.
    Can't help you since I've already packed the device.

I'm sending it back.

12. Sledgehamma

Sledgehamma Well-Known Member

If you have a Jellyfin server, just use the linked Jellyfin App for the Zidoo and enjoy.
    That is exactly what I do :)
    And if you need a streaming device, get the AppleTV. There is and there probably never will be a single device which can do it all.

blenky and xskip like this.
  13. Markswift2003

It seems a lot of people buy these boxes misunderstanding what they are and what they're capable of, expecting a Kodi box or a standard Android TV box when it patently isn't that at all.

14. DennisTheMenace

Yes for me the zidoo Boxes are the best way to play files locally (home network or usb). The shield is also great. But I prefer the picture quality of the zidoo.
    It's a great device, if you are willing to use Hometheater or zdmc. I can't say anything about jellyfish, I never used it.

If you want to look tv, or look files over bittorrent, get a kodi box like the ugoos

15. Markswift2003

To be honest Jellyfin isn't that great but it's better than Plex and all its bloated nonsense. It's nice to have a client server solution but the client is laggy even with small collections - at least HT4 only falls over after 500 or so and you can mitigate that to a certain extent with different poster sizes.

That said, I use it for 2K stuff (and Xmas movies at this time of year) so I can keep them separate from the 4K stuff in HT4. As long as you don't use the full poster wall it works fine.

DennisTheMenace likes this.
  16. zksnark

zksnark New Member

Can we install kodi addons (movies addons like Fen, Umbrella) on zdmc?

17. darky_zidoo

darky_zidoo Active Member

not sure if they all work..but you can

zksnark likes this.
  18. DennisTheMenace

Yes, it is exactly kodi, the only difference is, it uses the zidoo internal video player.

All addons I have installed are working

zksnark likes this.
  19. zksnark

zksnark New Member

Thanks for confirming that movies addons can be installed and work on zdmc.
    In terms of best picture quality and sound for movies, which one do you think is better between Z9X Pro and AM8 (or latest AM8 Pro)?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2024
  20. clueluzz

clueluzz Member

@GrabbenD in the playback settings, make sure you use External Player, and set the bitrate to the highest (last I checked was 120MB/s) not auto. Jellyfin should take advantage of Zidoo’s native player