Zidoo Z9x brick?

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Black-Angel28, Apr 3, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Black-Angel28

Black-Angel28 Member

Hello,

I had a power outage trying to update the firmware on my Z9x. Now the box no longer wakes up (red dot in the display) and when I try to reset the firmware to reinstall it only shows me "Up_ _" in the display.

What can I do to make everything work?

2. boxerfan

boxerfan Active Member

Last edited: Apr 3, 2022
  3. boolian

boolian Member

Just a note for the future, you should always use a battery backup on anything while you’re updating firmware

4. Black-Angel28

Black-Angel28 Member

I just did everything according to the instructions but it doesn't seem like anything is happening. Nothing is shown on the TV and the display still says "Up _ _". Even if you can't see anything, is there something going on in the background?

What does this "UP _ _" actually stand for?

I'll just leave it like that for a while, maybe something else will happen...

5. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

UP means waiting for UPdate to be started. You followed the instructions to the letter?

Keeping the PIN pressed till you see this UP and next release it. Should be some 3 seconds.

6. boxerfan

boxerfan Active Member

If you’re trying to install the recovery image

1. Place the .IMG file into root of thumb drive
    2. Place the thumb drive into the designated slot
    3. Power OFF device
    4. Use a toothpick and poke the hole, and hold it in
    5. Power ON device
    6. Wait for it to start imaging (like the picture in the guide)
    7. Release the toothpick
    8. Let the device re-image completely.

7. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

As everyone has said the first thing to try is the emergency reflash and follow the instructions absolutely to the letter.

https://www.zidoo.tv/Support/suppor...beq7k9e[ld]3ulg==/guide_faq/raXr0bxKWKM=.html

The two main mistakes people make is not to format the USB stick as FAT32 and to forget to rename the image file to install.img

Unfortunately, showing Up__ in the display is symptomatic of a missing or corrupt fwtable (like a partition table) so you may have to take a deeper dive:

https://jjm2473.github.io/nas/2021/03/01/rtd1619-unbrick.en.html

xskip likes this.
  8. Black-Angel28

Black-Angel28 Member

Thank you for the valuable Tips. Yes, I have followed the instructions completely, but unfortunately I have not had any success. I also think there is something more broken.

@Markswift2003 I found these instructions online and ordered a UART to USB adapter from Amazon. I'll try that then...

9. Black-Angel28

Black-Angel28 Member

A little feedback from me. With the help of the instructions I was able to repair the box.

Thank you for all the tips...

crutzulee, rozel and Markswift2003 like this.
  10. Markswift2003

Fantastic! That's great news.

11. DampfHenne

DampfHenne New Member

I have the same problem since yesterday. However, with z10 pro. I updated to the latest beta. Does that also work with my box?

12. DampfHenne

DampfHenne New Member

Can you help?

13. Markswift2003

14. DampfHenne

DampfHenne New Member

Yes I have tried everything.

15. Markswift2003

I'm afraid I don't know whether the unbrick procedure is the same for the Z10 Pro as the Z9X - I assume that the emmc memory locations are different...

What exactly happened? - I've never seen a box brick just using the standard OTA update procedure.

16. DampfHenne

DampfHenne New Member

I had an error and did a soft reset. I updated to the new version and had a brief power outage. Since then, the box no longer boots. Display stays dark.

17. Markswift2003

Any lights at all - front (red LED) or back (Ethernet lights)?

18. DampfHenne

DampfHenne New Member

Only Ethernet Light

19. Markswift2003

Damn - I was hoping it was the power supply.

20. redclothz1

redclothz1 New Member

Hello, need help with unbricking.

"ESC key in the terminal"..where is it located ? esc key =reset button?

and turn the target device on, until the terminal displays *** ESC Pressed *** ....on TV?

At this time, press the Enter key...keyboard or remote?