Z9X - SMB playback issues while streaming from NAS

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by matty2k, Dec 30, 2020.

1. Amerh

Amerh New Member

Reporting back on the UHD3000 replacing the Z1000 Pro due to movie freeze.

So far it's hard to tell if the issue is gone. Two different MKV files were freezing after a few minutes, but I never encountered a fatal freeze (when movie quits with error message "can not play video"). The freeze lasts a few seconds and the movie resumes. Might be a file issue.

Blu-ray BDMVs seem to be working fine so far, but will definitely need more time to confirm.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2023
  2. Edworld

Edworld Member

I understand.

My Vero 4k+ has a reboot as well as the Dune, it is something I would like to see on the Zidoo menu.

3. Amerh

Amerh New Member

Did you try the Power "app" in the apps menu? It offers both options of reboot and stand-by

rozel and Edworld like this.
  4. greenfish

greenfish New Member

I really hope they fix this issue. I did switch over from SMB to NFS, sure it's much smoother but the problem is still there, freezing, lag etc.

5. BdoUK

BdoUK New Member

I'm confident that I've now gotten my random stutter / freezing issues resolved and the ultimate culprit appears to have been some older hard drives I had in my Synology NAS. I recently replaced these drives as part of a storage expansion effort and since then I've not had even the hint of a freeze or stutter. That said I also changed numerous other settings during troubleshooting so it could have been the combination of changes that led to smoother performance.

What's weird is I never had the issues streaming from my NAS to other interfaces like Infuse but I'll take it. I'm really enjoying the Zidoo experience and having all my favorite movies right at my finger tips.

6. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

I am planning on buying a Synology NAS to pair with a Z9X and an Oppo - and hopefully not run into the playback issues like many people have with Synology NAS. Is there's I need to know before making the big plunge? Itll be a 5 bay NAS but with wifi connection, there's just wiring possible from computer room to media room unfortunately.

7. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

My 2 NASs are ReadyNas's - from what I understand similar to Synology ones but perhaps older. I connect via NFS and have never experienced an issue. But connecting via WiFi isn't for me - too many issues around this and other forums

B0RN likes this.
  8. Edworld

Edworld Member

Did you mount your NFS by rooting the zidoo?

9. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

Sorry, I am a networking newbie... I dont know what this means.

10. Edworld

Edworld Member

I don't know if it matters with a Zidoo if you mount by rooting the box.

On my vero 4k+ it does matter and is recommended because it increases transfer speeds and, in my case, eliminated freezes.

11. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

I recently mentioned in another thread that after moving my PC to another room and not being able to do ethernet anymore, my file transfer speeds to Z9X went to dog s**t over wifi. I am guessing I am experiencing the same issue here with playback and will try anything to speed up both - so how would one go about mounting the NFS? This most likely will be a temp. solution until I get a Synology NAS.

12. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

Why don't you look into WD NAS products. Nobody ever complained about WD NAS and Zidoo issues. This thread is already 22 pages long and most of is is around Synology issues. It appears that the simpler the devices (avoid managed switches and complex feature loaded servers) the less likely you run into any problems. Simple Raspberry Pi with USB drives = 0 issues.

13. khollister

khollister Member

QNAP NAS's seem to be relatively solid with the Zidoo (that's what I have). WiFi will work but you should use a 5GHz network for greater bandwidth.

14. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Active Member

or something better, use unRAID instead, works flawlessly.

15. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

From reading this forum number 1 reported issues with Zidoo is Synology and closely following by Windows PC as NAS.

WiFi is another issue all together. If you must, you probably better off buying used good high speed router. Disable DHCP, turn it around and use it as AP. They are cheap on used electronics websites. Place it as close to your other receiving device as possible (maybe Zidoo), scan surroundings for free channels and make a dedicated network just for Zidoo. Don't share it with other devices and don't connect phones to it.

B0RN likes this.
  16. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

This is solid advice about scanning less busy channels and putting Z9X on dedicated IP. I will do that asap and see if things improve with PC in the meantime. The biggest reason for considering the Synology products is they have SHR which will me match diff. size drives from my existing external drives and not break bank right off the bat when making the switch. PC NASs are not a serious option, they cost too much time which I am very short on nowadays.

17. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

RAID is overkill for media storage, but if anybody is loosing sleep over it then sure, give it a try after you get everything running first flawlessly.

18. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

Try dedicated WiFi on clean separate channels. Dedicated static IP is not going to change anything.
    This is a free program for PC that will list all WiFi channels around you.
    https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html
    Test it where your router and Zidoo is. To keep it clean you should set up new dedicated WiFi network with separate access point (or second router set up as AP).

B0RN likes this.
  19. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Active Member

it's not RAID...:)

https://unraid.net/

20. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

Will try it!