Z9X - SMB playback issues while streaming from NAS

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by matty2k, Dec 30, 2020.

1. BigPines

BigPines New Member

Mine has always been disabled so I wouldn't expect to see any HDCP entries in the log and I have not.

2. Ankit Bhargava

Ankit Bhargava New Member

Hello everyone, am new to Z9X and new to forum.
    I setup my Z9X today and connected my WD My home 4TB drive using SMB.

While I could see all files but I can't play any, I am getting error "file can't play".

When I try an external disk connected to USB, I can play files.

I updated to latest software available when "beta version" is allowed. Am on v6.4.42

Please help resolving this.

3. BigPines

BigPines New Member

I have not heard of that one before. You probably won't find the help you are looking for in this thread. This thread is to discuss working file shares from which streamed media stutters intermittently.

I would suggest you start a new thread specific to your problem. You are much more likely to get someone who has the ability to help you that way.

4. BoxerDogMan

BoxerDogMan New Member

Just wanted to give an update on my journey of stuttering playback on my two Synology NAS devices to my Zidoo Z9x player over ethernet and wifi. So I finally had time to setup a virtual server on my rackmount computer, setup a normal windows SMB share, copied a 4K HDR 10 movie over and browsed to that share via the Zidoo. I was able to play the movie in its full percentage without any issue or video stutter at all. Played the EXACT same movie from my Synology NAS and 20 min in a stutter for about 2 seconds then it started to play again. So, for now I'm going to just use my 5TB external drive and hook it up to the USB 3.0 input on the Zidoo device until the next firmware or something comes out that may resolve these stuttering issues.

5. BdoUK

BdoUK New Member

Hopefully our log files give Zidoo some insight to the issue. I honestly don’t think it’s the Synology as it can serve the same files up to AppleTV without issue.

6. BoxerDogMan

BoxerDogMan New Member

True I don't believe it's the fault of the Synology as well. I can install Jellyfin on my gaming computer and play movies off both Synology NAS without problem at all. I used to use Plex installed on the DS918+ and the client on my tv and never had an issue other than limited transcoding but never movie pausing. But something is happening, but I will be danged to know what the actual problem is.

7. Netmask

Netmask Well-Known Member

I’m the opposite, I’ve never been able to get NFS to work. No problems with SMB per se and never any stuttering on files. As per my signature QNAP NAS connected to switch and network. Zidoo connected to same switch.

rozel likes this.
  8. BigPines

BigPines New Member

I agree with others. This is not a problem with the Synology. I am not using a Synology and I am having the issue. The problem is likely an improperly sized cache as has been mentioned earlier in this thread. This should be a VERY easy thing to fix if Zidoo wants to.

vddan likes this.
  9. BigPines

BigPines New Member

I was thinking about doing the same thing. What version of OS was on your virtual machine? Any special settings you care to share?

10. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

As noted many many times, NFS is not the protocol to use with Zidoo or indeed at all - because of its simplistic payload it used to be useful back in the bad old days of high bitrate DVD with SMB1, 100base-T and older NICs. I think it kind of became enshrined in media player lore after that...

But not these days.

And I think I can honestly say that even since the very early betas before the hardware was released publicly, I've never seen a single problem that was down to network issue*.

* actually, not completely true - there was an issue with IPV6 WAN calls back in the early days that caused a glitch with certain routers and that took quite a lot of trouble shooting (I kept the Wireshark logs for posterity! Sad but true..), but it's a long time since that happened and it wasn't strictly caused by the network.

11. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Active Member

works great here on Unraid server, all connected with gigabit network over SMB.

12. BigPines

BigPines New Member

Glad it works for someone. There are so many variables with different servers, settings, network infrastructure gear & settings and media being watched. I understand why it is difficult to pinpoint what the issue is. There seems to be a wide range of implementations which work and a wide range which do not work. The cache seems like an obvious thing to look at.

BTW, I never heard a peep from Zidoo so as far as I know they are not even looking at the logs I sent them. :rolleyes:

13. Mateo

Mateo New Member

I’ve been following this thread. Switched from SMB to NFS. Tried to limit SMB to 2.0. Tried everything in this thread. No luck.

Im trying something new now and I’d like one of y’all to try too. But just don’t use Ethernet. Use WiFi. I’ve been trying for a while now and it’s been working for me. Makes me think it might be an Ethernet driver problem. But I did reset my server recently, so I didn’t eliminate all variables.

I’ll report back if this wasn’t a permanent fix.

14. greenfish

greenfish New Member

I also have the same problem, been using z9x for 2 months now. It only happens on movies with UHD/DV and with high bitrate. How come zidoo have not yet fixed this problem? The thread is from 2020?!?!?!?

I love this media player it's a god damn beast. But seriously this is a major issue for a LOT of customers

15. Petga

Petga Member

I have never had a problem with UHD3000 playing back movies via NFS from my Syonology NAS (hard disks formatted in ext4).
    At the beginning I also thought it didn't work because I could see the folders and files on the UHD3000 but I couldn't play anything.
    I almost despaired of this and edited the files again and again.
    Then I noticed that the unit was on all the time.
    Then I shut down the Zidoo and left it in standby for some time.
    Then I booted it up again, read in the network via "NFS" and since then playback via NFL has worked without problems.

16. Amerh

Amerh New Member

When you say standby, you mean just turning it off but keeping the on switch on the back in the on position? Meaning the red led light is still on. Or completely switching off from the back switch?
    I just received the UHD3000 as a replacement for the Z1000 Pro, hoping that the increase in RAM will solve this issue.
    Will report back

17. Petga

Petga Member

I just let the UHD3000 shut down without switching it off with the switch.
    To this day, I can't understand why it didn't work before to play the files when the unit was started. I had edited files and saved them on the NAS, switched to the main menu on the Zidoo with "esc" and read in NFS again. After that, the Zidoo had to re-read and play the files, but it didn't do that.
    Why this has worked since the restart is still a mystery to me.

18. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

A Restart can be your best friend at times. I've had issues which leave me very perplexed and undertaking a lot of headscratching. A simple Restart by switching off at the back of the unit, leave for 30 secs and switching back on again has solved issues for me. It is also worth stating again that when updating Firmware it is recommended that immediately after updating. undertake a Restart before playing with your Zidoo.

Hope this helps

19. Edworld

Edworld Member

Is this the only way to restart the box? It would beneficial if they added the option in the settings section

20. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

@Edworld - a Restart = a power off followed by a power on after a certain interval. The menu provides the option for "Standby".