Z9x Pro defaults to 1080p

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619BPD)' started by Duke Sweden, Mar 13, 2024.

1. Duke Sweden

Duke Sweden Member

Just got this thing. It's been a hell of an ordeal getting it set up. Quite a few minor problem like the remote not turning it off, etc. But my two big problems right now is the player defaults to 1080p even when playing 4K content, and there's quite a few stutters and audio dropouts.

In settings I used to have 4K default to check off but now I only get 1080p. After I updated the firmware I no longer have A-Z along the right side for searching by letter. But first things first, getting it to play 4K content.

I unhooked it from my setup (Emotiva MR1 into a Samsung Q80c 98" 4K tv) and connected it to my 8K for testing purposes and it works almost flawlessly there. Why is the 98" giving me problems?

Oh yeah, and what's up with the remote? The print is almost the same color as the buttons. I need a flashlight to see what's what. Seriously!?!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2024
  2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Ok - first thing is to check your EDID.

The Samsung certainly won't be causing any EDID issues, but the Emotiva might:

To Download EDID
    ================

Settings/Display/Custom EDID/Save EDID

Save to a USB stick or network location.

Change the file extension from .bin to .txt to upload to the forum

(The forum won't accept .bin files)

3. Duke Sweden

Duke Sweden Member

No because I have friends with the MR1 and they had no problem connecting and getting the Z9X Pro to work. I just factory reset the damn thing, and it still defaults to 1080p resolution.

4. Duke Sweden

Duke Sweden Member

Forget it, this thing is a piece of junk. Boxed it up and sending it back.

5. Markswift2003

You could try turning the backlight on.

6. Markswift2003

It's the EDID.

7. Markswift2003

Probably for the best.

xskip likes this.
  8. Duke Sweden

Duke Sweden Member

See attached

Attached Files:

• edid.txt
      File size:
      256 bytes
      Views:
  9. Duke Sweden

Duke Sweden Member

btw it no longer plays audio, I can't control my AVR when this thing is on, my AVR constantly defaults to ARC hdmi input, it just keeps getting worse. Amazon is sending me another one, I'll see what happens, but I don't have high hopes.

10. Markswift2003

Ok, so yes, it's the EDID squirting out of the Emotiva.

The first red flag is that opening it greets me with a box saying that VIC codes (which define resolutions) are out of range:

upload_2024-3-14_14-17-7.png

Probably means the Emotiva is having trouble combining the TV EDID with its own - I've seen issues like this in the more esoteric brands many times before.

It also only presents max HDMI 1.4 so it may be a setting in the Emotiva rather than an error but I don't know the equipment well enough to say for sure.

What I can tell you is that it's nothing to do with the Zidoo because it can only do what the EDID says and the EDID says it only supports:

upload_2024-3-14_14-22-28.png

The Emotiva has stripped out all the video modes (including HDR10, HDR10+, HDMI 2 etc) that the TV presumably supports.

11. Duke Sweden

Duke Sweden Member

Not to be argumentative but why does the Shield have no problem passing 4K?

12. Markswift2003

Really no idea - if that's the case have a look at the Emotiva settings - the only way the Shield would pass 4K is if the EDID advertised it.

What should happen is the EDID from the Samsung which will be SD, 2K, 4K HDR10 and HDR10+ in all frame rates but with limited audio, is combined with the EDID from the Emotiva which essentially should add its audio modes to the Samsung EDID which results in a "combined" EDID of the Samsung's video modes plus the Emotiva's audio modes.

It's not quite as simple as that, but that's the gist of it.

That isn't happening here but without being there it's very difficult to tell why.

One of the unique selling points of the Zidoo boxes is that in cases where the EDID gets screwed you can upload a custom EDID (in Display settings).

For example, if you use this EDID:

https://mega.nz/file/YDw0iA6I#rSAsqeJ1khmRX5QsfLrpeTriaIbhWH5faEyTanYQwg8

you should get all video modes plus all audio modes.

But really you shouldn't need to.

13. Duke Sweden

Duke Sweden Member

Is that just an example or can it really fix my problem? I downloaded it, awaiting your response.

14. Duke Sweden

Duke Sweden Member

OK, for some reason my HDMI inputs were switched to Standard, I switched them to Enhanced which should take care of the problem. Unfortunately when I load the Zidoo, when the home screen loads when I click on Settings the screen goes black.

15. Duke Sweden

Duke Sweden Member

I fixed it! It was the Emotiva had the HDMI outputs set to Standard. I changed them to Enhanced and now it works! The only thing is the screen going black when I click on Settings (or any other button). I have to switch the emotiva back to the Shield input, then back to the Zidoo. If I can fix this problem all will be well. Thanks for you help and for putting up with me. I know I've been a pain but I'm 69, a widower, with a mentally handicapped son, and my home theater is my only joy in life.

16. Markswift2003

Brilliant! Glad we're on the way...

Can't understand why the screen goes black though - pressing settings etc doesn't change video mode.

Obviously if resolution and/or frame rate and/or HDR mode changes (for example going from the GUI set to Rec.709 @ 60Hz to BT.2020 HDR10 content @ 23.976Hz) then HDMI will resync resulting in a blank screen for a few seconds.

Most displays take maybe 3-5s for an HDMI resync although some can be excruciating - my JVC projector for example takes nearly 15s to resync!

No pain, no gain ;)

(although I do prefer no pain...)

17. Duke Sweden

Duke Sweden Member

It doesn't go black for a few seconds, it just goes black, I have to switch the HDMI to the Shield, then back to the Zidoo, and then it works. Another minor thing, why is it so difficult to turn the Zidoo off? I'll press the power button, and I get a choice of 2 ways to power down, neither of which work. I either have to shut the switch on the back of the unit, or click on the Power app to turn it off. One other thing when I change the image on a poster it doesn't take, it still shows the poster I want to change on the poster wall.

18. Markswift2003

It's not :)

If you press and hold the power button that brings up the choice to either program the power button to be power off only or a choice of Power Off and Reboot.

Screenshot_20240314-170043.png

Select which you want (presumably just power off) and press return to go back.

The next time you momentarily press the power button it will power off. (Press and hold again and you get the choices menu again).

This is what happens if you've selected "Ask Me":

Screenshot_20240314-170240.png

19. Markswift2003

I think you have to exit the poster page and go back in to see the changes, but it does work.

20. Duke Sweden

Duke Sweden Member

ok. As for the power button, yeah I get that choice thing, next time I turn it off I'll try that. Not sure of what I had been doing. By return button you mean the one to the bottom left of the Enter button with the arrows, right? The bottom left arrow? Or the OK button in the round part?
    Believe it or not this all used to be second nature to me. I can feel my brain is slowly starting to deteriorate that I can't follow simple instructions anymore.