Z9X: HDR settings reverts to “Auto” after each power cycle

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by ungus, Jun 21, 2021.

1. ungus

ungus New Member

Using: Zidoo Z9X
    Firmware: 6.3.2

After each power cycle, the HDR setting reverts to “Auto”, and then have to manually set it back to LLDV each time. (Settings -> Display -> HDR)

Anyone encounter this before?

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Not quite sure what's happening there, but it has to be something to do with either your display or amp EDID.

What should happen is if the Zidoo powers up with an EDID present on the HDMI, it will boot into the last HDR mode.

If it boots up with no display present - eg HDMI unplugged - then it will boot up in Auto.

So in the pic below I booted from cold with no display connected and as you can see, HDMI is in Auto.

upload_2021-6-21_10-32-31.png

However, if I then connect a display (leaving the Zidoo switched on) with appropriate EDID, the HDR mode changes to the last set without any user intervention:

Screenshot_20210621-102936.png
    For whatever reason, your box doesn't seem to be doing this and it must be because the EDID isn't being presented properly.

Two ways I can think to get around this:

1. Switch on the display (and amp if applicable) first, then the box

2. Once you have the Z9X up and running on your display, go to EDID settings, save the TV's EDID and then load and use it with Custom EDID switched on.

3. JohnG

JohnG Member

I have a similar problem with Subtitles. Though I've changed global settings to Subtitles OFF, when I restart my Zidoo z9x the Subtitles appear again when I start any video. I must disable Subtitles for each video. The Global setting still shows Subtitles OFF.

4. Markswift2003

I've never noticed this before because I rarely use subtitles (I only rip forced subs if needed and discard the rest) but you're right - the Subtitle setting doesn't seem to have any effect anymore...

5. JohnG

JohnG Member

Like you, I rarely use subtitles. That's what makes this a frustrating problem. Every time I start a video, I'm reaching for the remote to disable the subtitles...and disrupting the viewing experience. Re: your 'sig'...is that a Large or Small glass of 16 year old single malt? :)

6. Markswift2003

Large. Always.

Admittedly I do like ice in it - but straight, no water.

Edworld and JohnG like this.
  7. JohnG

JohnG Member

8. ungus

ungus New Member

I had this problem initially, but haven't experienced it in a while, and global settings for Forced Subtitles is currently Auto. All my rips have a sub and forced, not sure o_O

What firmware version are you using?

edit: "Subtitles" to "Forced Subtitles"

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
  9. ungus

ungus New Member

#2 corrected it, thanks. Not sure what was causing it either. All video related conversion, upscaler, etc settings in the avr (Denon X6200W) are disabled.

10. JohnG

JohnG Member

I'm running the latest, 6.2.5 (I think that's the one I'm running).

11. Markswift2003

Brilliant! That EDID function is a really handy Get Out Of Jail Free card for a lot of things.

ungus likes this.
  12. ungus

ungus New Member

Indeed! Love the Z9X, combined with the Vertex², I'm on cloud nine. LLDV for all my content, looks great on both the screen and projector.

Btw, are you going to take the plunge and purchase the X8500H-A upgrade? I'm not, as it's mostly gaming related, and the theater is almost purely for media use.

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1622106779

13. Markswift2003

Ah - didn't realise you had a Vertex as well - so you can choose where the EDID lives then! Yes - must admit, I use LLDV full time on the projector too - looks great.

No, I'm not going to bother with the upgrade - no real point for me - I have an old JVC projector (which will be upgraded in the fullness of time) and I use the room for movies only with the occasional Netflix series - haven't played games for many many years!

14. Rickard

Rickard New Member

I have the same problem with a zidoo Z9X pro, i tried to save and load a custom EDID but no luck. My zidoo is connected to a yamaha rx-a4a aventage and then a epson TW7300 projector.

15. Markswift2003