z2000 Pro not recognizing HDD internally but will externally

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619BPD)' started by K. Matt, Mar 26, 2024.

1. K. Matt

K. Matt New Member

Hello @Nice Monkey and @3DBuff

I am having the same exact issue with my new Z2000 Pro I just purchased. It will not recognize the internal drive using a brand new (Seagate IronWof Pro 3.5 16 TB Internal Drive).
    It will recognize fine it, when I plug it in the front using the 2 available usb 2.o ports in front.
    I currently have it in a Sabrent USB 3.0 Sata hard drive docking station. It will not recognize it internally at all !

I initially formatted it using Windows 11. After reading several articles and threads on this site, I wiped it completely, and used Windows 10.
    I formatted it again and initialize the disk with GPT and File system: NTFS, same as before

Also, thanks to @3DBuff, I discovered the 15.98 mb Microsoft hidden partition using EaseUS application and removed that, thanks! I thought this was finally going to fix it but it still does not recognize the drive internally, so I reformatted it again and it still does not recognize internally.

I hear the hard drive spinning while in the player, but nothing will not recognize it

Model: Z2000 Pro
    Version v1.0.58 (try to do an online update and everything shows that it is current)

Not sure what else to try, unless the docking station is causing the issue, but it doesn’t appear to be the case if it recognizes it using the USB ports.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Don’t want to have to send this back.

Attached is a picture of when it is connected using the USB port, and when it is inserted into drive. I would like to use it internally as designed.

Look forward to anyone’s feedback! Really want this to work!

Attached Files:

2. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Formats via USB and Internal are not always identical. Be sure to format it using W10/W11 when SATA attached (not using a USB device).
    This due to the USB/ATA chip used with some housings. A good Docking Station is always compatible with Internal SATA formats.

3. K. Matt

K. Matt New Member

Thank you for the feed back! Since I am using a laptop, is it okay to use a Sata to USB cable to format the drive?

Will it only work using an internal SATA cable from inside a desktop?

Currently, I only have laptop computers and not any desktops. Have you heard of formatting a drive using a SATA to usb cable from a laptop, is that possible?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2024