Z10 PRO SMB to NAS stutters + menu navigation issues....

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by vale69, Jan 1, 2021.

1. vale69

vale69 New Member

Hi everyone,

is it just me or is anybody else experiencing serious stuttering/hanging issues while reproducing (heavy) files from NAS via SMB (NFS seems fine) ?
    Never ever had any issues with my previous Dune 4K, given that my LAN is Gigabit and NAS Synology well performing.

Furthermore the menu navigation is slow, difficult, stutters, hangs, fails....on 50% of my DVD/BD rips which - again - never happened with my Dune 4K.

Added a comment on the "List of penalizing BUGs" as well.

Thanks for any eventual hint/tip.

2. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

I'm still trying to establish why people prefer SMB over NFS

3. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

NFS is a very old protocol with a low network overhead so was preferred over SMB in the early days of HD streaming.

These days, SMB is more robust and better supported, and certainly these boxes perform better over SMB than NFS but much will depend on the age and performance of your network source.

Mabon likes this.
  4. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Thanks Mark. Trying to understand, so not contradicting what you say in any way. I've always experienced stuttering using SMB from the moment I got my first NAS. Never ever had an issue with NFS and get really good transfer rates, both read and write. People have told me that "Security" is why they prefer it but they never explain so I can understand what they mean exactly. I use Windows 10 and everything works perfectly. So it's an old Protocol - people with stuttering issues - have they tried to see if changing to NFS prevents this?

For me NFS is as solid as a rock and it would need a massive bombshell for me to change to SMB.

5. Markswift2003

If it works, then leave well alone. There's nothing wrong with NFS as a protocol at all it's just that the historical reasons we used to use it in preference to SMB for streaming are no longer valid - but to reiterate, do what works!

6. Peter Cheung

Peter Cheung Member

I like to say NFS is much more primitive, SAMBA is something to act , acting to comply with window enviornment because window dominated some market share.
    NFS sound better in CAS.
    I hate SAMBA for not supporting half character and it annoyed me once when I swift from NFS to SAMBA.

7. Markswift2003

Just to note - SAMBA is a server, SMB is the protocol.

rozel likes this.
  8. Peter Cheung

Peter Cheung Member

NFS is also server and much more low level .

9. Whitfield

Whitfield Active Member

I can imagine. Many years ago I started using NFS and never looked back, actually. Then, compared to SMB, it was faster and more stable.
    As stated, I do think Samba has developed further for the better. Same thing can be said about NFS. There'll always be fans and opponents to both NFS and SMB.

Every homenetwork is different. Os's, hard- & software, settings, flaws that may have sneeked in unnoticedly over time... you name it. And of course, user-experience also counts.
    Different networks can just behave differently, IMO. Other than some testing, it's been ages since my media were shared via Samba for a longer period of time. Chances are that if I try now, SMB will work just as fine. Better even. I think it's important to keep an open mind. For now, until there's a specific reason to, I will not sway over to SMB. I might add that I would not know how my older players would react on nowadays SMB.

All-n-all, for me it would be difficult to point out a solid, general reason for SMB over NFS preference. Or vice versa, for that matter.
    I'd say: Just use the one that works best in your situation.

rozel likes this.
  10. Peter Cheung

Peter Cheung Member

11. Markswift2003

NFS is a protocol.

rozel likes this.
  12. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Sensible and excellent answers - thank you. Pity people have to slag off NFS - saying it's "primitive" is an example, without giving any substance to what they mean and/or give examples as to why SMB is better.

I shall stay using NFS, which, for me, is very well tried and tested over many years.

13. Markswift2003

To be fair, "primitive" is a fair description, but that's not slagging it off - it's just a simple protocol.

14. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

@Markswift2003 Well without explanation(s) as to why, then "primitive" is downgrading NFS, simple or not, to people seeking answers as to why. Don't reply giving your undoubted and comprehensive reasoning, I shall ask, if I need to, in a dedicated thread. Cheers

15. Peter Cheung

Peter Cheung Member

Server is a machine, you can set your mac or even mac mini as a NFS Server or you can set your desktop computer as a server , both SMB and NFS are protocol ,
    I would like to say I USE Linux Server, Unix Server, Window Server, NFS Server, FTP Server or window server.
    Whatever a don't want a debate.

16. Peter Cheung

Peter Cheung Member

low level , primitive

17. Markswift2003

I'm being pedantic, but NFS itself isn't a server, it's a protocol used by a server in the same way SMB isn't a server but is a protocol used by, for example, SAMBA.

Mabon likes this.
  18. Peter Cheung

Peter Cheung Member

ok Ok please stop
    NFS is protocol
    NFS Server is Server
    ok?

19. Markswift2003

:)

20. Mabon

Mabon Active Member

It may be pedantic but it's also correct! As I pointed out yesterday on this page, we need to get our terminology right :)!

Markswift2003 likes this.