X20 dead hardware

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X20' started by TReneR, Apr 10, 2022.

1. TReneR

TReneR New Member

My X20 died during playback of a movie; the picture froze, unit stopped responding to controls. After cycling the power red LED comes on. After pressing the power button LED goes off but there is no reaction on the display nor on the screen (no HDMI signal). Device doesn't boot.
    Main power supply is OK (12V). Also tried to provide 12V from bench power supply - as expected no difference, I've checked the derived power supplies on the main board and all seem OK; 5V, 3.3V, 1.2V. No visual signs of any thermal damage.
    Were there similar failures reported before? Any pointers what else to check?

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Fingers crossed it's a software issue, although it's extremely unusual for it to happen mid flight so to speak.

The first thing I'd try is the emergency flash procedure.

For some reason Zidoo have killed all the emergency flash instructions and flash images from their website - I know they're working on a new FAQ section, so maybe it's to do with that.

However, @McBluna to the rescue!!

Links to the flash image here:

https://www.mcbluna.net/wp/zidoo-recovery-images/#x20

Follow these instructions:

1. Copy file to empty FAT32 USB stick. Do NOT unzip it.

2. Rename the file to
    "install.img"

3. Turn off player using switch on back

4. Plug USB into USB 3.0 Port (a blue one)

5. Press and hold reset button on back with something pointy while applying power

6. Wait for on screen confirmation before releasing reset button.

**Do not turn off during this procedure**

3. TReneR

TReneR New Member

Will try immediately - many thanks!

EDIT; didn't work :mad: Red LED stays on. No reaction on the display.
    Will try with different USB key still.
    EDIT; same with second USB dongle - no reaction :(

Last edited: Apr 10, 2022
  4. McBluna

McBluna Well-Known Member

5. Markswift2003

I've never seen an issue like this happen during normal viewing so I'm afraid this sounds terminal.

There is another rabbit hole you can go down to try and fix this, but given the circumstances I'm not convinced it will help... but it might..

https://jjm2473.github.io/nas/2020/08/26/rtd129x-unbrick.en.html

6. TReneR

TReneR New Member

It's worth trying if I get any response on the UART. There seems to be two internal UART headers - which one should I use?
    Have to check if I have any RS-232 on any on my computers.

7. Markswift2003

2 headers? are you sure? Can you take a pic...

You don't need RS232 - use one of these:

https://tinyurl.com/k8n7p6ju

8. TReneR

TReneR New Member

Looks like it should be no 1;
    upload_2022-4-11_9-36-51.png

9. TReneR

TReneR New Member

If I have any RS-232 on my PCs then it's much faster to use it rather then buying online and waiting for delivery. I could also try to reuse AVR programing dongle.

10. Markswift2003

Yes, I think it's #1

Later models are marked UART and Vcc is shown as 3.3v so you know it's the right one.

This is a TTL port, not an RS232 port - RS232 is a protocol and the voltages are much higher.

Only connect TX>RX, RX>TX, Gnd>Gnd.

DO NOT connect Vcc!!

For reference, this is a Z9X board with a UART connected:

UART.jpg

11. TReneR

TReneR New Member

Thanks for the warning. Will try in the evening.

12. TReneR

TReneR New Member

13. Markswift2003

In this case you will need to connect Vcc to power the Max3232 since, unlike USB, RS232 has no line power.

Vcc on the pin header on the board should provide 3.3v, but check with a meter.

14. TReneR

TReneR New Member

15. TReneR

TReneR New Member

:(
    The converter has arrived. All connected and I can see the pulses on TTL receive pin going into X20 CPU but there is nothing comming out. The TX line stays high on 3.3V (checked with a scope). VCC=3.3V appears on the connector after pressing the front panel power button. Before that there is ~1V present.
    Characters were send with Putty terminal and interface set to 9600, 8 data bits, 1 stop bit. Character was repeating every ~30ms (not very stable). I guess I could use another terminal on different speed but I lost my hope already...

16. Markswift2003

Sorry to say but I'm afraid if nothing is received on Rx that doesn't sound good...

17. TReneR

TReneR New Member

:(

PS for now I have switched to Minix NEO U9-H. I guess I should start looking for a new media player...

Last edited: Apr 15, 2022
  18. Markswift2003

Have you tried a baud rate of 115200 - just checked my PuTTY settings and I use 115200. I might be wrong but I seem to remember it would only connect at that speed...

19. TReneR

TReneR New Member

Will try this evening

20. TReneR

TReneR New Member

Did not work. I have tried several other speeds with identical result - no response.
    I think my adventure with Zidoo products has ended :-(