Why not Emby on Zidoo?

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by salora, May 28, 2023.

1. salora

salora Member

I'm starting that thread cause there is one about jellyfin , plex but not emby as far as I can say.

So as many i'm trying to find a good alternative to posterwall HT4.
    it's working quite fine for me but the look is not very appealing and trailers works when it want.

So I did try the jellyfin zidoo editon beta, it's quite good work, working nicely but it's abandonned. So i tried the official client, which is working but not as flawlessly.
    Plex2zidoo, i will not try because i do not like plex very much and I don't want to commit to another modified version that may at some point not being further developped .

So I did try Emby ( that I used before but not with Zidoo)
    Besides the setup of the server all I had to do was pick up the apk on emby website, install it on my UHD3000 and go to the playback settings of the app and tick the external player box and that's it.

And it just work out of the box. the UI is great, scrobble to trakt works, trailers works, the transition from Emby UI to the Zidoo native player is very smooth.
    It's free unless you need some more fancy stuff (though cinema intro only works with the emby internal player).

So for me it's a win for Emby.

gyrene2083 likes this.
  2. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Active Member

well if it was that easy...some stuff does not work when only using the Plex/Emby/Jellyfin app and choosing external video app, there is a reason to the modified Jellyfin and PlexToZidoo app, they have a purpose. :)

3. gyrene2083

gyrene2083 Member

I believe in this thread named :

Ziddo Z9x internal player used by emby client app

Nice-Monkey, a well-known member and beta tester, said that he read it doesn't work with external subs. I'm not sure if that is still the case. I, for one, have a Plex server and an Emby server. I'm also waiting for the 9pro so I'm curious how Emby works as well.

4. salora

salora Member

As far as i'm concerned a stock emby app works better than a stock plex or jellyfin.
    Transition from the app ui to zidoo player is very smooth. Trakt scrobble works.
    Resume don't work but i don't expect that with an external player anyway.
    External subs are not passed but you can always go into the player and add them.
    Even with the modified apps of jellyfin the external subs are not selected by default

gyrene2083 likes this.
  5. gyrene2083

gyrene2083 Member

Thanks for that info. I look forward to hear more about your experience with it.

6. salora

salora Member

To be more specific, with the jellyfin stock app external subs are not in the subs list you need to go to add a sub and navigate through folders.
    With the stock emby app the external subs are there in the zidoo player as with HT4 just not selected by default.

If you play a video and stop it in the middle for example, The zidoo player seem to pass the time stamp of the video because a resume point will appear in Emby.
    But if you hit resume the zidoo player it start from the beginning.
    However if you play another video it will start from the resume point of the first video weird

gyrene2083 likes this.
  7. gyrene2083

gyrene2083 Member

I want to say 98 percent of my videos have all their subs in the mkv files. That's the way I ripped them, however, I may have a few Anime ones that have external subs.

So with Jellyfin/Plex/Emby, you can't pause the video and start from that point you paused it at? Or are you saying that if I stop a movie/show, it won't pick up where I left off whenever I start it again?

8. salora

salora Member

No you can pause it, you're still in zidoo player.
    What you can't do is stop it and start from the point you'd stopped.
    That's the common behavior when you pass a video to an external player. I don't care i always go to the end of the episode or movie anyway

gyrene2083 likes this.
  9. gyrene2083

gyrene2083 Member

Thanks for explaining that to me. So in my use case, like yourself, I would either pause a video and resume or watch it to the end. I rarely ever just stop something I want to watch.

10. salora

salora Member

Regarding emby after a couple weeks of utilisation it might be as simple as that.
    No need for path substitution or Smb workarounds.
    The only things not working are ext subs but there is always a way to have internal subs if not already in the mkv.
    And resume points I don't use even with ht4.
    Anything else just work
    So if these 2 points are not essentials for one's usage. Emby can be the way to go

Mai and gyrene2083 like this.
  11. Mai

Mai New Member

Thank you for sharing the experience. I thought you wrote before external subtitle works you just need to load it from player? I’m a long time emby and zidoo user and it’s my dream that those two can play together. Most of my videos have external subtitles and I don’t mind the extra step to load it if possible.

12. salora

salora Member

Hi yes I wrote ext subs works if you load them.
    But they stay loaded in the video player unless you clear the cache manually (which i suppose HT4 does)
    So better saying it’s not working

13. Mai

Mai New Member

Thank you! I managed to do some tests and I found it always consider the video name “stream”, so it cannot really differentiate different subtitles. It also makes download subtitle function useless. For internal subtitle no problem at all. I think all we need is emby server to repack external subtitle as internal - it doesn’t require transcoding so should be really fast

14. salora

salora Member

That would make sense as emby is streaming the vidéo
    But for me when emby pass the vidéo to the player it display the real video name like when opened with ht4

15. Mai

Mai New Member

Hmm, how do you manage to get external player to display real video name? I couldn't find any option in Emby app to allow smb playback, via HTTP the video is always called stream and it sort of screw up everything like playback history, subtitle download etc.

16. gyrene2083

gyrene2083 Member

Waiting for some free time to setup my new Z9XPro. I saw that Plex2Zidoo is having an issue right now, I am curious if anyone has a new pro model working with Emby? Which apk did you grab from the Emby site? Thanks in advance for your help.

17. Caryuan

Caryuan New Member

Emby can't output Truehd7.1 audio track in Z9X Pro,Emby_for_Android_TV_2.0.83g,the beta version 2.0.87g have the same issue

gyrene2083 likes this.
  18. gyrene2083

gyrene2083 Member

Thanks for letting me know this. Probably will get around to setting up the Z9X Pro sometime this weekend.

19. salora

salora Member

Hi I did grab the latest official apk.

I do not have issues with dolby true HD as the video player is set to external and thus video are played with zidoo player

20. gyrene2083

gyrene2083 Member

So you got True HD 7.1 to work? I know you said you grabbed the latest apk, but there are so many to choose from, which did you exactly grab?
    Thanks.