What is this and what does it do?

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Drummerboy1962, Feb 24, 2022.

1. On my UHD3000 under "Movies" i have this poster Pictured called "The Setting Sun". When i go into "file Manager" it is listed under "System volume information" and then "WPSettings.Dat". Every time i delete this poster it comes back when i install any movie file onto my 10tb hard drive. How do i delete it for good as the poster does nothing. Cant play it or do anything with it as far as i know. Is it a free movie? as i know that it was not installed be me. IMGP2917.JPG IMGP2918.JPG

2. Netmask

Netmask Well-Known Member

Have a look for a movie or a file called Shayô (2009), it’s a Japanese film. Maybe HT mismatched it or something else.

3. Will check it out.

4. Na cant find that movie or file anywhere. The poster/movie that i am referring to is Called "The Setting Sun" which i have found and deleted but when i install copied movies and put them on my hard drive that movie "The Setting Sun" comes back again in the "System Volume Information" folder. I really don't have a clue what or why its there as you cant open it and play it. Hence the title heading "What is this and what does it do.

5. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

WPSsettings.dat is normally an automatic setting to match your WiFi forced by the Router/AP after pressing the WPS key on it. No need to type the password then as it is exchanged.

Maybe the key is kept pressed or the router has been hacked?

6. Netmask

Netmask Well-Known Member

Yes you are right the one I suggested was the same name but a different year - very strange

https://www.themoviedb.org/movie/162033-rakuy

The only other thing I can think of is the old VCD discs (videos on a CD) the movie title was a <movie title>.dat

7. I would love to know if anyone else has this on their machine and how it got on mine as the unit is only a few weeks old and i have not downloaded anything on it from a separate source as i think the root of it is on its internal drive. Is it an example of a poster or has it got some purpose. I find it strange that its installed on a brand new uhd3000.

8. Majoha

Majoha New Member

WPSettings.Dat is a file on the hard drive.
    I have 3 usb Seagate hard drives connected to my Z1000 pro and i als have 3 unmatched WPSettings.Dat files, 1 for every hard drive.

9. That’s interesting to know. So it comes on the hard drive when you buy it. Is that correct.

10. Nice Monkey

Maybe it is a different setting?

But HDD's should always be reset to be used with Android. Remove all partitions first including any hidden and next format a single new partition with GPT+NTFS.

Reason Android has a simplified partial only NTFS implementation not supporting many variables and features.

11. Na i checked everything out before formatting. It has been formatted to GPT+NTFS and there is no partitioning on the drive at all as all of the drive space is being available. No problems at all with the drive as i have done my homework right here and also Stereo net forums and AV forums before proceeding with anything related. Just need to find out what it is and why it is there would be great.

12. Nice Monkey

Drummerboy1962 likes this.
  13. I think i am now beginning to understand hard drives. But what confuses me is why that movie/poster "The Setting Sun" is even there. I am still trying to get my simple brain around it. Surely system protection has nothing to do with that poster. I mean it can't even be opened. What's it in the name of. So far i have gathered enough info to tell me where it is, what it looks like and what the "System Volume information" represents but cant figure out why that poster is there. Well i am a lot closer than i was before i posted here.:)

14. AngryVirginian

AngryVirginian Active Member

Click into the movie. Click on the more info button. What is the file name that The Setting Sun is matched to?

Also, you can do a long click on The Setting Sun poster and choose to unmatch the title.

15. Interesting thanks for this i will look into it now.

16. Ok this method is basically the same method that i described in my first post but just a different route. It deletes the file but it comes back again. What i did discover though which was interesting is that when i got to "Delete Original File" and clicked on it, a message appeared telling me that if the file comes back again then i would need "write" permissions to remove the file.

17. Yea but any serious hacker/spyware or whatever would not disguise it under a bright red movie poster that does nothing. Good god they would have to be pretty green in the game to do that.:) Gonna keep searchin

18. AngryVirginian

AngryVirginian Active Member

What I meant was this. The first choice in the second pic will put the file in the "Unmatched" category. The second choice will make HT forever ignore the file.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Thanks for the detailed post and I totally understand where you are coming from. However I would like to rid it of the drive completely and not so much shift it around. I really don’t even know why it’s there or the point of having it because to me as far as I can see, It does nothing as it won’t open or play. I am trying to find a reason why it is there. Simply not because it’s there but mainly I can’t do anything with it. I can remove it by deleting it in File Manager and keep the System volume folder off my hard drive providing I do not install another movie because if I do it comes back. Don’t get me wrong as I can live with that, but I would love to know why it’s there. Maybe I am getting too fussy. I will try your method again using them other two options. Thanks for explaining it to me with a detailed exact view. This is a first for me so please bare with me. The help here is fantastic.