Using My Zidoo with UAPP installed and TIDAL Integrated

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by rozel, Nov 6, 2021.

1. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Hi all I thought I'd throw out a few issues I'm having with UAPP (USB Audio Player Pro) for possible fixing. Over the past few months I've had wonderful experiences using UAPP with my Zidoo outputting the sound via USB to an external DAC. My thread on my experiences are detailed in another thread.

In a couple of weeks though I will be taking delivery of another external DAC, by and large, for comparison purposes. That said I'm curious about "MQA" and my new DAC will be capable of decoding and rendering MQA. I've read copious amounts of information online; indeed the ASR and UAPP (Head-Fi) forums have been very very interesting, informative and helpful to say the least. Please do not give me your opinions on MQA, I'm not interested in them, but in readiness for the new DAC, I yesterday tried using UAPP with TIDAL. I have aquired a 30-day free trial for their "HiFi Tier, which includes playback of their Masters and MQA titles. The issues I encountered were NOT associated with playback though but rather with the integration of TIDAL within UAPP (which has been fully updated) - they were: -

1. Login in - unbelievably difficult! I use a Bluetooth Mouse which works like a charm but during the typing of my credentials (email address & password), UAPP would crash randomly before the login details could be completed. I finally used Team Viewer to input the details from my Tablet and whilst UAPP crashed as I pressed "continue" - they were accepted and after a further restart of UAPP, I was logged in and up and running. What a carry on though! BTW I do not use the Zidoo controller as my Zidoo connects to the outside world via ethernet - WiFi is disabled
    2. After undertaking a couple of "tidal searches" I was unable to search again (subsequent searches just didn't work) until I restarted UAPP once more - not exactly sure what's happening
    3. I'm guessing that issue 2. is due to a memory problem. I tried "Cleaning" the UAPP app which I think clears it's cache as I had to login in again to TIDAL :eek: and fix a few of its settings as the app had reverted to its default settings. My question here is does "Cleaning" just relate to the app itself and not others? And is there a way to improve usage of UAPP on the Zidoo in any other way?
    Hopefully there are others who can share their experiences and/or provide some help for me. I know there's a TIDAL app and which "apparently" now works in "bit perfect mode" but it's really a non-app when compared with UAPP.

Thanks in anticipation

2. toshu

toshu Member

I have been using UAPP for a couple of months with my Z9X. Prior to that I used it w a Tanix TV box.
    I have had no problems signing in, that I recall. I have encountered instances where Tidal stops responding. Typically this is after playing a random number of songs. Rebooting is the only thing that helps. I have suspected that its a memory problem as well. Frustrating

3. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

It is very frustrating indeed, maybe because RAM is only 2GB in our models? - this has been mentioned before in different contexts though.

4. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

The only current Zidoo model with 4 GByte RAM is the UHD3000.

5. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Hey @Nice Monkey - I was hoping you'd chip in (pardon the pun hihi!) - yes I know that and I presume there's no way to expand the 2GB in the Z1000 Pro? Also will it be limited RAM that's causing my issues or something else? As far as internal storage is concerned I'm hardly using any

6. Nice Monkey

There are APP's that can display used/free RAM.

7. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

8. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

9. Nice Monkey

There can't be 2 captains on a ship hence just one who can edit.
    I have the habit to keep updating my original posts with improvements and corrections.

Will have a detailed read this evening. If it fits I could copy it as an additional chapter obviously with your permission and reference.
    Easier is just including a link so yours is found by the interested reader. I think I prefer doing that.

10. toshu

toshu Member

I guess my question is WHY would UAPP shut down with 2 GB of memory? Does it put the songs that have been played already and keep them in RAM?? BTW, I have seen this happen not only with Tidal but with my own digital files played through UAPP??

11. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Good questions @toshu - taking up @Nice Monkey 's advice I installed a memory app - it reveals that I'm using 60% of Ram before opening anything! I'm in a session right now as I type this - it's not crashed as yet but before I can use UAPP's search function, I need to exit the programme and reopen it. But I've noticed that it tends to "stall" without stopping the music playing asking me do I want to close the app or wait - I simply cancel the dialogue and carry on.

Something isn't right though. I'll raise it on a UAPP forum I'm on and report back.

12. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Thanks, I thought that would be the best course of action - I'll do what you suggest

13. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

14. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

I can merge threads but I really don't want to risk mixing it up in @Nice Monkey 's thread given how big it is.

I think the best bet is to go with @Nice Monkey 's suggestion and then I'll close this thread.

Let me know if that works.