UHD3000: Windows 11 doesnt find Zidoo

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Netmask, Jul 23, 2023.

1. Netmask

Netmask Well-Known Member

@Markswift2003 Just finished assembling my little Windows 11 Pro PC, basically a NUC. Works well and finds all my network devices except my Zidoo. Well this was the case until out of desperation I enabled SMB1 in the control panel. Then Zidoo appeared. Now this shouldn't happen as I understand but I'm pragmatic!!!

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

No it shouldn't!

But Windows is an arse with network devices at the best of times - try disabling SMB1 again and access the Zidoo by its IP address - open a file window and type \\IP_ADDRESS

I always access network devices directly rather than rely on Windows to find stuff that's right in front of its nose...

eg. \\192.168.0.150

Netmask likes this.
  3. Netmask

Will give it a go. I must admit win7 is like a comfy pair of slippers but Win 11 has some interesting improvements and the new computer is very fast and responsive. Basically a NUC, so quite a small footprint.

4. Bill-Z9X

Bill-Z9X Active Member

A tip: Just adjust under Samba settings in Zidoo the device name, simple and understandable, eg: Z or Zidoo, UHD3000 or similar. Then you do not need to remember the IP address, just type in Windows Explorer \\DeviceName
    The DNS service in your router already finds the correct IP address

Netmask likes this.
  5. Markswift2003

DNS is used to resolve internet domain names into IP addresses.

On a LAN, network names (NetBIOS names) are resolved by Windows - usually it works, but again, it's Windows... you can't beat an IP address.

6. Bill-Z9X

Bill-Z9X Active Member

There is also DNS for local IP addresses

no, I can do without it:

upload_2023-7-25_18-6-47.png

upload_2023-7-25_18-5-25.png

upload_2023-7-25_18-3-18.png

upload_2023-7-25_18-12-28.png

upload_2023-7-25_18-12-54.png

7. Markswift2003

DNS is used for domain name resolution - the clue's in the name. It doesn't resolve NetBios names to local IP addresses.

8. Netmask

Well I turned off SMB1 and immediately Zidoo disappeared under Network. I then typed in the IP address for my Zidoo \\192.168.1.218 and I had a share, so I have access, However no Zidoo icon under Network. The share remains stable after a PC power off or reboot. So I can transfer files either way ok. Interesting when the V2 Beyonwiz was released you had to have SMB1 turned on for it to be accessible however the second last firmware fixed that. Good thing as the company has gone under, a victim of COVID etc.

9. Netmask

Thanks but I have no problem remembering IP addresses! I do forget why I walked into the kitchen sometimes! As I mentioned in a reply to Mark Swift, all working now, turned off SMB1, so a better security outcome but no Zidoo icon under the Network window. Established a share via the IP address and works transferring files either way. Maybe it’s something in my R7000 Netgear router?

10. Markswift2003

I doubt it's the router - it has very little to do with the LAN (other than DHCP) and certainly doesn't get involved in local network discovery. You can quite happily run a LAN without a router as long as you have static IP addresses on the same subnet. A router's main job is to manage packets between different networks - eg WAN and LAN.

More than likely it's the vagaries of Windows at play - if I go into Network on my PC it shows me 60 devices and a load of those are inexplicably duplicates! I have around 120 clients connected at the moment.

Windows is a bit thick when it comes to networking - you have to spoon feed it sometimes, which is why I generally use IP addresses.

11. Netmask

This is only on Win11, my Win7 machine all my devices some duplicated. Win11 PC showed everything including the Zidoo as long as I had ticked SMB1.

12. Markswift2003

It'll be a Windows 11 "feature" :)

13. Netmask

Ah yes good ole Microsoft. It would be interesting if other Win 11 users have the same problem.

14. Markswift2003

Can't comment - I stuck with Windows 7 because it's the only one that bloody works*

* possibly not strictly true, but I know what I like and I like what I know ;)

15. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

That totally cracked me up! I'm remembering such complex stuff but not the simplest of things like when I left my phone on the adjacent chair in the pub, taking my empty glasses to the bar and walking out - in Corfu trying to chill, maybe too much lol!