Trying to install version G firmware...

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Kursun, May 29, 2021.

1. coyote2

coyote2 Member

I'd like to upgrade my UHD3000 from 6.4.06 to the latest G version. I see links upthread to earlier G versions for different Zidoo devices. Assuming I can get the latest G version for the UHD3000, would I need to continue to find (if so where?) subsequent updates and apply them via USB, or once on a G does the unit's Update tab get new G's for one?

Oh, and when new f/w comes out, is the only way users know that to go to the Update tab? Or does the OS provide some kind of notification of available updates?

2. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Once on G then pushed OTA updates will be with G implicitly.

Only some updates regarded stable by Zidoo will be pushed via OTA and show up automatically. Interim updates for Z9X only are never pushed.

3. Netmask

Netmask Well-Known Member

It came up on the update tab for me but then I had the previous G version so maybe it checks? Anyway McBluna.net generally has most of the firmware updates

https://www.mcbluna.net/wp?goto=Ii0...H5aaiE1BnprfVdDXFVwYVV-KR4jGBkiG1ARBg8VYCAQBA

4. coyote2

coyote2 Member

I thought someone might like to know an update worked perfectly even though I used a short USB extension cord (because the rear USB ports aren't easily accessible enough here).

I first Backed up, and Exported NFO data. Then I upgraded to 6.4.06 G. It's a nice touch that the OS unzips the file itself.

I figure that using a USB extension cord introduces some risk, but it was a nice rather new one and to me being saved inconvenience was worth it.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2022
  5. Netmask

Netmask Well-Known Member

I use one of these on both rear USB ports - no problems ......... so far!

Attached Files:

6. coyote2

coyote2 Member

Perhaps there is minimal risk; since the copy operation is separate from the Update operation, I think we can hope that the UHD3000's copy process fails when imperfect.

7. Nice Monkey

Update is just a zip file run from any storage. No need to use USB you may use a HDD inside UHD3000 or even the Flash Storage of the box itself. Never tried NAS but I think it should work as it is simply copied to the players flash and next installed from there.
    Mostly use SMB to transfer the file to my Zidoo's and run the update next from HDD (or flash).

coyote2 likes this.
  8. coyote2

coyote2 Member

Good to know! Is there (I'm guessing not) a way to skip the "Copy" operation that precedes the update operation (in other words, does it copy to a folder in storage:// that I can myself copy to [I'd probably choose via SMB]? I ask simply because I run my own copy operations with 'verification', and I don't know whether the box's OS does.

9. Nice Monkey

It always reads the zip from whatever location, does a checksum and next copies it to internal reserved flash. You in fact can already remove the source now. Next a boot follows and the update in flash is installed.

coyote2 likes this.
  10. coyote2

coyote2 Member

Thanks, I think I'll start having the box read the ZIP file from a HDD (an internal one, or maybe one over SMB). USB drives are less convenient.

11. Nice Monkey

That is what I do mostly.

coyote2 likes this.
  12. fnhanks

fnhanks Member

Is there any advantage to the G firmware if you don’t plan on installing other apps? Any perf differences?

13. Temearoo

Temearoo Active Member

No.

coyote2 likes this.
  14. coyote2

coyote2 Member

I'm guessing that's correct given that in studying related threads, I've seen some people say G is faster and other people say G is slower.

Given that I have better streaming device options, the only reason I really am glad I installed G was so that I could have a Speed Test in case I every have troubleshooting to do. Some apps really seem to suck on my Zidoo (I'm looking at you, YouTube). The Plex app seems pretty good.

15. Ercan

Ercan New Member

Hello friends. I have Z10 device. There is no play store disney+.
    I downloaded it as an apk but I can't play it. Error code disney+39 appears.
    I will be grateful if you could help me

16. McBluna

McBluna Well-Known Member

Disney+ like most other streaming services doesn't work on Zidoo Player because of DRM stuff.

17. MetalGear

MetalGear New Member

Do I need to install the G firmware to be able to install APK's? I cant install VLC APK on the normal firmware.

18. Nice Monkey

Which version are you trying to install?
    A copy of my story about using APP's on media players. Zidoo is running Android Leanback.

Appendix B: About Android OS versions and their peculiarities:

This is highly relevant to understand the differences and problems encountered when installing APP's via either the Google Play Store or directly running installation APK's.

Many customers think there is only one Android existing and used universally for everything. As a consequence they expect all Android APP's to run on any platform which they for sure won't.

Android OS versions
    There are 3 different Android versions playing a role here. Knowing with which version one is dealing is far from trivial.

Android (standard Android)
    It is just called Android running on Smartphones and Tablets
    This is the most used Android OS version and referred to by me as "standard Android". It is never used as-is on media players but expected it is often.

The appearance changes with each OS generation slightly adding new features but appearance will vary mostly due to manufacturers/brands mostly using their own overlay on top of it.

Android TV
    This is labeled as such and indicated on selected platforms with the "Powered by Android" logo. Only that version is really designed by Google directly for big screens. Android TV or (ATV) must be licensed to be used and may not be altered or customized on a platform to get certified by Google. This warrants stability and compatibility in a high degree.
    Using the Google Play Store one will get to see and next get access only to applications specifically designed for Android TV. Some applications exist in both standard Android and Android TV versions to run optimized on mentioned different platforms. Above all APPs for streaming video services are mostly made available in both versions which aren't interchangeable.

ATV comes with its own integral application Launcher/GUI which is really nice and easy to be recognized. Specifically the Launcher/Menu coming with ATV8 and above OS versions is very easy to recognize. it can also be controlled by voice command with remotes including a microphone.

Android Leanback
    But omitting Leanback to be mentioned anywhere causing a big confusing for users and applications to be the standard Android OS version.

This is a modified/patched standard Android kernel for Media Players. It is e.g. patched to be controlled by IR remotes, have HDD's attached via SATA or USB and use the Wired Ethernet. Also the screen aspect ratio is typically forced to use Landscape instead of configurable/automatic Portrait plus Landscape on standard Android.
    Manufacturers using modified Leanback seem to be free to use the Android core without licences (remember that is originally a mere linux kernel).

The Android application menu will vary completely with each implementation and may include various options to customize it or not.

Android OS peculiarities
    Almost all media players use Android Leanback but some come with Android TV. Using this Leanback Android OS stupid/strange things can happen: Dynamic contrast option for phones, getting settings for battery saving, Notification Bar peculiarities, GPS being expected, APP's insisting to use WiFi as they think a Wired is a Mobile Network, inconvenient keyboard pop-ups, problems with access to Google Application Services and/or the Google Play Store, SDHC optional Internal Storage formatting, limited/bad HDMI-CEC implementation etc etc. IR remote controls often work only partially with installed APP's which often can be improved adding a real pointer-mouse via RF or BT operation to simulate touch screen operations including swiping required by the APP's.

Using different brand media players one will see that the Leanback modification/patching is different with each implementation with varying results for what works or doesn't. Occasionally additional Custom Patching (facilitated by knowledgeable customers) improves standard Android compatibility for certain aspects.

The Android Leanback OS implementation typically comes with the SDK (Software Development Kit) of the SOC providers (AMlogic, Realtek, HiSilicon etc) not from the media player manufacturer. The Android OS upgrade policy hence also comes from the SOC manufacturer! Realtek thus far never upgraded their Leanback OS versions on any of their SOC's once being released (RTD1195=A4, RTD1295=A6, RTD1296=A7, RTD1395=A7, RTD1619=A9). An exception is Hisillicon which moved from A5 to A7 for e.g. Himedia and Egreat media players. It is not media player brand or any other SOC implementer deciding that! For integrated media player FW the Android OS version and generation hardly matters but for App's added manually it for sure makes a big difference.

19. McBluna

McBluna Well-Known Member

Why can't you install VLC?

20. MetalGear

MetalGear New Member

When I install it nothing happens, cant find the app on Zidoo Z9X