Subtitles from MKV files not displaying

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X7' started by Ed J., Aug 4, 2017.

1. Ed J.

Ed J. New Member

Hi, I received my Zidoo X7 two days ago. Image and sound wise, the different files I tested played fined and I am satisifed by the AV quality.
    Unfortunately, the handling of the subtitles was quite disapointing : for the most files I tested, MKV files with styled subtitles (.ass) inside them, the player is not displaying the subtitles at all, like it is unable to detect and open them. The subtitles option is always "OFF", I can't change it. Even when the player, for some reason, displayed the subtitles from a specific file then the option was still stuck to OFF and the subtitles were displayed in a very clear transparent white that makes them barely readable.
    Since I purchased the player mainly to watch subtitled MKV files, that poor handling of the subtitles out of the box is a big let down. I saw on Youtbe videos where the subtitles (.ass) seemed to be handle fine by the other Zidoo products...
    If you need specific informations I would gladly provide them to you (as well as MediaInfo reports of the MKV files used for testing).
    Thank you for your help and reaction on the matter.

2. bob

bob Active Member Zidoo TECH Supporter

Can you share your mkv video file to me?

thanks

3. Ed J.

Ed J. New Member

Hi Bob, thank you for your interest. I don't have the kind of upload speed necesary to share the files directly with you, though I can give you links on where to get them if you wish. I can send you the reports from MediaInfo for each mkv files also. I tested with lots of mkv files of different origins, in each case the subtitles of those files are played fine by other media players I own, no problems as well with MPC-HC/VLC etc : the subtitles are fine on all the tested files. The default media player of the X7 though is just unable of handling them as of now. I hope an update will fix this. If you think the problem comes from my device please tell me so I can return it quick. Can you try on your side to play a mkv file that includes styled subtitles (".ass" format/type) ? In a few instance I had a text diplaying but the font was default (unstyled) and of clear white color barely readable, making them kind of useless.

4. bob

bob Active Member Zidoo TECH Supporter

Is there a built-in subtitle or an extra subtitle? If it's an extra subtitle, please send me a subtitle file and I'll test it.
    Thanks

5. Ed J.

Ed J. New Member

I am refering to builtin subtitles (styled subtitles with fonts attached inside the mkv, .ass).

6. Ed J.

Ed J. New Member

Hi,
    Any plans to implement the compatibility for styled subtitles (.ass) contained in MKV for the MediaCenter app ? The handling of the subtitles is still broken after latest firmware update.
    I have tried to play my files with ZDMC and MX Player and the subtitles were displaying fine for your information.
    Thanks again.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017