Squeezeplay bug

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A8' started by multisport4me, Jan 3, 2024.

1. multisport4me

multisport4me Member

I believe there is a Squeezebox bug in the latest beta. I've had to reboot my A8 to get it to advertise itself as a Squeezebox player to Roon. Using the software power-down is not enough - at some point Roon loses sight of it as a Squeezebox endpoint. @mirror, can your guys replicate this issue and is a fix forthcoming? Also, can you please tell us if there will be support for album cover art with Squeezebox? Or is Roon not acting like an LMS that can handle cover art?

(not sure why I keep calling it Squeezeplay... I meant Squeezebox)

Last edited: Jan 3, 2024
  2. mirror

mirror Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Zidoo TECH Supporter

After A8 starts, it will try to connect to the LMS once. If the LMS does not exist at this time, it will not keep trying later. So you need to open the Roon server first, and then open the A8

3. multisport4me

multisport4me Member

My Roon Rock is always running. Are you saying I have to also launch the Roon app on my PC before turning on the A8?

4. mirror

I think we have found a problem. Roon does not respond to the LMS Control protocol and will cause continuous disconnection and reconnection.
    A8 obtain cover and media information through LMS control protocols

5. multisport4me

multisport4me Member

So I'm not entirely crazy. Thanks for confirming.

While it would be great if Roon fixes this, I'm far more interested in them completing the A8 Roon Ready certification as this is the ultimate remedy. I'm only using the Squeezebox feature because they haven't gotten this done.

I guess I'll take whichever comes first. :)

6. mirror

This is not a problem with Roon side, as Roon has its own console. It is usually possible to obtain information through streams, but because the LMS protocol is not fully open source, we did not find a suitable method. So it is obtained through the control protocol. With a standard LMS server, there won't be any problems.

7. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Might be worth emailing this guy - Michael Herger - he used to work for Logitech and was involved in LMS before it was even Squeezebox server, in the old Slimp3/Slim Server days - what he doesn't know about LMS isn't worth knowing:

michael@herger.net

multisport4me likes this.
  8. multisport4me

multisport4me Member

Maybe that Michael Herger guy can help with the album art stuff.

Back to the disappearing of the A8 and need to reboot unit for Roon to see it. Is that an issue on Eversolo side or Roon side? Can I expect that the only solution is to reboot the A8 each time I want to use it as a Squeezebox player? Again, I have Roon Rock running 24x7. Wouldn't this mean there is something wrong on the A8 side?

9. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

Could be many things, including power-saving / router lease time / bug in the software. And the A8 is not Roon Ready yet... and maybe this already a known issue and is currently being addressed for that cause?
    I would definitely not call it a Roon issue. Or, twisting on the conspiracy side... maybe Roon refuses to see it after a certain period of time just because it is not yet certified...? (but this cannot be called issue...)

10. multisport4me

multisport4me Member

Dunno. Here's hoping for Roon Ready cert sooner than later. Then this thread is moot for most. Although, I do think it's cool Eversolo added Squeezebox support.

Nutul likes this.
  11. rava

rava New Member

squeeze connect no alhum cover
    with lms 8.4.0

Attached Files:

12. JoseDLC

JoseDLC New Member

At first I restarted it but there is no need, from the eversolo screen (or using the cast) in streaming you will see at the end the option to squeeze and you can reconnect. greetings