Squeeze Connect

Discussion in 'Eversolo' started by The Moog, Jan 8, 2024.

1. The Moog

The Moog Member

As a long-time user of Logitech Media Server (LMS), the inclusion of Squeeze Connect in the latest firmware on the DMP-A6 was enough to make me order one, with the hope of replacing a Squeezebox Touch that has been undertaking streaming duties in my main setup for ~15 years now.

The hardware is lovely, and selecting Squeeze Connect from the streaming options immediately found my piCorePlayer LMS server and was able to connect to it. I could then use 'Squeezer' (a great free Android app to control LMS) to do all of the things that it can do with a native Squeezebox. All good so far and for me this works perfectly well, but my kids also use the various Squeezeboxes around the house and need to be able to navigate them without a phone and just using the front touchscreen and I can't seem to figure out how to do this easily.

I can get Squeeze Connect started on the A6 just by playing something from Squeezer, but I can't see how to start it from the A6, install it as an app, or create a shortcut to it. Once it has started started, I can't figure out how to browse my LMS library on the A6 either. Squeezer works great to do this on my phone but I need a phoneless way of doing this, much like on the Squeezebox Touch that this will hopefully replace.

Any help would be much appreciated!

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

There isn't a native Squeezelite interface on the box, but I've asked if they've any plans to add this - I agree, it's kind of important - I'd overlooked it until now since I always use iPeng or my Crestron system to control squeezeboxes - I rarely use the front panel with the exception of a couple of Booms I have.

In the meantime, Squeezer works fine - just download the apk, copy to a network location (USB stick) and run it via "Files"

https://squeezer.en.uptodown.com/android/post-download/107070663

(You obviously need to select the A6 as a player)

3. The Moog

The Moog Member

Cool! I really like the Squeeze Connect player screens on the A6; they look really great and have all the info I would want from them, and it would be nice to have this extended out to being able to browse the LMS library.

I too rarely use the touchscreen to control each of my Squeezebox players as I just use Squeezer on my phone/tablet, but for the rest of the family having an easily navigable touch interface to find and play music is pretty critical to their broader household acceptance!

Ah, so are you saying that I can just install Squeezer onto the A6?

4. Markswift2003

Yep - I just tried it and it works - probably not as elegant as a native interface, but it works.

The Moog likes this.
  5. The Moog

The Moog Member

Thanks for that, a useful intermediate solution! Be great to have a full native solution at some point.

Nutul likes this.
  6. Amnesiac

Amnesiac New Member

Hi - this doesn't work for me

I have v1.11.90 of the EverSolo phone app that I downloaded yesterday direct from EverSolo (not using the Android store).

It doesn't have a Squeeze Connect option on the orange coloured "Streaming" button,

On the DMP-A6, showing as v1.2.30 there is a Squeeze Connect option under the turquoise coloured "Streaming" button.
    I select that and get some screenshots of some phone app! Nothing else.

I can't see the DMP-A6 from the Settings on my Slimserver (LMS v8.3.0) nor from any of the other slimserver devices on the same network and subnet as both the A6 and the Slimserver.

I can see the DMP-A6 on the network with network tools and I can ping it and I did a quick port scan to see what ports were open on both the A6 & a Touch; but I've not gone back to the LMS documentation to see what's needed and how it might/ought to respond.

Is there something clever I need to do to make them see each other? Do I need to use a different version of the phone app to make them connect?

Thanks.

[Edit to add information & correct some spellings]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2024
  7. Markswift2003

A6 v1.2.32 is the earliest version with Squeezelite. That was a pre-release alpha - not sure what the first release version was, but you should update to the latest.

Nutul likes this.
  8. Amnesiac

Amnesiac New Member

Thank you... I updated to what I thought was the latest when I got the device. I see there's a beta 1.2.40 so I'll go try that. Thanks again!

9. Amnesiac

Amnesiac New Member

Found and put 1.2.44ß on and it worked great. Useful to have when syncing and playing music that way, and while the native music player is better for day to day use I'd say it's the versatility and ability to connect to the LMS server if I want to that is great. A Squeezelite/Jive interface rather than the LMS web view would be the icing on the cake but I'm still loving the cake!

[Edit @Markswift2003 I just read your sig file set up & if you like Islays can I suggest you upgrade one key component of your system to a 30yr Laphroaig which will improve your listening pleasure!]

10. Markswift2003

I don't think I've tried a 30 year old Laphroaig - 12yo certainly, but not 30 - have to try that.

Must admit I'm quite taken by Welsh & Japanese at the moment.

LMS is a game changer for me and the A6 - my flac library is over 120,000 tracks and the native library doesn't even begin to cope with it even though it's all correctly tagged, so I'd given up on it for serious listening other than my limited DSD collection.

Of course, to LMS, That size of library is a breeze.

Fergus and Nutul like this.
  11. Amnesiac

Amnesiac New Member

Ahh my rips only amount to about 20k tracks which the DMP-A6 handles pretty well. It picked up the tagging - I also have .nfo files for tagging (historical reasons) so I don't know if that's helped the DMP-A6 or not. The lack of a decent desktop interface to it makes it fiddly to manage I'm finding.

So the LMS compatibility to me is about syncing etc. It's also for some reason resampling higher bitrate PCM tracks to 48kHz but the dsf files at 88.2kHz PCM so I'll have to fiddle.

I'm by no means even an amateur with Whiskey - but I like a dram & have had nice Welsh whiskeys and I've enjoyed some Japanese most recently a Nikka Coffey Malt which I liked, but as I've been visiting distilleries to taste out of market, cask and distillery specials am on a Scottish kick atm (I do have a French whiskey I picked up in the Dordogne last year matured in truffle oil barrels which has a very cognac finish).

12. rodry

rodry New Member

I'm an another "old" user of Logitech Media Server (LMS) and I've purchased Eversolo when I see Integration with LMS.
    I'm very impressed from audio quality (respect Squeezebox Touch)!
    Here some suggestions connected to "Squeeze Connect"
    • Possibility to add "Squeeze connect" shortcut in Home Screen
    • In Android Eversolo App I don't see "Squeeze connect" applet
    • Possibility to Launch httpLMSADDRESS:9001/material/ material skin Instead of old web LMS interface (a manual setup??)
    • Streaming RadioParadise from LMS to Eversolo Fail. This is error reported in lms log
      Slim:player::Squeezebox2::statHandler (155) Error: 80:0a:80:5c:8c:67: Decoder does not support file format, code 0
      Streaming Other app like Zen radio, jazz radio, classical radio, rock radio and Deezer works from LMS!
    Eversolo app need some improvement in browsing library (take a look to squeezer app...).

However It's a very well made product, and I'm very happy with it!
    Thank's!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 5, 2024
    Amnesiac and The Moog like this.