Samba speed transfer problem

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by SkyzzoBe, Dec 26, 2022.

1. SkyzzoBe

SkyzzoBe New Member

Hello,

I've bought an Internal Hdd to put on my Zidoo 1000Pro.

When I transfer files from my Pc to the ziddo, the file transfer is bloqued at 200Mb.

When I tranfer files to my Nas the File transfer is 1GB.

I've change the cable, the place on the routeur but nothing change always 200Mb.

My ip is not Fixed but on the menu of the Zidoo it says 1Gb and the led is Orange at the back .

Is there a manipulation to do or something. ?

(Sorry for my English)

Regards F.

2. Topdude

Topdude Active Member

I've had these slow speeds right from the beginning. Posted a question on this topic too. Never have been able to fix it.
    I know this answer doesn't help you, but you are not alone with this problem.

The strange thing is: when I send the same file from the same PC to a USB3 disk connected to my ASUS AX88U I get speeds (wired) from around 100-115 megabytes/sec.
    Same file, same PC but now to Zidoo (wired) only 30-34 megabytes/sec.

Fixed IP addresses, by the way.

Beats me why. I have changed cables etc, etc. but no luck.
    Hope you'll find out how to fix this and then report back!

3. Deano86

Deano86 Active Member

I think something else is getting lost in translation as I highly doubt your posted speeds or your understanding of actual file transfer speeds are correct. I highly doubt you can transfer files to a NAS at 1gb. Just because you are connected via 1Gb ethernet, does not mean you will approach anything near that in actual usage. But, with that being said, I have no doubt that the transfer speeds to your internal HDD in your Zidoo are slower than your transfer speeds to your NAS. Perhaps a question best sent to Zidoo support. FWIW though, the transfer speeds to my old Medeger 1000x3d with its internal HDD were always much, much slower than to any NAS that I had owned at the time. So, maybe it is just a normal issue with media players that contain internal HDDs? Not certain....

4. SkyzzoBe

SkyzzoBe New Member

Hi,
    I've also test the Hdd in external usb box connected to the NAS. The transfer rate is the same as the nas 950Mb.

The problem must be with the Zidoo.

Test alos with a Wifi connection on the Zidoo, same problem 200Mb max.

I've send a mail to Zidoo. I'm waiting the answer.

5. Matt Bernhard

Matt Bernhard New Member

Curious what they say back to you. I am currently looking into a similar issue with transfer speed over Wifi being significantly slower than via a wired connection. I have reached out to the router manufacturer as I believe this is a router related issue in my case. Either way here are the two speeds I'm seeing, I'd be totally happy if the ethernet speed was the same on Wifi.

WIFI-
    Ethernet-

6. SkyzzoBe

SkyzzoBe New Member

23.2 M/sec aprox 235 Mbit
    Always the same no up and down transfer the green line is always the same.

Something Limit the transfer to this speed I think. Not the rooter, not the cable CAT7.

image.png

7. DzigiBau

DzigiBau Member

This is very imprecise statement. Ethernet cable LAN connections are 1 Gbps, which means that is 125 MB/s at maximum. It cannot transfer faster than 125 MB/s and you said it is blocked at 200MB of something. Please make distinction between GigaBIT per second and GigaBYTES per second. It is not the same.

I have Zidoo 1000Pro and work with Samba protocol all the time, through wired 1 Gbps connection, using 15 meters long Cat5 cable and it is 90-100 MB/s which is acceptable. More speed near maximum of 125 MB/s requires better cable.

At your picture in previous post, it is obviously Windows screenshot, it says transfer is 23 MB/s which is too low, but it is not 200 MB/s since it is impossible. If you want to have full 1 Gbps Ethernet wired LAN, which is able to put 125 MB/s connections you need to check couple of things, like put static IP then if you use some switch, what are switch's capabilities or it could be some older switch with 100 Mbps which cannot provide speed you expect, then if you are using some LAN router, does you router is good enough to handle several LAN ports simultaneously at 1 Gbps speed or you connect Zidoo directly to your PC, which means you need to setup both sides correctly in order to have full speed capabilities. Sometimes wired LAN is not just plug and play, you need to know some basic network setup.

8. D33_UK

D33_UK New Member

125 Mbytes/s raw transmission gives 123 Mbytes/s data transfer using jumbo frames over TCP. This will be reduced again by comms protocol overheads (eg SMB 2). Assumption here is that all chain components are capable of minimum 125 Mbytes/s. Poorly written protocol implementations, slow cpu, multitasking environments, RAID overheads etc can all impact this too.

9. thaworn R

thaworn R Member

My transfer speed from pc to zidoo, z10pro, on 1Gb.Lan.

Attached Files:

10. Matt Bernhard

Matt Bernhard New Member

What is it over Wifi?

thaworn R likes this.
  11. xpeczk

xpeczk New Member

Transfer over Wifi:
    The Zidoo Z1000 Pro has 2.4Ghz + 5Ghz dual-band WiFi, 802.11 AC 2T2R MIMO 867Mbp wireless card, it is enough to sustain a connection and transfer speeds similar to a wired one, so no problems here.

The PC you are transferring from must have a similar wifi card AC or AX, and the throughoutput should be set on short range. If the PC has a 802.11n wifi card onboard or older, it will only offer around 450Mbp or less.

Your Router should also support at least 802.11 AC, having MIMO would also be better or more antennas, and the throughoutput should also be on short range. Long range throughoutput boosts the signal range but lowers speed.
    You must make sure Zidoo and PC are connected to the 5Ghz wifi band.

Now what you have to keep in mind is the file is transfered via wifi from the PC to the Router and from the Router to the Zidoo. These three must be placed in an optimal position. Another thing is how meny devices are connected to the router; the router antennas need to keep all your devices connected and transfer information to all of them. Another thing is interference from wifi, bluetooth and other electrical devices.

I tried playing a movie via SMB which in Zidoo is showing Real Time bit rate of 110-115Mb/s; because I have too much interference and too meny devices, it is unable to play via SMB or transfer from PC to internal HDD at this speed. If I only leave the PC and Zidoo connected to the Router in an optimal position, it WILL transfer max speed or play perfectly, so I recommend you use a Wired connection.

Wired connection
    Your Zidoo and PC should both have a wired connection. If you have a NAS also wired. When you copy to Zidoo or play via SMB from PC or NAS you will get maximum transfer speed.

The type of cable is now important. If you do not get maximum speed on the wired connection, it is again because of interference. This is because of running the network cable near electrical wires, extention leads, outlets, other types of cables, other electrical equipment (Tv, playstation, xbox, speakers, lights, lamps, whatever etc.) etc.
    If this is the case you should NOT use CAT5, CAT5e and CAT6 cables. Also CAT7 is not a standard that is recognized by the industry and because they don't need certification you will get a lot of dodgy cables sold by vendors.
    You SHOULD use CAT6-A or CAT8 and make sure they are SFTP (Shielded and Foiled Twisted Pair). I would recommend CAT8 because, even though they say they are similar, it offers a faster transfer speed over the same 1Gb connection.
    If you still don't get the speed even if you have all the proper equipment, it could be old HDD or pc tasks that utilise the hdd.

thaworn R likes this.
  12. thaworn R

thaworn R Member

No. Over wire, cat6, 1Gigabit Lan.

13. Topdude

Topdude Active Member

Great! Thanks! I took this advice to see if it made any difference.
    The answer is YES!

Swapped cables again for a not inexpensive shielded CAT8 cable and my speed went up from a lousy 30-35 Megabytes/sec to a great 110-115 Megabytes/sec.

Needless to say, I am very happy!
    Problem solved!

rozel likes this.
  14. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Hmmm - I get that speed transferring files to and from my NASs and Zidoo internal drives, using CAT5e cable

Topdude likes this.
  15. Topdude

Topdude Active Member

To my USB3 drive attached to the router I got around 100 megabytes.
    No idea why I didn’t get those speeds to the Zidoo.

anyway, now I do! :)

rozel likes this.
  16. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Honestly there's so much bunkum flying around regarding. CAT cable types and whilst we are at it, HDMI ones too! But glad you are sorted

17. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Lower specs CAT cables may still do well at short to very short lengths. My CAT5e works well but is just 2 m long.
    Ran into HDMI cable limits even with very short lengths and had to throw those away.

thaworn R and Topdude like this.
  18. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Distance (cable length) from my pc to Zidoo = at least 20mtrs. But max length of HDMI cables is less than 4mtrs

19. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

I flooded our house with Cat5E in 2005/2006 - I have 10 switches, multiple patch panels, 5 wifi access points and probably more than 1000m of Cat5E throughout ( I base that on using at least 3 boxes of the stuff from memory...).

No issue transferring from one side of the house to the other through multiple switches. Speed is very much dependent on the NICs used in the equipment.

thaworn R and rozel like this.
  20. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Say no more :)