Roon|Native DSD on HDMI being converted to PCM

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A6' started by dmp6, Nov 26, 2023.

1. dmp6

dmp6 Member

For multichannel SACD DSD64 dsf files played through Roon, Marantz AVR SR7012 connected over HDMI is showing 88.2 kHz.
    Is the A6 converting the DSD to PCM even if I’ve set the HDMI output to Native DSD?

Last edited: Dec 26, 2023
  2. fofocho

fofocho Active Member

My SR7013 is showing DSD, not PCM, for both stereo and multichannel

3. dmp6

dmp6 Member

If you go to AVR Info > Inputs, it’s showing DSD but 88.1 kHz. Should show 2.8 MHz if actually DSD were being streamed.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 5, 2023
  4. fofocho

fofocho Active Member

IMG_8961.jpeg It shows 2.8Mhz

5. dmp6

dmp6 Member

6. fofocho

fofocho Active Member

How how?

7. dmp6

dmp6 Member

:eek:
    As in the transport mechanism that you’re using? Direct playback from the A6 over SMB, local USB, or Roon etc…

8. fofocho

fofocho Active Member

Over SMB

9. dmp6

dmp6 Member

Aha! Seems like a bug in Roon the endpoint implementation then? Will be good to get this verified. Do you know where you can officially file a bug?

10. dmp6

dmp6 Member

11. dmp6

dmp6 Member

@fofocho I'm still trying to wrap my head around why the SR7012 is converting the DSD stream to PCM, while the SR7013 doesn't.
    Can you please explain how you've setup the SR7013?

12. fofocho

fofocho Active Member

I do not know how to help on this.. I have not done anything special. I think you had the same settings as me on the eversolo app and in the Marantz I could not say which settings would affect DSD. Also, I am using a very cheap HDMI cable that I have spare

13. dmp6

dmp6 Member

Which HDMI port are you using?
    The docs for SR7012 and 7013 look identical in terms of multi channel DSD support, hence I’m really curious what I might be doing wrong.

14. fofocho

fofocho Active Member

Media player port

15. dmp6

dmp6 Member

Just updating the thread with response from Marantz engineering, in case some finds it useful:
    This is due to the SR7012 HDMI chipset not able to read DSD streams and hence showing wrong info. No DSD to PCM conversion is taking place in the AVR. So it’s a purely cosmetic issue.

16. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

What does it mean "it is cosmetic" if the chip cannot read DSD streams...? Or do you mean it just cannot detect their details, but it passes them over to the decoder anyway?

17. dmp6

dmp6 Member

The latter. It can’t mess with the DSD streams so it just shows wrong information. Most importantly, the DSD streams are not converted to PCM internally, as the misleading display shows.

Nutul likes this.
  18. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

Ah, ok. misleading and annoying to look at, but nevertheless not affecting quality.

dmp6 likes this.
  19. dmp6

dmp6 Member

Exactly. The HDMI chipset isn’t smart enough to mess with DSD

Nutul likes this.