Reviews are up, but unanswered questions

Discussion in 'ZIDOO Z9S' started by axledentaldj, Oct 11, 2018.

1. axledentaldj

axledentaldj New Member

I have read two reviews so far.
    Do 3D Blu-ray iso play at 23.976 fps?
    Does it support MacOS NFS shares?
    Does it support VC-1 in a mkv container? Will it support HDR10 Plus?

Im coming from a Popcorn Hour A-400. If the above questions go unanswered or unfixed, then the firmware is not mature enough for me to purchase the new Z9S.

Thanks.

2. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Do 3D Blu-ray iso play at 23.976 fps? I don't care that much if played at 24P to be honest but will check. RTD1295DD did not support it by HW limitation maybe corrected with RTD1296DD?
    Does it support MacOS NFS shares? If MacOS is different than Unix NFS then MacOS is to blame for incompatibility.
    Does it support VC-1 in a mkv container? VC-1 on Blu-Ray works just fine tested that (Back to the future BD). Very high compressed MKV containers may play better on other platforms. I just avoid those, simple as that.
    Will it support HDR10 Plus? I never saw any media player doing HDR10+ and for sure the A-400 does not.

Z9S does a lot of things better than A-400. Everybody looks for different goodies in a player.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  3. axledentaldj

axledentaldj New Member

Well, thanks for some answers. Im not sure if it was needed to be sarcastic.

4. axledentaldj

axledentaldj New Member

5. Jonesthegas

Jonesthegas New Member

If it doesn't do 23.976 then that is an issue for me.

Also, does it output static metadata MaxCLL and MaxFALL with MKV files?

Martin

6. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

What do you expect from the player asking "Do 3D Blu-ray iso play at 23.976 fps?"

Is close enough, good enough? ;)

If you are asking if the box can do 23.98 instead of 24fps the answer is YES. As far as being precise 23.976 the answer is NO.

First of all I don't have latest Zidoo box with RTD1296DD. I do have Zidoo X9S with RTD1295DD, but the issue with frame rate appears to be the same for both chipsets.
    Look at the posting here and here.

@Nice Monkey where did you get this info: "RTD1295DD did not support it by HW limitation ...?"

I started this new thread here to capture the stutter issue with slow motion videos. As you can see there are 2 types based on the file type. Very strong stutter in videos with high compression around 4.5Mbps video stream bitrate and 23.976fps. The second type is small blip looking the the film paused for split second on the rest of the movies including 4K HDR and 1:1 ISO's. Both issues are time based and cycling anywhere from 4.5 min.

Now the 3D, I'm not quite sure to be honest. I downloaded your sample and watched the whole 6 minutes of it. Not a blip. Typically I don't see any issues at all in 3D MVC ISO files. Very rare once in 3 or 4 movies I see this doubled frame blip at the beginning of the movie in the first 15 to 30 min only. I'm not quite sure if this is my TV motion processor or Zidoo is adjusting some buffer or maybe it is the frequency clock issue that we see on the rest of the movies.

7. axledentaldj

axledentaldj New Member

Thanks for taking the time to test.
    Ive read some posts about 4K mkv movies are
    having microstutter/judder. I know what this
    looks like. If I run a VC-1 in a mkv container, I can see the microstutter. Luckily, easy to fix for my A-400, just remux into an iso container and syabas soc player engine uses its other player engine (iso's) and runs properly in 23.976fps.

8. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

@3DBuff "If you are asking if the box can do 23.98 instead of 24fps the answer is YES. As far as being precise 23.976 the answer is NO".

To be really precise it should do 24K/1001 to get no clock-slip at all. Using 23,97602397602398 is already a lot more precise but 23,976 is very close and used mostly as a reference.

Programmable clocks use discrete rates and will round to the tolerance supported by them. Using 24 fps still causes some visible side-effects for me but 23.98 fps does the job already. Obviously this is a subjective observation and may be disagreed by others.

9. axledentaldj

axledentaldj New Member

It seems I notice the issue, so, Zidoo, this is a no sale for me.

10. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

Playing 23.976 fps film material at 24 fps results in micro stutter every 20s.
    This can be easily observed in Raspberry Pi / Kodi combo where you can select fps or make it automatic following the source. When we talk about 23.98 fps it typically means whatever the precision you want out of 24000/1001 but following the source speed. This is not the case in Zidoo / Realtek combo.

The lack of precision is casing this micro stutter or doubled frame every so many minutes. If the programmable clock was off the movie should end 20s sooner and nobody would ever know. With Zidoo / Realtek there has to be double clock in order to do that. One inside video processor generating frames across the timeline and second maybe HDMI clock scanning memory and generating pixel clock rate. There are not in sync and that's how it gets stutter.

Most of other inexpensive devices including Raspberry Pi / Broadcom set don't have this issue.

11. axledentaldj

axledentaldj New Member

Im sticking with my Popcorn Hour A-400. Even though, these are nolonger made. Heres hoping tomorrows possible new Apple Mac Mini will have Hdmi 2.0 and work good for 4K and I hope 3D Blu-ray..if MacGo ever supports 3D Blu-ray iso.

12. vadergr

vadergr Member

Review updated with new Youtube video

pcristi and ProfenixNew like this.
  13. mdl

mdl New Member

You mean Mac SMB shares (Mac OS went to SMB 3 compatability). I'd like to know also. Anyone have an idea?

14. DELUCAS

DELUCAS Well-Known Member

HDR10 + plus has only recently just come out / Announced or some major manufactures are supporting it etc
    So no other Media box supports the standard .

Unless your Amazon or Apple with $$$$

We will have to wait in line .