Review: Zidoo NEO Alpha

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Sledgehamma, Aug 3, 2022.

1. Onwrathz

Onwrathz New Member

Incredible review. Thank you. Anyone tried upgrading the SSD to a larger or faster one? Wondering what the limit is, I assume 550Mb/s or so like m2 ssd, rather than NVME speeds. Also, I assume the 4GB of ram helps with movie covers loading on HT4 compared to the 2G on base models. Is the 4GB a night and day difference?
    Update: just noticed the UHD3000 has 4G of ram also. Didn’t realize that. So does it make a meaningful difference to poster loading?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2022
  2. myzidoo

myzidoo Active Member Beta test group

fixed

3. Sledgehamma

Sledgehamma Well-Known Member

I forgot what the size limit is, I think it was either 500GB or 1TB. Yes, its SATA speed and not NVMe. No, not a night and day difference.

Onwrathz likes this.
  4. OlivierQC

OlivierQC Well-Known Member

1tb max

Onwrathz and Sledgehamma like this.
  5. Visconti12

Visconti12 Active Member

Market price deserves to be 1tb or more

6. run51

run51 New Member

Hello

@Sledgehamma
    I have question.
    When i play ISO SACD how to switch quickly Between 2.0 or 5.1 tracks?

thanks

7. Visconti12

Visconti12 Active Member

You press the audio button of RC and then choose from available track list

8. run51

run51 New Member

okay , thanks

Audio button?

Can we see it directly from the player screen?

No need to turn on the TV?

I saw a list but no details on 2.0 or 5.1

Last edited: Feb 14, 2023
  9. Spizz

Spizz Member

Does the Zidoo Neo Alpha allow the install of 3rd party apps like the upcoming Eversolo DMP-A6 which can install Apple Music ipad app and playback Hi-Res Audio?
    Does it also support Spotify Connect and Amazon Music?

gymnos likes this.
  10. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Some answers to recent questions here:
    - Like with UHD3000 the extra Flash and RAM does not have a visible impact on performance with Neo Alpha. Never harms though. Being a 32-bit Android OS RAM access will be limited to 3.2 GByte anyway.
    - Playback of SACD in 2CH/MCH works the same as on all other models. Only here there is DSD output via HDMI next to DSD => PCM available. The Front panel and TV screen will show 2 and 6 channel indications with MP7.
    - I guess 2 TByte SSD modules will work too like with DMP-A6. Don't see any real limit there. Don't look at SSD for increased I/O performance just for convenience.
    - Playing music with the TV off gives me troubles using Alpha using the second HDMI port. Switches to 2CH output (mostly) when my Philips TV is being turned off. Extremely irritating. Must be EDID triggered.
    - No Neo Alpha behaves like all other Neo players: with no Google Play Store included. Android App compatibility is Android Leanback like all other Zidoo players with exactly the same limitations.

Maybe the Music Player APP for Neo models will get a boost by porting the version of DMP-A6? Who knows? It runs a different Android OS version (stripped Android 11) though so not that simple to do.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2023
    Spizz likes this.
  11. Spizz

Spizz Member

Thanks Nice Monkey. It seems the way Apple Music is working on the DMP-A6 is via sideloading the tablet APK using the APP feature on the unit. Not via a playstore. I don't believe the Neo Alpha allows the loading of APKs? As per the DMP-A6 instruction manual-

"You can view, install, uninstall 3rd party apps. To install 3rd party apps, first download the APK file and copy onto a removable hardrive, insert the hard drive into this device and find the APK file in File Manager, then install it by one click."

"Note it is recommenced to install tablet apps."

I believe the ipad app is the only one that does automatic rate switching? Be interested to see how this works in practice and how you control the Apple Music App as the manual shows the Apple Music App icon installed and via what connections it is outputted.

12. steveoat87

steveoat87 New Member

I am unclear about how the hdmi outputs work. Can you play multichannel dsf files and also see the screen at the same time if you use the first hdmi output. Or, is multichannel only limited to the second hdmi output (audio only) and you are unable to view your screen also.

13. Mark Boddy

Mark Boddy New Member

Do we now know for sure what the limit is?
    Will the new Samsung 990 Pro 4TB M2 SSDs work?

14. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

@steveoat87
    MCH (including DSF => PCM) works via both HDMI interfaces but for MCH DSD you need to use the Audio/DSD port. The Video output always works independently via the Main port.

@Mark Boddy
    In fact I am using my 4 TByte SSD now with an USB housing and connect it also when needed to the Neo X and Neo Alpha players.
    I am pretty confident it with work also Internal with Neo S and Neo Alpha.

15. Sergii

Sergii New Member

Hi everyone. I bought a uhd5000 first, but then changed it to a neo alpha (was a really good discount for alpha). I have a couple questions now. I use it with philips oled 807 (supports hdr 10+, dv, hlg, etc.) and Marantz cinema 50.
    1. Can you give me the link for an optimal settings for this set up (neo alpha + tv oled + av receiver). Just need a normal settings for video and audio. There are so many information and recommendations that I am lost.
    2. Do I need to download any edid and use it?
    3. Do I need HD Fury? I don't really understand what this for.
    4. I have a good hi fi set up for music (unfortunately without xlr inputs) is it better to listen dsd via hdmi or use rca? I listen the music only stereo, no multi channel. Do I have to change any settings if I listen with rca and then change for HDMI listening?
    5. And the last most important for me. Can I download files (movies or music from torrents) directly to zidoo? I use utorrent for downloading. If yes, is there any manual for set it up correctly? I think it calls smb.
    Also I attached the file with info reproducing the movie on factory settings. For me it seems correct. What do you say?
    I would really appreciate any help. Thanks.

Attached Files:

16. Sledgehamma

Sergii likes this.
  17. Sergii

Sergii New Member

Thank you for you reply. Couple of days and things making clear.
    5. It doesn't matter actually. The most important is to download directly to zidoo's hdd. I would prefer to download on pc, but when utorrent asking me where I want to save it I would indicate zidoo's hdd. I don't know if it's possible.

18. Sledgehamma

Yes that should be possible. For that you need to start the SMB Server on the Zidoo via Settings -> Network -> Samba Server

19. Vic

Vic New Member

Hello. @Sledgehamma
    Zidoo Neo Alpha
    How to turn on the voice control mode (voice dialing function / Google Assistant)?

20. Crix

Crix New Member

Have there been any updates on Tidal Atmos support?