Review and need-to-know Eversolo DMP-A8 streamer

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A8' started by Nice Monkey, Nov 1, 2023.

1. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Here I will keep an update for the DMP-A8 compared with DMP-A6 Standard/Master editions.
    Reading my review for the A6 first is highly recommended as both players basically use the same FW only slightly adapted for HW differences.
    http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?threads/review-and-need-to-know-eversolo-dmp-a6-streamer.95817/
    Because of this also FW updates are released synchronized for both models.

Almost all features, functions and controls are identical except those directly related to the HW facilitated by each model. This being above all the Input/Output ports and the DSP of the A8.
    The main menu was enhanced for the A8 specifically revealing the higher model that way.

The HW differences compared with A6:
    - It is a Stereo only model with no MCH support having no HDMI Output port.
    - It is wider but not full 19" the actual width is 38.8 cm.
    - It has 64 GByte Flash instead of 32 GByte
    - It supports WOL so turning ON using the APP is possible but also got the optional remote of A6 now bundled standard.
    - It comes with a (mini) Hybrid PSU (LPS for the DAC section and SPS for the Streamer SOC). This Hybrid concept proved to work well with various Zidoo media player models. Here the allocated physical space is extremely limited resulting in absolute minimalistic LPS + SMS units. Frankly I prefer seeing that single Beatechnic LPS.
    - It got a truly high end DAC with now the AKM AK4191EQ (digital section) + AK4499EX (analog section) DAC pair chips. AKM in this setup is often rated just a bit higher than top of the line ES9038(M)PRO. The DAC as a whole in fact is as good as it can get using standard available market components. The analog part got further enhanced using TI OPA1612 and redeploys the ACCUSILICON femto-clock crystals just like the DMP-A6 Master Edition.
    - It got an unspecified DSP (up to 192 kHz) integrated so a configurable equalizer is expected to come for sure. A blowup of the DAC panel shows a AKM AK7739VQ which should be it.
    - It got an Integrated Pre-Amplifier coupled to a transparant R2R ladder step down attenuator for Volume Control. Extra Analog RCA/XLR Inputs connect to this Pre-AMP section of the streamer directly. The R2R ladder volume control uses quality OMRON relays which as a bonus (or nuisance) produce a firm clicking sound when changing volume.
    - On the Digital side It adds an IIS Digital Output and doubles SPDIF Inputs. According the manual this IIS output can be fed from all digital inputs including SPDIF , HDMI (ARC) and USB!
    - It got a HDMI (ARC) Input which is ARC and eARC backward compatible up to 192 kHz. This is a good alternative for connecting a TV via Optical SPDIF.
    - It adds a 12V trigger Output.

Practical use experiences:
    A friend sold his Zidoo media player UHD2000 and went for a Eversolo A8 as a replacement. He never got really happy with that UHD2000 but he loves that Eversolo A8. Still on his list to do is getting HDMI(ARC) to interwork with his TV.
    He was so nice to bring it along for an extensive listening and comparing session.

First of all it facilitated me confirming the differences chapter above. It did not come with any surprises. Turning both units on after some decent jiggling with cables we started our session. The screen of the A8 resulted a lot brighter with almost no contrast as the side-effect. It took us quite a while to find the cause being "Background Images" being turned on by default. After turning it off the screens finally became close. For me this is simply the wrong default.

My friend mentioned that he never had used the remote as WOL worked fine for him. I took advantage of the opportunity to copy the IR button for Power On/Off to one of the programmable power buttons of a Zidoo remote. That worked next as expected/desired.

The next observation in fact is related to using his IOS based App versus my Android based App. He was unpleasantly surprised that swiping the Music Player view my phone would facilitate the Info (left) and Lyrics (right) views. At least the Iphone he uses does not support swipes on the Music Player. I have no idea if this is the case for all Apple models and IOS versions?

How does it compare sound-wise?
    Can't repeat this enough but obviously it is subjective like hell. For this we aligned the sound and music tracks on both players as close as possible using the same Onkyo AMP and B&W speakers in stereo mode for analog output. The interconnect was done via RCA cables.

We used a fair number of well known quality albums in FLAC via PCM and SACD via DSD at various resolutions. Doing a lot of A/B switching we came to the same conclusion: The differences are really small but the A8 is marginally better regarding instrument placement and preciseness. I recognized these differences as typically found using different classes of crystals. So we moved to my Zidoo Neo X for comparison as it also uses top class components for the Sabre chip, crystals and analog section. As expected these differences were totally gone now. We frankly could not detect a clear sound difference between Sabre ES9038Pro and AKM AK4499EX using these 2 players.
    It however revealed a problem with my Zidoo Neo X DAC as there was a clear difference in volume levels between Left and Right with the Right level being lower. I need to do further analysis on that and probably make a HW change to correct it.

Remarks:
    Eversolo comes with a Stereo only model this time meant for those preferring/having an expensive dedicated stereo setup. That is a different market section clearly opened with the DMP-A6 Master Edition selling like hotcakes. The DMP-A8 is apparently replacing that (interim) model?
    Dropping MCH via HDMI may be a good reason still to go for the A6. All other changes are convenient upgrades which may be relevant for buyers above all the IIS Output and/or DSP module. For me the DMP-A8 has a clear lower value/money ratio as it is not really cheap even seen its qualities.

DMP-A8 is technically MQA capable via its XMOS XU316 but it is not in the specifications certification for this model anywhere! I understand from Eversolo it is currently pending certification. The same applies for ROON which is reported to work spoofing another HW platform for the interim.

For the DAC side it is close to the Gustard A26 and SMSL D400ex designs but the streamer side is far more advanced. Both competitors use their own in-house clock module where Eversolo goes for the famous ACCUSILICON femto crystals instead. No idea how that turns out in practice.

I am curious to see if it stays popular connecting external DAC's to this one too. I expect it to be difficult to find one that actually sounds better. This for now based on the specifications without a sound test. Eating is the real prove of the pudding.

Maybe a dedicated full MCH DMP-A10 comes later? There is market for such a model too for sure.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2024
  2. Nice Monkey

Single versus dual DAC:
    Most well-known reviewers/audiophiles rate single versions just a tiny bit higher. This can be explained by:
    - The superior channel separation is the obvious goody of L+R separated but in reality not an issue as it is far below the perception level.
    - Using 2 units there might be minuscule differences in reproduction which in fact may impact the sound in very minor negative ways?
    So it looks impressive/superior in specifications/design but in practice it does not clearly improve the sound. No reviewer in fact rated SQ higher with Dual DAC, but specific measurements may do.
    It is all about the weakest link and the A8 single design makes perfect sense to me.

The DSP module
    The AK7739VQ is a highly integrated digital signal processor, including a 24-bit stereo ADC with MIC gain amplifiers, a 24-bit stereo ADC with input selector, two 32-bit stereo DACs, 4 stereo & 4 monaural sample rate converters (SRCs) supporting the sampling frequency up to 192kHz, a DIT, two DSPs and a Sub DSP for Audio / HF process. The DSP1 and the DSP2 have 6144step/fs (when fs = 48kHz) parallel processing power. The AK7739VQ is capable of processing sound and voice such as for hands-free function simultaneously because two DSPs are able to work on different but synchronized sampling frequencies. As the AK7739VQ is a RAM based DSP, it is freely programmable for user requirements, such as acoustic effects and proprietary high performance hands-free function. The AK7739VQ is available in a space saving 64-pin HTQFP package.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2024
  3. Nice Monkey

Reserved

4. mags

mags New Member

12v trigger out

Nice Monkey likes this.
  5. fofocho

fofocho Active Member

So no DSD multichannel output or I read that wrong?

6. mags

mags New Member

Roon Ready still unknown.

7. Nice Monkey

No MCH in whichever format. Has no HDMI Output and DAC is 2CH/Stereo.

Roon Ready for sure will come later. They are not making the same mistake twice: "Claiming before certification is completed".

Last edited: Nov 2, 2023
    fofocho and mags like this.
  8. kc001

kc001 Active Member

you mean this? :D

9. Nice Monkey

You see a name/brand/type mentioned anywhere? The same for the processor.
    I don't for sure.

This is not bad news by itself. Wait and see what these can bring.
    Having a more powerful platform never harms.

10. kc001

kc001 Active Member

upload_2023-11-1_18-17-10.png

11. Nice Monkey

Those are the AKM DAC chips on the DAC panel (AKM AK4499EQ + AK41491EQ) !
    One AKM is in fact an AK7742/AK7752/AK7739VQ DSP. Can't read the 3de AKM label.
    I think also this limited peep was done on purpose.

I am talking the SOC which is under that big heatsink for the processor. If your laser eyes can look though that one just share the outcome with us.

Updated the text leaving both possibilities open. I am tempted to think it is an AK77XXindeed.
    https://www.dsprelated.com/thread/16279/akm-dsp-development

Last edited: Nov 2, 2023
  12. kc001

kc001 Active Member

look again - the DSP is this:
    upload_2023-11-1_18-42-58.png

the DAC chips are 2 and are 1x AK4499EX + 1x AK4191EQ
    upload_2023-11-1_18-35-29.png

upload_2023-11-1_18-30-31.png

Last edited: Nov 1, 2023
  13. kc001

kc001 Active Member

As for that, If I could hazard a guess, I's say it's the same as the one in A6, but with more RAM/ROM

14. Nice Monkey

RAM is the same 4 Gbyte but Flash is 64 Gbyte now. That is specified. I am not so sure about the processor.
    If Eversolo/Zidoo omits something like that then there is mostly a reason behind it.

AK4191 was just my bad looking and corrected. But I see 3 identical sized AKM Black chips on the DAC panel not 2.

Where does AK7739VQ come from? I still don't see it anywhere.
    https://www.digchip.com/datasheets/parts/datasheet/2/025/AK7739VQ-pdf.php
    But it has an ADC integrated for those Analog Inputs so it well could be?

15. kc001

kc001 Active Member

you need to zoom in on this image:
    upload_2023-11-1_19-0-56.png

Nice Monkey likes this.
  16. kc001

kc001 Active Member

I guess it's the same because they would otherwise need to develop/port the software.
    Eg. rk3588 support Android 12. When A8 comes out we'll see.

17. Nice Monkey

Thanks' You convinced me. AK7739VQ it is most likely. One mystery solved. If it is Dirac Live capable? It would not really surprise me if it is planned for.
    Now we know also where those Analog Inputs connect to and that makes only sense to me for something like Dirac Live.

They changed Processors and Android level with each Zidoo media player generation. So I would not be surprised there either. Yes often with at least some new bugs caused by it but that is taken for granted.

18. fofocho

fofocho Active Member

Before thinking in Dirac we should think in MCH

19. fofocho

fofocho Active Member

I would have appreciated a slightly larger screen, like 8”. From 3 meters I cannot read the screen of the A6

Miki222 likes this.
  20. IoanB

IoanB New Member

Curious about what opamps are used.