Restart time is consistantly incorrect

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Dagon, Dec 8, 2021.

1. Dagon

Dagon Member

I cannot get my movies to re-start where I stop them. Doesn't matter if I use the Stop button or hit return twice to stop it, I will for example stop a movie at 43 min in and even if it says 43min on the button in the start display it jumps like 15 to 30 min. At first I though fast forwarding was the culprit, so I started the movie 1917 and let it run to 1min30sec and stopped it. I then went to restart it and it said 1:30 below the start button but it started at 3:40.

I have finally gotten my poster collections correct and this is a show stopper for me. I often start a movie one night then pick it up the next.

Please help?

2. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

This is not normal. Factory reset maybe?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2021
  3. Dagon

Dagon Member

I didn't think it was normal, and I tried this when I first got the Z10 Pro and it seemed to work. You would think this is one of the basics of a movie player app.

If I do a factory reset on the Z10 Pro, does that mean I have to re-scan all 4K movies or if I remove the HDD will it remember? I have the data saving on the HDD not on the player.

4. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

You need to do a backup of your HT data first!! A factory reset does exactly what it says.

5. Dagon

Dagon Member

Ok, I'm stumped. I backed up my HT data, did a factory reset and everything came back alright after I restored the HT but the problem is still occurring. Basically what is happening is the time is being doubled. I sent an e-mail to Zidoo support, with this example:

When I play a movie in HT it works ok but if I stop it then restart it, the movie restarts at a different time. What is interesting is it is starting at about double the current time. Here is an example from a movie I just did (fyi, just ignoring seconds so times are not exact):
    Stopped at 7min

Restart (note blue indicator said 7 min) started at 14 min.
    Stopped at 14 min
    Restart (note blue indicator said 14 min) started at 28 min.
    Stopped at 28 min
    Restart (note blue indicator said 28 min) started at 56 min.
    Stopped at 56 min
    Restart (note blue indicator said 1:43 min) started at the beginning.

This is just weird, open to suggestions!

6. Markswift2003

Very odd - I can't replicate that at all - ok it's not accurate to the second but you'd expect that with key frames, but it's pretty much spot on every time.

Does this happen with every file?

7. Dagon

Dagon Member

So I decided to go deeper and started checking different file types. I basically have two ways I get movies, one is I rip the DVD to an mpg and the other is from Prime or Netflix I record from the screen. It appears the ones I screen scrape work fine while the ones I rip (the vast majority) do not, they all show the doubling effect (i.e. stop it at 10 restarts at 20). In the two images I loaded with the info, Kate is screen scraped from Netflix (works) and Cold Pursuit (doesn't work) is ripped from a DVD.

The most obvious difference is the format H264(MPG) vs MPEG2(MPG) but what is really interesting is the "Remain Time" Kate has a real time 1:35:48 while Cold Pursuit shows 0-7:0-3, I don't even know how to interpret that. Also note that the "Current Time" is 2:05:56 while the total duration is 1:58:53.

I got a note back from Zidoo support and they told me they don't have a clue but recommended:
    1. Download firmware with G to USB, Files do not need to be unzipped and no renamed
    Z10pro v6.3.60_G (Google play)

http://apidl.zidoo.tv/Z10_PRO/v6.3.60/Z10-Pro_P_v6.3.60_G_202111250922_ota-package.zip

I can't seem to download the zip, the link doesn't work. Do you know where I can get 6.3.60? I currently have 6.3.40.

Attached Files:

8. Markswift2003

9. Dagon

Dagon Member

Thanks Mark, the link worked.

I am uploading Cold Pursuit for you in Mega. I'll get you the link asap.

10. Markswift2003

Nice one.

11. Dagon

Dagon Member

FYI: I upgraded to 6.3.60 firmware and did another factory reset. No change in the issue.

12. Markswift2003

Ok - sussed it.

It's the way the GOPs (Group of Pictures) and timecode works in those .mpg files.

I'm not sure what the source of them is, but it's a really odd way of doing it and the answer is to remux to an mkv using MKVToolnix. This doesn't change the Mpeg2 encoding (which isn't the probem), it just "rewraps" the file.

If you do that, the indexes get written properly and stop/resume works perfectly (within the constraints of the keyframes in the GOPs).

It also fixes the aspect ratio!!

If you are ripping yourself then I suggest you use MakeMKV instead of what you use currently.

13. Dagon

Dagon Member

Well, you hit the nail on the head. I downloaded MKVToolnix and tried some things and it works. I can even create the mkv file in the same folder as my mpg and if I change the file extension I don't have to re-scan. Just means I have to convert a few thousand files.

I use Leowa to rip DVDs and I can rip them to mkv's and they seem to work as well......

Thanks for your help. !!!!!!!

Markswift2003 likes this.
  14. Markswift2003

Enjoy!

15. Dagon

Dagon Member

So I was able to use that tool to convert about 4000 mpg files to mkv files and I continued with building my poster wall. I have a number of categories and was going along fine re-matching unmatched scans, doing them in batches of 100 and now all of a sudden I'm getting

"Loading Posters, please wait....."

It never stops. I backed up my HT data and did a factory reset, removed the hard drive and scanned it for errors and defragged it and it still just sits there.

Has anyone ever seen this? Is there a way around it barring starting all over again?