Recommended Settings and other useful stuff for RTD 1619DR Players

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Markswift2003, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

What am I looking for?

All the bias lighting pattern does is allow you to adjust the brightness of a D65 bias light and there's no sense in using a 10,000nit Dolby Block because all that will do is remove tone mapping of the Dolby Signal so you'd just get a non-compressed PQ curve with hard clip at the maxnits of your display.

If you're curious, here's a set of EDIDs with DV blocks from 100 to 10,000nits:

https://mega.nz/file/pX4QRSCJ#93cbUv6Qh4ViewCohbpcffZ4wgolizGrUbCuzwxzGzI

Last edited: Aug 21, 2022
  2. vddan

vddan Active Member

In the current lot 'BT.2020 LLDV 100-10,000nit Edids', I use the 1500 nit, but I think I am a little high, the 1000 nit is a bit dull, if I dared I will ask for a 1200/1300 nit ............
    It would be great on your part !!

3. Markswift2003

I've updated the link above to include 1200 and 1300nit EDIDs in the Zip file...

4. vddan

vddan Active Member

Great thank you, but the link marks me 'The file you are trying to download is no longer offered'.
    How to do ?

5. Markswift2003

6. vddan

vddan Active Member

Super at the top !!!! It's downloaded!
    I'm testing this evening on my JVC NZ7 and I would make a little comeback tomorrow ......
    Have a good day

Markswift2003 likes this.
  7. Nathan W

Nathan W Member

I've seen the HDFury Vertex2 recommended for getting LLDV with an proper HDR signal working. Will the cheaper Dr. HDMI 8K work as well or do I have to shell out for the more expensive one?

8. Markswift2003

Unfortunately not - although it allows spoofing the EDID as the Zidoo does, it does no more than that.

The Vertex 2 allows for a custom HDR message to be send if the input is LLDV:

upload_2022-8-21_15-8-12.png

The older Vertex and the Integral 2 will do a similar thing in that they will send a permanent custom HDR signal so it would be feasible to use one of those as long as you send everything as LLDV therefore the display will always be in HDR.

upload_2022-8-21_15-10-50.png

But the Vertex 2 and its successor, the stupidly name Vrroom, are way more flexible and also include a web server - the Vertex and Integral 2 rely on an application and need to be connected to the PC via USB to mess with settings.

The Vertex 2 is definitely worth the extra money.

9. Nathan W

Nathan W Member

Thank you for quick response. I heard from HDFury themselves the cheapest device that can append an HDR signal to an LLDV input is the Arcana. I ended up going with that as that is the sole feature I am looking for. I will return and get a Vertex2 if that doesn't work out.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2022
  10. Markswift2003

Of course - forgot about the Arcana - it's very much a set and forget device and should do exactly what you want.

11. lightsout

lightsout Member

Just commenting here because I love that Mark can't mention the vrroom without commenting on the silliness of the name

12. fnhanks

fnhanks Member

What exactly are you doing with these EDIDs? Is this changing the luminance for you which is doing something to DTM? I manually changed the values from 1000/400 to 100/40 but am not sure I saw much of a difference and also thought things were a tad dark. Curious of what you’re doing and if it would help me as well.

13. vddan

vddan Active Member

Hi,
    Yes, that's exactly what I am looking for by changing the 'nit', I try to have the best dynamic while remaining in the contrast standards (BT2020 HDR) and then check the luminosity balance with my sights!
    Last night I put Edid 1300 nit (instead of 1,500 nit) and there the image appeared ideal ........... watching a whole film and nothing wanted to change whatever this that is !
    So thank you again to Markswift .....................

14. Markswift2003

Great news :)

15. vddan

vddan Active Member

16. Markswift2003

LLDV tone maps its dynamic metadata to a static PQ gamma curve based on what's called Target_Max_PQ or TMaxPQ in the Dolby block in the EDID.

So the actual video output of LLDV is preprocessed with trim/contrast/luminance changes etc in accordance with the RPU in the Dolby signal.

The projector sees this as a standard BT.2020 HDR10 input (if you either set HDR10 manually or spoof an HDR message using an HDFury device) so you can vary TMaxPQ in accordance with how the projector tone maps - what gamma curve you use, or in the case of the new JVCs, how dynamic tone mapping works.

The sweet spot for LLDV is 1000nits - that's the nominal value it's designed for, but because we're essentially hacking the way DV works to fit a BT.2020 HDR10 display, a bit of wiggling can be needed.

crutzulee and vddan like this.
  17. fnhanks

fnhanks Member

Got it. So is this functionally any different than me changing those four values (max luminance
    e, MaxCLL, etc.) on that one page in the HD Fury? Or is this achieving the same thing? I was changing and sending these values and my projector was getting them, but I wasn’t exactly sure if it was doing anything. I also wonder if this is taking a step back. Before, those values were dynamic and each movie I played would have custom values. Now, it’s pegged to a single standard value, so I wonder if that’s making the DTM less effective.

18. Markswift2003

Sorry - bit lost by the question - are you sending LLDV to the projector in this case?

19. fnhanks

fnhanks Member

Yes. I am using the LLDV EDID with the Zidoo + VRROOM as well as my shield which I know does LLDV for some sources through the VRROOM. So was curious if adding those EDIDs above in the VRROOM would provide any value, or if the person above is uploading those to the Zidoo, in Liu of the VRROOM since it can set those values. Apologies if I’m not making sense, I’m slowly starting to wrap my head around all this.

20. Markswift2003

What display are you using?