Recommendations for an Epson Projector Please:

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by witchdoctor, May 18, 2022.

1. witchdoctor

witchdoctor Member

I have an Epson 3800 4K projector that is NOT DV capable. If I want to view DV content so which Zidoo product should I buy or do I need to get an HD Fury?

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

All current Zidoo models (RTD 1619) will allow you to view Dolby Vision on your projector. They all have exactly the same video performance.

The easiest way is to allow the Zidoo to just convert DV content to HDR10 for native display on your projector.

I'm not sure whether Epson projectors can be manually switched into their HDR mode (I suspect not) but if they can, you can use a custom EDID (included) to fool the Zidoo into producing BT.2020 LLDV and view that natively as Dolby Vision by manually setting the projector into HDR10 mode.

If you can't do that, an HDFury device is necessary to send a spoof HDR SEI message to the projector alongside the LLDV signal from the Zidoo so that the projector thinks it's an HDR10 signal and switches into its HDR mode. In this case you can either used the built in Custom EDID function in the Zidoo or load one into the HDFury.

I would recommend using an HDFury Vertex2 since that allows for sending the SEI message if and only if an LLDV signal is received at the input.

If you use something like an Integral2 or a Vertex1 then this will work, but the SEI message has to be permanent and not dependent on the input type which is much less flexible and a serious issue if SDR content is used.

witchdoctor likes this.
  3. witchdoctor

witchdoctor Member

Thanks for the quick reply, I can order one from Amazon and will reply if I have a question.

4. Markswift2003

Of course - anytime ;)

5. witchdoctor

witchdoctor Member

Good news, here is my reply from Epson:
    Auto is recommended and Yes, you can set it manually.
    Best Regards,
    Epson Support

6. Markswift2003

Cool - that's great - so you can set the custom EDID in the Zidoo to BT.2020 LLDV, get the Zidoo to output LLDV, set HDR manually in the projector and boom - Dolby Vision.

serg fedorov likes this.
  7. witchdoctor

witchdoctor Member

Yes, here are the instructions from Epson support:

See page 88 on the online users manual. It is under Signal Menu >Dynamic Range.

8. witchdoctor

witchdoctor Member

From the manual:
    Dynamic Range Dynamic Range Signal Status HDR10 Setting HLG Setting Dynamic Range: sets the range of dark and bright areas in images; choose from Auto (recommended), SDR, HDR10, or HLG Signal Status: displays the image signal HDR10 Setting: adjusts the PQ curve from 1 to 16

and edid info:

Advanced Video Range EDID Image Processing Video Range: sets the video range to match the setting of the device connected to the HDMI input port EDID: sets the EDID settings; select Normal for 3840 × 2160 30Hz signals; select Expanded for 3840 × 2160 60Hz signals

9. witchdoctor

witchdoctor Member

So I select Expanded for 3840 x 2160 60 Hz signals right?

10. Markswift2003

Awesome - just had a look - so yes, you set the Colour Space to BT.2020 and the Dynamic Range to HDR10

11. Markswift2003

The EDID setting won't matter because you'll be using a Custom EDID in the Zidoo, but yes, I'd set for Expanded for other sources - not that you'll need 3840x2160 60Hz very often!

witchdoctor likes this.
  12. Markswift2003

I've moved the thread to the 1619 forum - this info may be useful for other users.

leonkoum and witchdoctor like this.
  13. witchdoctor

witchdoctor Member

Just an update, in the "Advanced Setup wizard" on the Zidoo I set video for VS10 for everything and didn't need to change the settings in the Epson 3800. Whether I left it on auto or set it manually to HDR 10 it displayed correctly so I left it on auto.

14. witchdoctor

witchdoctor Member

I have set the Zidoo to output VS10 for all content, the PJ set to auto reads the flag perfectly, I see the VS10 Dolby Vision logo in the upper left corner when starting a new movie and even old DVD rips look amazing.

15. Dragonorp

Dragonorp New Member

Need to also buy a receiver, will this hack also work when zidoo connected to the projector through receiver, does it need to support dolby vision? If it only supports hdr10?

What about hdr10+, I know it's very niche only one show only had hdr10+ and it's jack ryan.

Projector is epson 9400.

16. witchdoctor

witchdoctor Member

Yeah, your receiver needs to be DV compatible OR you can use a 4K HDMI audio extractor which will send audio to your receiver and video to the PJ. IDK about HDR10+

17. Markswift2003

Not necessarily - Dolby Vision (at 23~30fps at least) was designed to run on HDMI 1.4, so older pre-Dolby Vision, even pre-HDR10 receivers, should work.

This isn't the case with HDR10+, and there is no hack for HDR10+, so both the display and receiver must support HDR10+.

18. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

But of course you could get a Vertex2 to spoof the TV / Projector to receive HDR10+ Video as I did with my former Samsung TV and route the audio to existing receiver separately. This would be cheaper than a new AVR.

Or would this not be possible in this instance?

19. Markswift2003

Don't need it with an Epson - you can manually set HDR mode and HDR10+ is not applicable.

rozel likes this.
  20. GizmoGuy

GizmoGuy New Member

I have the Epson LS12000 that supports HDR10+ and an older Yamaha AVR RX-A3050 (HDCP2.2, Atmos, HDR10 / Dolby Vision / HLG and BT.2020 compatible) that does not support HDR10+. Planning to purchase a Zidoo Z10Pro or 1000Pro for my MKV movies to send video to proj and audio to AVR. Am I correct that for DV video the Zidoo will send HDR10 via VS10 to the projector, and for HDR10+ video the Zidoo will send HDR10+? No Fury is necessary?