Random Hangs, Please Help!

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X9S' started by Ten_of_a_Kind, Mar 4, 2017.

1. Ten_of_a_Kind

Ten_of_a_Kind New Member

Hi Zidoo,

I've recently purchased the X9S and have been plagued with random hangs. Every movie-night starts with at least 10-15 hard boots (through the power switch) until I get one movie going!

This seems to me tied to the fact that I have a 2.5" external HD connected through either the USB 3, or the SATA cable. The USB 3 read speeds are very slow too, in the range of 9.5Mbs to 15Mbs ... and then a random hang in middle of copying!

When a hang occurs nothing will respond. Not the mouse (through USB 2 receiver), nor IR remote. Disconnecting the external HD doesn't help. Sometimes a random "Gallery is not responding, Wait / Kill?" message will pop up (or some other app), but no matter the selection nothing will avoid the hang. The GUI does appear to continue to run though, as in I see the time passing in the clock.

Firmware: 1.2.11 (even though 1.2.12 is available it says "Your software is up to date")
    Audio out: Auto --> RAW
    WiFi: Off
    LAN: Disconnected
    HDMI In: Disconnected

Please help, I'd hate to return this product back to the store.

Regards,
    - Ten_of_a_Kind

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  2. freeroc

freeroc Active Member

3. Ten_of_a_Kind

Ten_of_a_Kind New Member

Hi freeroc,

Yes, I was using ES File Explorer, which has been uninstalled.

Update: Just now most recent hang with above mentioned external HDD connected through SATA cable. No mouse, no remote, just another hard-power-switch-reboot.
    I'm not sure if this is connected to when the HDD powers down that kills Zidoo or not. Also had a "ZIUI is not responding, Wait / Kill" message, but no matter the reply to these messages (with random app name), the result is always a hang.

I haven't seen a hang yet when the HDD was disconnected, so I am looking at something relating to the HDD connection (through either USB 3 or SATA).

Also I have VLC installed on the device (don't know if there is a background service running or not).

Desperate,
    - Ten_of_a_Kind

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  4. freeroc

freeroc Active Member

5. Ten_of_a_Kind

Ten_of_a_Kind New Member

1.2.12 brought no NTFS harddisk news. The status remains:

Zidoo + NTFS harddisk (on USB or SATA) = GUI freezes

6. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

If after a factory reset problems remain, I would take up contact with the shop that sold you the player for an RMA procedure (to get a replacement).
    It sounds like a HW problem to me.

7. Ten_of_a_Kind

Ten_of_a_Kind New Member

@freeroc (or any other Zidoo Tech Suppoter) Do you thing this the case? Do me and this guy just have bad units? If so then I'll contact Amazon who sold it.

Other than this issue, all is good, so I believe this is a driver problem.

Please let me know.

8. freeroc

freeroc Active Member

I think there are two possibilities,
    first one, your hard drive is slow, then it resulted in thread blocking in the processor of the box.
    But it may work well with a computer because the CPU of the computer is far more strong than box's.
    The 2nd possibility is box's hardware error. You can consider replacing it through Amazon store.