Raised Black Floor with VS10 output - Please Help

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619BPD)' started by JS786, Apr 6, 2024.

1. JS786

JS786 New Member

Hi,

I've just purchased a Z9X Pro for the purpose of playing DV content from MKV files on my LG C3.

Unfortunately with any DV content the black floor seems to be raised as the initial logo screens and any text displayed on a black background exhibits a grey dirty screen effect instead of pure black. This persists throughout the movie and I can see the black bars are also not completely black. This issue has essentially rendered DV content unwatchable for me and am desperate for a fix as this is what I had purchased the box for and now thinking of returning it.

I tested content with HDR10 grading and this has no issues whatsoever - the blacks are as they are supposed to be, so the issue I feel is with any VS10 output. My TV is DV capable so I don't see an issue there.

I've tried tinkering with various settings to no avail, so I am seeking some expertise on the matter.

I am on firmware v1.0.69 (no OTA updates available).

Thank you in advance.

2. xskip

xskip Active Member

dload and update to 1.0.75,
    settings: Display/HDR: Auto

3. JS786

JS786 New Member

Thanks for your reply.
    I thought 1.0.75 was in beta? Should I still upgrade to it - is there an official release now?

My HDR settings are indeed on Auto

4. cucnz

cucnz Active Member

all zidoo f/w is eaither alpha ,which only certain testers get ,or beta ,which we all get
    occassionaly when theres a stable f/w itll be put out OTA (but still usually a beta)

75 will solve a lot of issues

5. JS786

JS786 New Member

Update:

So I updated the firmware and the issue persisted. I did find somewhat of a solution however. I chose the first EDID option and it fixed the black levels. The problem is that broke the audio - now it's choppy, laggy, and produces artificats (no matter the audio options I select).

Does anyone have more insight into my problems? Is there some sort of custom EDID I can use for my C3 instead?

6. xskip

xskip Active Member

7. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

The only current black level issue is when HLG is played through VS10. In that case the black floor is raised considerably although native HLG is fine.

There used to be a raised black floor on the video background layer behind cropped video, so that only affected black bars behind cropped video and definitely not the video content itself. But this was not restricted to DV. It also affected HDR10, both natively and through VS10. This was fixed in v1.0.61.

If you're seeing a raised black floor in DV only then I'd suggest it's likely a setting in the display - the Zidoo outputs black correctly at 64. I very much doubt it's a file issue.

The only difference, picture wise, between the first EDID option in the Zidoo and your C3 EDID are the defined colour primaries and min/max nits in the Dolby Vision Block

That EDID has BT.2020 primaries specified so that it can be used to display LLDV on non Dolby displays using a standard HDR10 BT.2020 profile. It's not meant for Dolby Vision displays.

Your C3 will have its own primaries specified to match the capabilities of the display and while from experience I know that LG DV primaries are usually close to BT.2020, I don't have a copy of the C3 EDID so can't tell you exactly how close. The upshot of using that EDID with a Dolby Vision display will be that colours will therefore be slightly out.

That EDID also has TMaxPQ (maximum nits output) set to 1000nits which will doubtless be more than your display - LGs tend to be about 700nits with earlier ones being as low as 350nits. This can affect tone mapping but not black levels.

That EDID also has all audio modes specified, from AC3 up to DTS-X and TrueHD Atmos, so that might explain the audio issues.

If you can post your EDID both with the Zidoo connected directly to the C3 and then connected as you normally use it (if different - eg through amp etc) I might be able to shed some light - there is a minimum nits value defined in the Dolby Block and it's just possible that's set to something mad. It's worth a look, although I doubt that's the case because all LGs I've seen have min nits of either 0.000 or 0.001.

To Download EDID
    ================

Settings/Display/Custom EDID/Save EDID

Save to a USB stick or network location.

Change the file extension from .bin to .txt to upload to the forum

(The forum won't accept .bin files)

8. JS786

JS786 New Member

Hi,

Thanks for your detailed reply. I understand that these issues aren't supposed to be there but I can only report what I see, which is a grey background to the files I'm playing (every DV file). I've adjusted every single setting on my TV and Zudoo and this issue persists - I've run out of ideas now.

So far I have gotten the best results from selecting the 2nd EDID down from the list (the Sony one) - this makes blacks completely black and also allows the audio to work.

I have uploaded the EDID .txt file, but there's a bunch of weird symbols on it I'm not sure if that's supposed to be the case. I followed your instructions.

Do you know where I can get an EDID for the LG C2 or C3? This seems to be the only solution.

Kind regards.

Attached Files:

• edid.txt
      File size:
      256 bytes
      Views:
  9. Markswift2003

Ok, so the Dolby Block in your EDID decodes as below:

DV Version: 2
    DV DM Version: reserved
    DV Interface: standard and low latency 422 12bit
    2160p60: supported
    YUV422 12bit: not supported
    Global Dimming: not supported
    Backlight Control: not supported, default 100 nits
    RED Primary: 0.676, 0.320
    GREEN Primary: 0.258, 0.688
    BLUE Primary: 0.148, 0.051
    MAX/MIN Luminance: 670 / 0.008 nits

So the Primaries are close to DCI-P3 but not BT.2020

The max nits is 670 so if you use a 1000nit EDID you'll lose some (but not much) tone mapping.

The min nits is 0.008 which is higher than I've seen on other LG sets (usually 0.000 or 0.001)

The Sony EDID you tried is LLDV only so I can only assume that the issue is in the way TV Led Dolby Vision is set up in your display - try disabling custom EDID so you're using you own EDID again and set the Zidoo to output Player Led Dolby Vision (Settings/Display/Dolby Vision compatible mode/Priority LLDV (Player Led) ) and see if that makes a difference.

When you say "Do you know where I can get an EDID for the LG C2 or C3?" - you already have a C3 EDID and the C2 is a different set so not really useful.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2024
    xskip likes this.
  10. JS786

JS786 New Member

Thanks for your help.

I'm sure I've tried switching to TV led, which yielded rhe same result. I'll confirm this again tomorrow. Does this mean that this is simply a compatibility issue between the Zidoo and C3? I assumed this was a pretty common use case scenario to be using the Zidoo with a newer LG OLED, so why doesn't it work?

What do you suggest I do in this case? When I said how do I get an EDID for the C3 I meant a correct one that reflects the true capabilities of the display so the blacks won't be raised. Could you maybe edit the existing EDID to have a 0.000 value for the min nits?

11. Thanh Nguyen

Thanh Nguyen Member

Isnt the MaxL a bit low for a C3 and it's usually 0.001 for Min for Previous LG Oleds. Something feels off about the read out of those.

12. Markswift2003

Sorry - That was a typo - I meant to say try Player Led (LLDV) because that Sony EDID you tried is LLDV only. But from what you say above, I assume you were using Player Led anyway.

Ok, be interesting to see if this works (it shouldn't!)

Try this - it's your EDID with TMin set to 0.000, no other changes.

https://mega.nz/file/pTIVyIDY#pPmQWfDUwx8mUfEL4hkZgULcNny9HrTRYlSCmjeZSgw

13. Markswift2003

It varies per panel - for example the B6 & C6 are 700/0.001, the C7 is 350/0.001, the B8 is 500/0.000, the C9 is 700/0.000 and the CX is 750/0.000.

T-MaxPQ and T-MinPQ are a measure of how bright and dark the panel can actually go and as long as the value in the Dolby Block is correct, black is black.

I guess LG probably don't like those figures bandied around because a lot of the max values are quite low compared to say Sony which tend to be 1037 (the highest Sony I've seen is 1605).

Must admit I've never seen 0.008 on a flatscreen before - I've seen Vizios at 0.005, and even projectors at 0.057 which is to be expected, but 0.008 is very high for an LG in my experience.

dr4go and xskip like this.
  14. JS786

JS786 New Member

Thank you very much for your help, this seems to have fixed the issue.

May I ask what you used to view and edit the EDID, for my future reference in case I encounter a similar issue again?

15. Markswift2003

I use Deltacast EDID editor:

https://www.deltacast.tv/products/free-software/e-edid-editor

Although this allows you to change the hex values of the Dolby VSDB, it doesn't decode the Dolby Block which is not public domain.

16. Markswift2003

Similar problems with another C3 owner - seems it's an LG issue. Just to show the big boys can make a right arse of things as well...

Cropped Dolby Vision with grey bars