Please advice: Buying an iPAD or Tablet with my DMP-A6?

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A6' started by Nice Monkey, Aug 10, 2023.

1. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

I am considering to get a bigger screen to be used in landscape .

What would be the best choice going the iPAD way or just getting an Android Tablet?
    I am a lot more familiar with Android but it will be mostly a dedicate device. So that is not the most relevant aspect.
    Tablets are cheaper to get I guess so if equal a plus?

The long(er) term view of Eversolo is obviously very relevant too.
    iPAD is being developed further and faster I feel. Functionality and friendliness are the main aspects here.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2023
  2. NMWDF

NMWDF Member

I have used a dedicated iPad mini 6 for 2 years without issue. It has an excellent WiFi download speed and I use a unique SSID to avoid conflict with my other iOS devices. The iPad controls several apps that I use solely for my AV system. As I noted below, the newly redesigned iOS control app is specific for the iPad landscape mode, but you still have the original design option when using the portrait mode.

3. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Completely agree - iPad Minis are the way to go - nice form factor and although it pains me to say it (I'm no Apple fan-boy), Apple win out every time over Android tablets - it's just a better user experience.

Spizz and ammar11 like this.
  4. wcseow

wcseow Member

I went for iPad Air instead of Android tablet early this year. I find some Android apps does not work well with Tablet.

The iPad is primarily used as a Roon screen as before Eversolo came, my Lumin D2 does not have a album art screen. So I use my Andriod phone to control and ipad as a screen. But b with Eversolo, I mostly used ipad for the control.

My whole family has generations of Samsung phones, but for tablet, everyone goes for the iPad.

5. Nice Monkey

Looks like we are getting consensus here. I more or less expected this.
    The only thing those iPad Mini's have a real Maxi price tag. They are as expensive as the box it controls.

What about using an older iPad model 2022 or even before?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2023
  6. UEG

UEG New Member

I went for a secondhand iPad mini 5 for this very purpose (Oppo also have a media controller app) and it works like an absolute dream also now controlling the A6. Highly recommend. £100-£150

7. NMWDF

NMWDF Member

Older iPads work well but they tend to be somewhat slower. A new mini 6 sells for $499 in the US, vs $860 for the A6. A refurbished mini 5 is $339 and a refurbished 6 is $419, each on the Apple store. Surely someone on the forum can help you out given your experience and contributions.

8. UEG

UEG New Member

I definitely wouldnt recommend going any older than an ipad mini 5. Despite it being 4yrs old now, its still fully supported by Apple for updates. The mini 5 was also a huge step up in processing power to the previous model. If it's gonna primarily be used as a controller for the A6, a 64GB model will be absolutely fine - possibly even overkill as it's incredibly snappy.
    Plenty on marketplace/gumtree/CEX stores. Good tip before buying is to try check the battery's capacity percentage to see how much it's been hammered. iMazing is a great little free app that helps with that. Hope this helps.

9. Dr. Audio

Dr. Audio Member

As I have written the new iPad app is a waste of space in Landscape Mode with the recent update. It is better in Portrait. The iPad is great for almost anything you can do on a laptop and is much more portable. I use mine for reading, watching, playing and working. It is expensive but it is worth every penny I think. The screen itself n the newer models is so easy on the eyes too.

10. JMD

JMD New Member

You can buy a brand new 9th generation iPad for $269 on Amazon and that's all you'll ever need for streaming. That's almost half the price of the "current 10th generation"

11. Nice Monkey

Thanks' all for your contributions. Will be looking around for an (used) iPad and forget about tablets for this.

12. audio58

audio58 Active Member

I wouldn't use any Apple junk if someone gave it to me. I had nothing but issues years ago using it an a Pioneer N-50, next on a Cambridge CXN. I then went to a PI with a hat using Volumio and a Samsung Android works like a charm.
    I just plain hate Apple and their operating system. Just my opinion!!

Desmodromic likes this.
  13. UEG

UEG New Member

Jeezo, someone needs a hug! I use both iOS and Android with the A6 and find as an app controller, iOS is significantly less buggy and is more stable. Of course, that may change within time.

14. Dfv8

Dfv8 New Member

I just bought an Amazon Fire tablet for £50; works fine for me.