Pink Screen, Then No image on Auto Setting

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Nicholas Hewitt, Apr 18, 2021.

1. Random_Vibration

Random_Vibration Active Member

Saving and manual loading the EDID didn't addressed the issue of no DV and HDR10. Only using the Sony 800H EDID seems to work. The flags for HDR10 and DV are trigger on both the TV and Z9X using the Sony data when an applicable file is played. The saved EDID data does not trigger either mode.

The saved EDID states DV and HDR10 are not supported in the Zidoo Custom EDID tab.

The EDID for 2019 TCL 5 series (S525) is attached. My question is if the Zidoo doesn't see compatibility from the TV in the data it sees, why would the Z9X save any information with that compatibility in the EDID it generates?

Clearly, the TV has DV and HDR10 modes. The Nvida Shield recognizes it as such. These aren't really great on a TCL 5 series but it's there. FW 6.1.15 was the last FW I used where the TV was seen as compatible with DV and HDR10 and no custom EDID was needed.

Attached Files:

• edid.txt
      File size:
      256 bytes
      Views:
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
  2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

LOL - You're not going to like this answer ;)

That EDID does not support HDR10 or DV, in fact it only supports HDMI 1.4 so this completely explains why the Zidoo doesn't switch into HDR.

I know what you're going to say, but I can only tell you what the EDID says...

My suspicion, particularly if it worked previously, is that there's a setting in the TV - certainly my Samsung has a "UHD Colour" setting per HDMI port without which the port speed is only up to HDMI 1.4 standards, although in my case it still contains the HDR blocks (HDR10 & HDR10+). Or it maybe that that particular port is HDMI 1.4 only...

Attached Files:

3. Random_Vibration

You're right, I'm not going like the answer but it helped me solve the problem. The HDMI port the Z9X was using on the TV has three settings (HDMI 1.4, HDMI 2.0, and Auto) Since day one, that particular port has been set to Auto. Apparently, Auto was good enough before but it isn't anymore so I needed to force it to HDMI 2.0. Thanks. Interesting that the last two firmwares got me caught up.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
  4. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Not really sure what "Auto" would mean for an HDMI port - the EDID it puts out is the EDID it puts out. I'm not really sure of the benefit of such settings - it's always confused me why my Samsung has a "UHD Colour" setting that defaults of "Off" - why bother, It should just be HDMI 2 and have done with it! These sort of settings are utterly confusing.

Glad it's sorted though.

5. Random_Vibration

I understand why Auto is present but on my main televisions, forcing to HDMI 2.0 where needed was something I did as a matter of course upon initial setup. This TCL is used more as a monitor than as a TV so my work laptop, personal laptops and computers, game consoles and every other type of device accesses it at one point or another. This comprises of HDMI 2.0b, HDMI 2.0a, and HDMI 1.4 devices. Auto was used since this was a monitor first. My Z9X wasn't supposed to ever make a single connection with this TCL. The initial problems with the Z9X and its designated TV (LG C6) got me into a habit of testing every firmware update with both TVs.

Forcing HDMI 2.0 breaks older devices. Forcing HDMI 1.4 breaks newer devices. Auto, I speculate was to make it respondant to both. There are always limits to Auto settings. I find this to be the case often enough. The mechanism the auto setting uses to judge is not clear. It's interesting that it made it as far as it did on Auto.