Picture stutter

Discussion in 'ZIDOO Z9S' started by gabest, Aug 22, 2019.

1. gabest

gabest New Member

Hi,

I just replaced my old TV with a new LG C8, and I noticed that there is some stuttering in the movies. Not significant, but the picture breaks/stops a few times every minute, which is very annoying. The TV does not produce it while streaming or watching TV, only when I watch movies with the Z9S. Is there any setting on the Zidoo that may be causing this? Any ideas how can I fix it?

Thanks!

2. futeko.com

futeko.com Active Member

Quick settings - Playback - Automatic frame rate - Framne rate mode. Change to Switch frame rate only or Switch frame rate and resolution.

3. gabest

gabest New Member

Thank you, it improved it a lot, but still not perfect. When I connect the USB drive with the TV directly, it plays perfectly, stutter free, but when I do it via the Z9S, there is still some stutter occasionally. Also, this is barely noticeable, but the picture is a little bit less clear via the Zidoo than if I connect with the TV directly. I have an LG C8 TV.

4. Ovidiu Necula

Ovidiu Necula Member

Hi, I have the same tv but Z9 as a mediaplayer and it's working just fine. you should play with motion setting from TV it self if you already set Switch frame rate and resolution on Z9s. look on rtings review of the tv for recommended settings.

5. gabest

gabest New Member

Thanks, my TV is calibrated per RTINGS already. Can you tell me what does "switch frame rate and resolution" do exactly?

6. kfpanda

kfpanda Member

basically z9s will negotiate between the source frame rate (usually 23.9hz for movies) and display capability. if your tv is capable of 4k60hz and is set to 60hz, then u might see 3:2 pull down type artifact. while in the movie, press "ok" button on the z9s remote, u will see the video setting being used.

in general though, i also noticed horizontal panning stutter in 24 fps material seems to be more apparent on the z9s and i decided to turn on motion flow on my tv to compensate (contrary to the common advice)

7. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

To clarify:

Switch Frame Rate & Resolution is effectively source direct - it outputs the frame rate and resolution of the original file.

So if the file is 1080p 23.976fps, the Zidoo will output at that resolution and that frame rate. Likewise if it's 4K60, it'll output that.

It's very important to have this enabled otherwise it will output at the resolution and framerate you set for the GUI in settings and if that doesn't match the file frame rate you'll get pulldown judder.

The Zidoo is one of the very few players out there that outputs frame rate accurately in all modes - if you get the settings right, you'll never see juddering.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
  8. kfpanda

kfpanda Member

re horizontal panning shot stutter/judders, its normal for 24fps materials on big screens, and yes, even in movie theater w traditional film projectors

9. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

I have LG OLED65E6P the last of 3D technology ;) It is 2 years older compared to yours C8 but the concept would be the same.
    LG OLED replaced my very old LCD TV (first generation of LCD 1080P). I couldn't get used to choppy, strobing frame rate coming from fast OLED display when set for 24fps Real Cinema (true 23.976 fps film cadence). I had no idea back then how much blur was in my old LCD TV until I got OLED ;)

Anyway, like you I'm very sensitive to irregular motion, dropped frames, blips etc. My TV is set for motion interpolation using DeJudder function set to level 4 on the scale 0 to 10. It helps a lot with strobing frame transitions however it will amplify any skipped frame related issues. I've done a lot of testing on Zidoo and my OLED LG. Recent firmware releases corrected the old issue with stutter and doubled frame. More info on this topic here:
    http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?thr...es-and-stutter-issue-with-zidoo-player.12451/

Make sure you have latest firmware. You should not see any significant difference between Zidoo hardware player and TV internal video player unless you run into some odd file formats. Good quality video file with HD resolution and above at standard 23.976fps will play the same from TV or Zidoo. Just make sure you have the same settings selected on the TV when playing from Zidoo and TV player. Some odd files like 1080i will have major stutter issues on Zidoo and play fine on the TV. Don't use Kodi player.

10. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Just to avoid confusion, the Z9S has never suffered from this issue, it was frame perfect from the get go.

This was an issue on the older Zidoo 1295 boxes, for example the X9S, but was fixed in January this year.

3DBuff likes this.
  11. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

True, @gabest mentioned Z9S in the first post.